Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #321
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The fairly modest house I live in has 47, so 49 seems right.

Maybe Locke just lives in a cave feasting on the bones of children. It clears some things up.

It's good that they're thorough and you can pick and choose what to keep/what not to change. Seems obvious, but the program itself includes questionable logic, so good to know it's not completely devoid of it!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:04 AM   #322
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will they let you keep some incandescent bulbs? I have some pot lights in my basement that have a really nice warm glow when dim. I haven't found an LED that works for these.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #323
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I laughed out loud at this, then counted the number of bulbs in my apartment... 26. It doesn't seem too ridiculous a house would have 49.
Thinking about it now I do see it. Its just one of those things where you replace lightbulbs piecemeal so you dont really tend to think about it all at once and theres those fixtures that you consider singular but they have 4 bulbs in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Will they let you keep some incandescent bulbs? I have some pot lights in my basement that have a really nice warm glow when dim. I haven't found an LED that works for these.
What are they going to do? Stop you?

"Give me incandescents or give me Death!"

Then you can have a light bulb in your hand and do the 'FREEEDOM' scene from Braveheart.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #324
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What are they going to do? Stop you?

"Give me incandescents or give me Death!"

Then you can have a light bulb in your hand and do the 'FREEEDOM' scene from Braveheart.
That's the scene where I get to moon a government contractor while not wearing any underwear, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #325
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's the scene where I get to moon a government contractor while not wearing any underwear, right?
Hey....they came to your house....you do you.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #326
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
No, one for one swap out only. If the fixture is empty they wont put one in, they need to take the incandescent bulbs back with them.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #327
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure what size your pot lights are but I think one of these might be what your looking for:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.l...000664138.html

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.l...000747033.html

I have the regular a19 version of these and they do a good job of providing that nice warm glow.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #328
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, the last one I tried would dim to about 20% then turn off. At 20 they were still to bright.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #329
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks, the last one I tried would dim to about 20% then turn off. At 20 they were still to bright.
For my pot lights which are Par 20 I believe, I tried a whole bunch of different bulbs because I like the warm dim glow as well, and the Phillips can go really, really low.

If you aren't having the same results, your switch is likely the culprit. The LED dimmer switches often have an adjustable minimum dim setting that keeps crappy bulbs from flickering. Pop the plate off, and see if you can adjust it down.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #330
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, didn't realize there was a trim adjustment.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #331
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have my appointment tonight. Will update how it goes.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #332
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Have my appointment tonight. Will update how it goes.
Just be careful that they're not a cult...

Old 06-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #333
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've got some light fixtures that I don't have the gear to get at. This is perfect timing!!
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #334
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
I've got some light fixtures that I don't have the gear to get at. This is perfect timing!!
The installer may not have the right gear either. I've read that some times the installers don't have ladders that are tall enough to reach light bulbs and they ask home owners if they can borrow ladders. Also, if the light bulb isn't working it won't be replaced.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #335
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The installer may not have the right gear either. I've read that some times the installers don't have ladders that are tall enough to reach light bulbs and they ask home owners if they can borrow ladders. Also, if the light bulb isn't working it won't be replaced.
I hate to be incredibly sarcastic, but seriously? The most energy efficient lightbulbs are the ones that dont work.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #336
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Also, if the light bulb isn't working it won't be replaced.
Communists!!
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:06 AM   #337
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I hate to be incredibly sarcastic, but seriously? The most energy efficient lightbulbs are the ones that dont work.
So if you're already efficient, why would they replace it with a bulb that'll cost you money?
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:42 AM   #338
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the energy efficient guys came by last night and replaced 33 incandescent light bulbs with LED's. They missed a few in some of our lamps around the house, which is mildly annoying but not a big deal. Some of the light fixtures they opened, they put back crooked which is now a project for me to straighten them.

They offered to replace the aerators on our faucets, which we declined. Because of a comment made in this thread earlier on, I went to the trouble of taking my Nest off and putting on an older thermostat before they came. However, they didn't look at it or offer anything to replace it, so once they left I put the Nest back. The older one was programmable so maybe that had something to do with it.

They don't offer replacement weather stripping or anything like that.

They were polite and courteous, mentioned that the interactions they've had so far in people's homes have been generally positive. At the end there was a short survey that took about 2 minutes to complete.

They emphasized multiple times that everything they had done is absolutely free, because I guess there are some scam artists out there who are following them around and presenting people with a bill after they leave.

Over 120,000 households in the province signed up for this program, which is more than ten times what the projected number was, according to them. The guys that came to our place said they generally stay in one quadrant of the city and can do about 5 houses per day. Yesterday, out of 5 houses, one cancelled about an hour before, and one told them, "no, we're good, our house is already efficient" when they arrived.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote