Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Renting in Calgary

I'll be looking to rent in Calgary starting in September and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice at all that they wished they had known before renting.

Also, any buildings or companies to avoid or look for would be nice.

Wish list:

Inner city or close to a c-train station, no further away than 2 stops from downtown
Nothing East of Deerfoot
loft or 1-bedroom
condo/apartment building
Kitchen is the most important thing to me, looking for something renovated with modern appliances and a decent amount of space.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Budget?

www.rentfaster.ca is the best website I've found. I use the "Search by Map" function.

I have some buildings in mind, but would need to know your budget first.
The Following User Says Thank You to rd_aaron For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't want to limit myself by saying $1,000 if there's something great for $1,100 so let's just say I'm on a modest student salary and would be looking for bang-for-my-buck but nothing more than around $1,250 a month including all utilities, cable, and internet.

I really have no idea if my desires are realistic. I am not opposed to roommating up and looking at 2-bedrooms either, if what I want can't be had on my own.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

you will get a better bang for your buck if you have a room mate although it can bring up problems. That should be your first decision.
Then as mentioned above, rent faster is the site that comes to mind when people seek rental properties.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 03-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah my preference is to live alone but if my expectations for price/location aren't realistic I've got a roommate in mind that I have lived with before and am comfortable living with again.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

The combination of that location, new/reno'd kitchen, and price is going to make things much harder. If you compromise on 1 of those 3 it'll be easy.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Hey, if anyone has any places they want to rent starting May 1 - let me know. The girlfriends lease expires. She is a U of C medical student and will be performing her clerkship and the 3 major hospitals in the city (mainly rockyview).

I am a mechanical engineer working at a design firm in the city . I have great credit, don't smoke and have no pets. We would prefer to live north of Heritage, east of Sarcee Trail, South of Bow trail (although I love kensington and would do a viewing, if you don't mind the fact that it might be a waste of your time...), and west of macleod, however, all of those limits are not set in stone.

We are not really interested in main floor or bedroom suites. I won't list price ranges, but we are looking for over the $1200 per month mark.

Send me a private msg if you may have something.

Thank you,

Kavy
Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
Jiggyiggy
Draft Pick

If anyone has any rental properties and are looking for tenants I could be your guy!
Looking for Oct 1 or sooner and I am looking for a two bedroom unit, close to downtown.

I work in Investment Management and I am looking for something closer to the office where walking to work is atleast a possibility.

Looking to spend $1200-$1500ish, and would need parking to be available.

If anybody has any leads just send me a PM. I have been looking pretty hard on rentfaster and kijiji with no luck so far.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggyiggy View Post
If anyone has any rental properties and are looking for tenants I could be your guy!
Looking for Oct 1 or sooner and I am looking for a two bedroom unit, close to downtown.

I work in Investment Management and I am looking for something closer to the office where walking to work is atleast a possibility.

Looking to spend $1200-$1500ish, and would need parking to be available.

If anybody has any leads just send me a PM. I have been looking pretty hard on rentfaster and kijiji with no luck so far.

Thanks!
Are you willing to go for walks with your potential new landlord/roommate?
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I was looking the other day and saw some pretty nice apartments for rent in and around the beltline that would meet all of your requirements. Probably at the higher end of your budget though and not close to the c-train but inner-city like you requested.

Something like this for example:

http://www.rentfaster.ca/calgary-apa...NUSU5HNzAyNzc=

Last edited by polak; 09-06-2012 at 04:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
Jiggyiggy
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Are you willing to go for walks with your potential new landlord/roommate?
As much as I love long walks, I actually already have a roommate.