Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #301
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Hargreaves to Man City as well, I don't like that at all, United stuck by him through his injuries for years and he turns around and goes to their rivals
Did he turn down an offer from United? Barring that I don't really see the problem, even as a United supporter. United opted not to resign him, he should be out there looking for the best opportunity available. The notion that he owes United something is pretty ridiculous when they made the decision to let him go.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #302
DeanOMac
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Did he turn down an offer from United? Barring that I don't really see the problem, even as a United supporter. United opted not to resign him, he should be out there looking for the best opportunity available. The notion that he owes United something is pretty ridiculous when they made the decision to let him go.
Actually he offered to play for free in the hopes of staying at United.

http://www.football365.com/transfer-...-PLAY-FOR-FREE
Old 08-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #303
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get that, but he had offers from a ton of teams

I just think it's kind of bad form since he was such a waste at United (I saw a stat that they paid something like 750k per game for him counting wages)

and he goes to their rivals on a free
Old 08-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #304
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I get that, but he had offers from a ton of teams

I just think it's kind of bad form since he was such a waste at United (I saw a stat that they paid something like 750k per game for him counting wages)

and he goes to their rivals on a free
But what did he owe United? He offered to play there for free apparently (thanks for the link Dean) and they didn't want him. His concern, like that of any other free agent, should be finding the situation that works best for him. This idea that any professional athlete owes something to a team that has made the choice to cut them loose is ridiculous.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #305
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The England international, who is a member of the squad for the forthcoming Euro 2012 qualification double-header against Bulgaria and Wales, has been in talks with Spurs during the summer.

Skysports.com reported earlier on Tuesday a deal was close after Tottenham and West Ham reached an agreement and the transfer is now close to a conclusion ahead of Wednesday's deadline.

After ignoring pleas to stay from West Ham boss Sam Allardyce and club officials, Parker has handed in a transfer request at Upton Park, as he edges closer to switch to White Hart Lane.

The 30-year-old told West Ham's official website: "I have had a fantastic four years at West Ham Unitedand will never forget all the support I have had from the fans and everyone associated with the club.

"The manager and board have tried hard to convince me to stay but at this stage in my career, I need to be playing in the Premier League, especially now that I am involved with England.

"I hope the fans will understand and respect my decision and I wish the club every success in their fight for promotion this season."
Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #306
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
But what did he owe United? He offered to play there for free apparently (thanks for the link Dean) and they didn't want him. His concern, like that of any other free agent, should be finding the situation that works best for him. This idea that any professional athlete owes something to a team that has made the choice to cut them loose is ridiculous.
I just think that after all he put United through he does owe them something

But I can certainly see the other side of the argument
Old 08-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #307
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's also those non-football factors: he's probably got a nice place in Manchester already, maybe he likes the city, he feels settled there, etc.

I'm glad that he's getting another shot, but I do wonder that with all of City's high-priced, high-profile players, that he might not see the field much. I would have expected him to sign somewhere where he would have a greater chance of making an impact. But then again, maybe being a sub but doing some good training is just what the doctor ordered.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #308
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Non issue to me. He's not going to play a game anyways so what does it matter?

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
Old 08-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #309
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

LeeClayton_ Lee Clayton
by philmcnulty
Parker deal is done from #westham to #spurs subject to medical tomorrow. £5m is the fee I believe and no loans in return after all, it seems

great bit of business
Old 08-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #310
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sunderland are close to selling Gyan for 6m + add ons, bought him for 15m
Old 08-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #311
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

So, any legs behind this Dempsey to Arsenal rumor?

Goal.com claims they have an interest, and it may lead to Fulham signing Bryan Ruiz from FC Twente, which was just announced for $10.6m.

Quote:
Arsenal has a realistic chance of signing Fulham midfielder Clint Dempsey as the team desperately searches for valuable players as the transfer window comes to a close. A source close to the player told Goal.com that Arsenal will acquire Dempsey within the next 48 hours as long as Fulham does not set the price too high.

Fulham coach Martin Jol is ready to make a late move for FC Twente's Bryan Ruiz if he loses Dempsey. The 26-year-old Costa Rican has been closely tracked by Fulham during the window and has admitted that he is open to a move to England...

As an American, I'd like to see him on the Gunners. He'd certainly add some depth in the midfield, and I like his playmaking ability.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #312
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

@SkySportsNews reports Ruiz has signed with Fulham. He scored 44 (not 43) goals in all competitions since joining Twente in 2009.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #313
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Moe View Post
So, any legs behind this Dempsey to Arsenal rumor?
Out of all the rumours I'm hearing, this is one of the less likely. I don't think Dempsey fits the Wenger mould both age wise and in style. If he scored goals by the bunch (e.g. Drogba) or had a plethora of experience (e.g. Parker) I'd be more inclined to believe the rumour but... Keep in mind that I do dislike the guy and thought we'd hold out for Barca to offer £40m for Cesc.

In addition to wrapping up deals for ze German Giant and Santos, I'd like to see Wenger pick up Hazard and/or Martin tomorrow. We really need some creativity in the mid and on the left flank, which is why I can't see Wenger breaking the club transfer record for M'Vila.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
The Following User Says Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #314
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

sky saying he's back for another round on the tour

only other noteworthy move today (besides the stuff that was announced yesterday like Parker and Cole) is Scott Dann to Blackburn which is a great signing. Him and Samba should be great
Old 08-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #315
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arsenal are in for Arteta according to the BBC

great player, hope it doesnt happen
Old 08-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #316
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

David Bentley on loan to West Ham for a year
Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #317
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crouch on his way to Stoke

Hutton and Jenas having medicals at Villa

Ngog having a medical at Bolton
Old 08-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #318
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arsene lowballed Everton and Arteta and now everywhere is saying any type of deal is off
Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #319
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The rumour of $10 mill for Arteta seems like a fair entry offer. Personally I want to see a top signing, not a poor man's Cesc.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #320
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny61 View Post
The rumour of $10 mill for Arteta seems like a fair entry offer. Personally I want to see a top signing, not a poor man's Cesc.
probably fair value wise, but Everton need the cash, their fans are pissed, and they probably wouldn't have any time to line up somebody else so to them its a lowball

would need to be 15+ to get it done I would think
Closed Thread