Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #1
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Cycle Track Network One Year Old

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-1.3648543?cmp

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...year-1.3647245

Quote:
Calgary's Cycle Track Network seems to be catching on among women and families as the experiment reaches 770,000 logged trips since it opened a year ago, the project co-ordinator says.

"I can definitely say we're exceeding our expectations a bit," Tom Thivener, the city's cycling co-ordinator told the Homestretch.
Seems like a pretty big success all in all.

I know there was a 422 post thread on bike lanes the first time around, but I think we can refresh the discussion a year later.

Personally I've bought a bike and used the bike lanes 10-15 times in the last year - not huge, but it's 10-15 car trips that I didn't make.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love love love the cycle track network. I was living in the beltline at this time last year, now live in mission. I use the network to get around, try to leave my car at home as much as possible. Seeing cyclists using it makes me happy and kind of creates a sense of community and is adding to the revitalization and shift of the beltline and downtown.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Waiting for Sean Chu's official numbers
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #4
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even though I don't use it, I am completely in favour of the cycle track, with the exception of the cluster#### that is the lane situation on 12th Ave. Hopefully they can sort that out, so that parking is consistently on one side and lanes run straight through from 11th St to 1st St.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Waiting for Sean Chu's official numbers
Sean Chu's numbers will be best numbers. And don't bother asking for sources, not necessary.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did they have an estimate for the number of trips before the cycle track was important implemented? As 770k is just a number I want to know new trips generated.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

One amazing thing I found was that on some roads, cycle track traffic makes up 10% of total traffic. Those are the ones that can't be denied as being hugely successful. These include 7th st, 8th ave(due to low vehicle traffic) and 5th st. 12 ave doesn't' fair as well.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 06-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #8
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

anecdotal evidence but at least this year i've noticed far fewer people using the bike lanes, especially on 8th ave on the west side of downtown
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #9
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Even though I don't use it, I am completely in favour of the cycle track, with the exception of the cluster#### that is the lane situation on 12th Ave. Hopefully they can sort that out, so that parking is consistently on one side and lanes run straight through from 11th St to 1st St.
Whoever decided that's how they should paint the lanes should be shot.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let me introduce you to the Calgary Roads dept. Where they set everything up for failure, at least once, but usually 2 or 3 times.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:58 PM   #11
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm a little worried about the 12th Ave stretch. I love it because the office is right there but it doesn't seem as popular as the other routes. Hopefully usage picks up on that route.

If we had more Flames games going into May and June (and a place to park all the bikes) it'd be a fun way to get to games.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #12
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I've pretty much accepted the cycle track. There looks to be one going up Edmonton Trail which I may start using. Calgary is not the best city to have a cycle network so I expect there to be issues for a while.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

If the city could offer casual cyclists a better/easier climb to get from downtown up the hill than the current options, that would help people cycle more as well.

Currently there's the long 10th street climb, centre street bridge (annoyingly small pathway for both bikes and pedestrians squeezing past each other), and the steep climb up capitol hill beside the curling center stairs.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #14
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

12th and 5th are doing really well - above the expected weekday average. 7th Still going strong. The ends of 12th ave aren't great, but they just kind of lead to nowhere right now.

8th is the one that's consistently below the anticipated, but let's be honest, the estimates were a bit of a wild ass guess. Nevertheless, the west part of 8th ave is currently getting about 600-700 a weekday, which is not insignificant. It's' also about double the amount compared to mid-may, which is a bigger increase than any other part of the cycle track network in that span, so it seems to be gaining popularity.

http://calgary.bike/grafana/dashboar...l-daily-graphs

Overall, the numbers and the ridership growth are impressive, especially considering the downtown core has probably lost about 15%-20% of its work day population in the downturn.
GGG
Old 06-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #15
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I haven't used them yet (I'm not downtown that often) but I like the idea of them. The only part I hate is the 12th Ave and 1st St SE area. On the weekend now, the left most lane of 1st St SE right before 12th Ave is parking (which means you have to suddenly merge if there's cars there) and the way it's set up on 12th Ave makes going north on MacLeod to get out of downtown a pain in the butt.

If they keep expanding the network will we eventually see some bike shares set up? Would be nice for people to train downtown and then use bikes to get to their destination (especially if it's down by 17th Ave or in Mission).

rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #16
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Still see people riding their bikes right on Elbow drive, even though their is clearly a separate bicycle track right beside. Makes me want to run them over.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:07 PM   #17
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
12th and 5th are doing really well - above the expected weekday average. 7th Still going strong. The ends of 12th ave aren't great, but they just kind of lead to nowhere right now.

8th is the one that's consistently below the anticipated, but let's be honest, the estimates were a bit of a wild ass guess. Nevertheless, the west part of 8th ave is currently getting about 600-700 a weekday, which is not insignificant. It's' also about double the amount compared to mid-may, which is a bigger increase than any other part of the cycle track network in that span, so it seems to be gaining popularity.

http://calgary.bike/grafana/dashboar...l-daily-graphs

Overall, the numbers and the ridership growth are impressive, especially considering the downtown core has probably lost about 15%-20% of its work day population in the downturn.
Even though 8th ave is low, it is still 10% of vehicle traffic. I think that makes it more significant than the numbers show.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2016, 06:27 AM   #18
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The bike path along Elbow covers only a very short stretch of a couple of blocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Still see people riding their bikes right on Elbow drive, even though their is clearly a separate bicycle track right beside. Makes me want to run them over.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #19
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
The bike path along Elbow covers only a very short stretch of a couple of blocks.
I think he means the suggested bike route that runs mostly on 5th street, but also has some bike path segments. I think taking Elbow is far simpler and quicker for cyclists, but I can see why vehicle drivers would be annoyed.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #20
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't bike at all, but I work in the Beltline (previously on the corner of 12 & 5th) and I've become a huge fan of bike lanes.

I'd say 90% of the cyclist I see using them follow the new traffic signals and it's kept 99% of the cyclist off the sidewalks. As a pedestrian in the area I feel much safer walking around because I'm not dodging bikes on the sidewalks, nor am I trying to guess if they're going to stop for a red light or not.

So from a non-biking perspective I think they've been a big success and I hope they stick around permanently.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post: