Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
Lee~
Draft Pick

Default My dog needs surgery - Best Cheap Vet?

Hey gang,

So my chocolate lab is having all sorts of problems. He's growing a tumor underneath his eyelid and it's literally pushing into his eye. It looks super uncomfortable.

We took him to the vet and they need to remove it before it gets too big, but they quoted me at $2000 (they also want to remove a tumor on his leg, and send it in for testing to make sure it's not cancer).

Unfortunately I lost my job 6 months ago - bad economy and I was an electrician. So money is really tight for us. we're calling around trying to find a vet that might be able to do it for a reasonable price. Anyone have any suggestions?

--------------------------------------
DELETED BY MOD

Last edited by Lee~; 04-25-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Lee~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Really sorry to hear. I have heard small town vets are less expensive. We go to eastern slopes in Black Diamond and they are great, but I'm not sure if it's any cheaper? Maybe call around to chestermere, airdrie and okotoks and see? We went through something similar with our friendbeast and he had $7000 surgery on his back. We definitely paid a premium and he had his surgery at the clinic in heritage meadows. One thing though is all of our follow up appointments were free, so keep in mind paying more up front doesn't necessarily mean you pay more in the long run.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

That totally sucks

Unfortunately you may need to go a road trip to find what you might consider cheap. like maybe northern Saskatchewan.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #4
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Really sorry to hear. I have heard small town vets are less expensive. We go to eastern slopes in Black Diamond and they are great, but I'm not sure if it's any cheaper? Maybe call around to chestermere, airdrie and okotoks and see? We went through something similar with our friendbeast and he had $7000 surgery on his back. We definitely paid a premium and he had his surgery at the clinic in heritage meadows. One thing though is all of our follow up appointments were free, so keep in mind paying more up front doesn't necessarily mean you pay more in the long run.
I'm a huge animal lover but I have to say I would never hand over $7000 to a vet for any operation, I would take my companion on a holiday to Mexico first and pay 5% of that.

I guess the rumors are true that vets make more money than human doctors.

I think it's time for some price regulations.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Elizabeth Street Pet Hospital in Okotoks. Great place, quite a bit cheaper than Calgary.

Hope your pooch feels better!
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 10:14 PM   #6
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sorry, I don't have any vet recommendations, but maybe you could consider a Go Fund Me page? I just recently contributed to a fund for my colleague's friend's dog who got attacked by a neighbour's dog that now refuses to help pay the $7k vet bill I would contribute to your fund if that's what you decide to do.

Good luck, hope your puppy feels better soon!
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASP#26525 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Vets in Rimby are wayyy cheaper

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #8
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I'm a huge animal lover but I have to say I would never hand over $7000 to a vet for any operation, I would take my companion on a holiday to Mexico first and pay 5% of that.

Meh, it was a very serious surgery and he was only 4 years old at the time and his breed is expected to live 12-14 years. Had he been older we would have maybe made a different decision. He makes us laugh every single day and is a part of our family, so as much as we didn't love shelling out that type of dough it was the right decision. If you aren't willing to make these types of decisions you shouldn't make the decision to purchase or adopt an animal.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 11:23 PM   #9
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've heard from many people that Beddington Vet is cheaper than most. However, they were recently in the news, for burning a cat in their care or something like that (I didn't see the actual news story, only outraged FB posts) so I'm not sure of the details. I've been there in the past with foster dogs and never had any concerns, but it was only for minor things.

Vets in smaller towns are reportedly cheaper as well, but if you have to travel a long distance for numerous follow-up appointments, it negates the savings quickly.

A couple other resources:
-Tails of Help provides assistance to financially challenged pet owners: http://www.tailsofhelp.com
-Pet Card, like a credit card for vet expenses: https://www.petcard.ca

Outside the box suggestion: Maybe an animal rescue could help out in some way, in exchange for providing electrician services?

Good luck and hope all goes well for your pup.

Last edited by Amethyst; 04-22-2017 at 11:25 PM. Reason: typos
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 11:28 PM   #10
Lee~
Draft Pick

Quote:
I'll definitely call around the small towns and check if they have a smaller quote for me. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:38 PM   #11
Lee~
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP#26525 View Post
Sorry, I don't have any vet recommendations, but maybe you could consider a Go Fund Me page? I just recently contributed to a fund for my colleague's friend's dog who got attacked by a neighbour's dog that now refuses to help pay the $7k vet bill I would contribute to your fund if that's what you decide to do.

Good luck, hope your puppy feels better soon!
Thank you, I hadn't thought of a Go Fund Me, I'll certainly consider it if we can't find any solution soon.

I'll take everyone's suggestions here and call around tomorrow and hopefully find a decent quote, and then decide what to do next. Thanks for helping!
Old 04-22-2017, 11:56 PM   #12
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

My longtime cat started to go shortly after we moved back to Calgary when I was employment challenged and stressed about cash. Took her to Fish Creek animal hospital a few times during that span and they always gave me "compassionate pricing", I love the main veterinarian there. He didn't even charge me at all one time, and definitely gave my cat a couple extra years. Highly recommend
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #13
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Are you saying you took your dog to Mexico for surgery or for a holiday?
Old 04-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #14
Guest1

A friend told me that she takes her pets to a vet in Montana. She says it's half of what it is up here (anywhere)
Old 04-23-2017, 09:30 AM   #15
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
A friend told me that she takes her pets to a vet in Montana. She says it's half of what it is up here (anywhere)
Yup. I've heard of lots of people that go to Eureka. May not be as cheap now with the dollar though.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #16
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

a friend of mine takes her dogs to the vet in Sundre. Way cheaper than my vet in Calgary
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #17
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vet clinic in Claresholm is much cheaper than Calgary. I've had both of my dogs' dental work done there for half the amount quoted in Calgary. Nanton is affordable too.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #18
dre
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Most of the surgeries are covered for us humans. Not so much for animals.
That is why it seems expensive.
dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #19
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Are you saying you took your dog to Mexico for surgery or for a holiday?
I'm saying before I would pay a Vet $7000.00 I would pack him up and take him to Mexico where veterinary costs are sometimes under 10% of the costs here. But yeah since I'm there on the cheap maybe recovery on the beach would be nice.
Quote:
Meh, it was a very serious surgery and he was only 4 years old at the time and his breed is expected to live 12-14 years. Had he been older we would have maybe made a different decision. He makes us laugh every single day and is a part of our family, so as much as we didn't love shelling out that type of dough it was the right decision. If you aren't willing to make these types of decisions you shouldn't make the decision to purchase or adopt an animal.
I didn't say I wouldn't have the operation, I said I would never pay that outrageous amount. of course you want to save your pet but there are other options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre View Post
Most of the surgeries are covered for us humans. Not so much for animals.
That is why it seems expensive.

which is why I mentioned "it's time for some price regulations"

Vets are crooks here because they are allowed to be.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #20
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Some good suggestions in this thread already. You also might want to ask some of these vet clinics if they need any electrical work done. Maybe changing over their clinic to LEDs? Might be able to work off your dog's bill that way.

Good luck with it, and I'm hoping for the best for your guy.
mikephoen is online now   Reply With Quote