Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2023, 11:42 AM   #2261
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Imagine how bad the McGregor ego would've been if he had somehow beaten Khabib? Not a day goes by I'm not glad Khabib humbled that washed up fraud. Easiest fight in the division.
bdubbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 12:20 PM   #2262
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Imagine how bad the McGregor ego would've been if he had somehow beaten Khabib? Not a day goes by I'm not glad Khabib humbled that washed up fraud. Easiest fight in the division.
Haha

I know people just love to hate Conor, but the guy was absolutely not a fraud when it came to stepping into the octagon. 100% the real deal.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 02:15 PM   #2263
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Haha

I know people just love to hate Conor, but the guy was absolutely not a fraud when it came to stepping into the octagon. 100% the real deal.
At the time he was resoundingly beaten by Khabib? He hadn't fought for 2 years(!) yet maintained his top 10 ranking because Dana White has to keep his cash cow there.

His record at Lightweight is a joke, with wins coming against over the hill fighters who match up poorly with him due to his superior reach advantage. He could kick my ass, but I believe Khabib when he says he's the easiest fight in the division.
Old 12-18-2023, 02:37 PM   #2264
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At the time he was resoundingly beaten by Khabib? He hadn't fought for 2 years(!) yet maintained his top 10 ranking because Dana White has to keep his cash cow there.

His record at Lightweight is a joke, with wins coming against over the hill fighters who match up poorly with him due to his superior reach advantage. He could kick my ass, but I believe Khabib when he says he's the easiest fight in the division.
Every fighter ends up being "washed up"

In his prime Mcgregor was the real deal dude. He fought (and won) in three different weight divisions over a two year span and held titles in two of them. He literally pummeled and finished the best of the best on his way to the top.

By the time he fought Khabib he was 30, and yeah, he hadn't been in octagon for two years. Khabib destroyed him the way he had destroyed so many other great fighters on his way to the top. Such is the cycle of fighting. Doesn't mean he was a fraud.
Old 12-18-2023, 02:40 PM   #2265
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Every fighter ends up being "washed up"

In his prime Mcgregor was the real deal dude. He fought (and won) in three different weight divisions over a two year span and held titles in two of them. He literally pummeled and finished the best of the best on his way to the top.

By the time he fought Khabib he was 30, and yeah, he hadn't been in octagon for two years. Khabib destroyed him the way he had destroyed so many other great fighters on his way to the top. Such is the cycle of fighting. Doesn't mean he was a fraud.
He was a fraud in the division (lightweight). He came up in Featherweight aka 145 lbs. He should never have held the Lightweight title if he had to earn his way up like the other lightweights but he got preferential treatment for champ-champ status.
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2023, 02:53 PM   #2266
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

He peaked when he beat Aldo...was overrated after that.

Had a good run where he beat Holloway, Brandao, Poirier, Siver, Mendes and culminated with the win against Aldo.

Then he was choked out by Diaz, squeaked out a questionable majority decision in the re-match, then got an undeserved title match against Alvarez at lightweight that he won. Lost to Khabib, then beat an old Cerrone before losing both against Poirier.

Really he had a good 2 1/2 year run where he won those 6 fights to climb up to Featherweight champion...and then really did nothing of significance after that outside of being gifted the lightweight title shot.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-18-2023 at 02:59 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2023, 03:19 PM   #2267
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
He peaked when he beat Aldo...was overrated after that.

Had a good run where he beat Holloway, Brandao, Poirier, Siver, Mendes and culminated with the win against Aldo.

Then he was choked out by Diaz, squeaked out a questionable majority decision in the re-match, then got an undeserved title match against Alvarez at lightweight that he won. Lost to Khabib, then beat an old Cerrone before losing both against Poirier.

Really he had a good 2 1/2 year run where he won those 6 fights to climb up to Featherweight champion...and then really did nothing of significance after that outside of being gifted the lightweight title shot.
You realize Nate Diaz walks around at nearly 200 lbs and outweighs Conor by probably 25 lbs right? Most guys Mcgregor's size wouldn't even attempt fights like that. Severe disadvantage for him when he was at the height of his success. That's why he got a title fight at Lightweight, because he literally would not say no to Dana White and the UFC, no matter who or what they put in front him.
Old 12-19-2023, 11:49 AM   #2268
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You realize Nate Diaz walks around at nearly 200 lbs and outweighs Conor by probably 25 lbs right? Most guys Mcgregor's size wouldn't even attempt fights like that. Severe disadvantage for him when he was at the height of his success. That's why he got a title fight at Lightweight, because he literally would not say no to Dana White and the UFC, no matter who or what they put in front him.
Oh yeah, McGregor took on such a monster with Nate Diaz... a man who by the time he fought McGregor only had 9 losses to his name. Such a big challenge for McGregor to overcome!

And you act as if McGregor wasn't a weight bully his entire time in the 145 division. The guy walked around at 175 when he was fighting in Featherweight. Look at the height and reach discrepancy of most of his opponents until he was finally around the same size of the Lightweights when he moved up.
Old 12-19-2023, 12:06 PM   #2269
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh yeah, McGregor took on such a monster with Nate Diaz... a man who by the time he fought McGregor only had 9 losses to his name. Such a big challenge for McGregor to overcome!

And you act as if McGregor wasn't a weight bully his entire time in the 145 division. The guy walked around at 175 when he was fighting in Featherweight. Look at the height and reach discrepancy of most of his opponents until he was finally around the same size of the Lightweights when he moved up.
lol

Let the hate flow though you
Old 12-19-2023, 02:26 PM   #2270
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think it really changes anything I said there.

A combination of layoff, poor match making, and his own arrogance led him to be overrated.

And I didn't even mention...he never successfully defended any title that he won in the UFC. He never successfully defended the Featherweight title, and never successfully defended his Lightweight title. To me alone that makes him overrated - much harder to continually defend a title than it is to win it.

So yeah his career peaked with the win against Aldo and he was overrated after that.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 02:38 PM   #2271
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everybody's career "peaks" at some point. And then it's all down hill from there. It's inevitable.

That other poster there called Macgregor a "fraud"

He was most certainly not a fraud. That poster just hates him. No big deal, that's what Macgregor does to people because he's polarizing, and it's on purpose. Pulls up the PPV numbers.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:08 PM   #2272
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fraud is a little much, but he was a flash in the pan. The UFC has had a lot of those guys more often than not as the posterboys for the sport. It's all good until they get knocked out than things change. Look at Israel as the latest. It's probably the new thing until someone comes in and dominates. There are a lot of good fighters, but everyone seems to take a nosedive once they've got KO'd. Not many guys are elite for a long period of time in this period of the sport.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 07:52 PM   #2273
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha

I don't get the hate.

Everyone who posted in here likely watched his fights and will watch the next one if never fights again (UFC 300???).
Old 12-19-2023, 09:29 PM   #2274
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I don't get the hate.

Everyone who posted in here likely watched his fights and will watch the next one if never fights again (UFC 300???).
Yeah, to see him get his ass kicked. Same thing with Covington although I didn't bother this time on Saturday and just watched the Flames game.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2023, 12:16 PM   #2275
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

McGregor to come back at the end of June vs Chandler @ 185lbs.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 01:09 PM   #2276
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Against Chandler shouldn't be a problem. Though after someone snaps their leg I don't think they're ever the same person again. Anyway, I don't think he's worth the headline anymore, aside from the trash talking any hype.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:50 PM   #2277
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Everybody's career "peaks" at some point. And then it's all down hill from there. It's inevitable.

That other poster there called Macgregor a "fraud"

He was most certainly not a fraud. That poster just hates him. No big deal, that's what Macgregor does to people because he's polarizing, and it's on purpose. Pulls up the PPV numbers.
I even corrected it for you above and yet you ignore the fact that I very specifically mentioned he was a fraud at LIGHTWEIGHT. If you want to refute what I said, by all means I'm happy to engage in a debate with you, but to constantly disregard what I said because you think I'm just a hater is ridiculous.

I could just as easily call you a McGregor fanboy but I haven't called you that.
Old 01-04-2024, 04:43 PM   #2278
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I even corrected it for you above and yet you ignore the fact that I very specifically mentioned he was a fraud at LIGHTWEIGHT. If you want to refute what I said, by all means I'm happy to engage in a debate with you, but to constantly disregard what I said because you think I'm just a hater is ridiculous.

I could just as easily call you a McGregor fanboy but I haven't called you that.
Well, he only fought twice in the UFC at lightweight.

The first one he TKO'ed the champ in the 2nd round and won the title, the second he lost to arguably the greatest lightweight fighter in the history of the sport after a two year hiatus from the octagon because he was out making bank boxing Mayweather.

If that makes him a fraud at lightweight in your eyes, so be it haha
Old 01-05-2024, 01:53 PM   #2279
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Well, he only fought twice in the UFC at lightweight.

The first one he TKO'ed the champ in the 2nd round and won the title, the second he lost to arguably the greatest lightweight fighter in the history of the sport after a two year hiatus from the octagon because he was out making bank boxing Mayweather.

If that makes him a fraud at lightweight in your eyes, so be it haha
Yeah, he's a fraud in my eyes. Won the belt at lightweight, yeah, but didn't defend his belt before being stripped because he'd rather box. I guess it's a matter of personal preference but I don't think someone is a real champ until he defends his belt. Maybe I'm too harsh. Either way, doesn't matter because he only cares about money anyways.

You're probably right that I would watch any fight he's in still though, as he's still sadly the best at bringing hype/entertainment to an upcoming fight. The UFC has a dire need for more genuine personalities to sell their product. Nobody is like McGregor there.
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2024, 06:51 PM   #2280
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since it's a Canada event, who does everyone have for Saturday's Du Plessis vs Strickland match? I honestly have no clue, but I would think Du Plessis is the stronger guy and can take down Strickland for a choke tap out. I really have no idea. Could just be a boring fight too.