Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #101
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
meh the draft helps bad teams (and then they shoot themselves in the foot)
The Flames are not a bad team now, they are learning how to win. In the end that's much more valuable than a few draft positions in an 18-year old draft.

Seriously, who would rather have #1 MacKinnon over #6 Monahan right now?
Every single GM, coach, and fan in the NHL who doesn't post on this forum.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #102
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
One thing I have always disliked about the draft system is the way it buries talent in hopeless franchises. It's just a huge waste forcing guys like Tavares and Hall to play for hopeless loser franchises like the current Oilers and Islanders. A guy like Barkov is not going to play a meaningful game of club hockey until maybe 2016, and most likely not even then.

The draft props up loser franchises so that they don't have to actually do anything to build a product that will draw a crowd. The Oilers are the perfect example. Their players are not developing, they haven't signed anyone of note since ever, but because the draft has served them well, they're in no hurry to change anything. The money keeps rolling in and reporters are falling over each other trying to make excuses for them.
^Agreed; The Oilers if really wanted to could trade key players for developed experienced players to fit their system, but instead they stand pat knowing they are still rewarded for losing. Seems they have no problem calling out the fans instead of the players

Seriously, they don't seem to know how to develop, or draft the proper players so the assets are wasted. Someone mentioned earlier that a team shouldn't be able to draft first twice, personally I think teams that finish first in the draft should lose one draft position in the top 3 within 5 years from the time they drafted 1st overall.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #103
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

they're not really being rewarded for losing....
do you want to be them right now? laughing stock of the league?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #104
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
they're not really being rewarded for losing....
do you want to be them right now? laughing stock of the league?
But they're still being rewarded at the end of each season.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #105
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could argue that teams like Oilers are hurting the league since these number one overall picks aren't performing as top teir talent, and getting the attention they could be otherwise if they were on a more competitive team.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #106
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One thing I have always disliked about the draft system is the way it buries talent in hopeless franchises. It's just a huge waste forcing guys like Tavares and Hall to play for hopeless loser franchises like the current Oilers and Islanders. A guy like Barkov is not going to play a meaningful game of club hockey until maybe 2016, and most likely not even then.
Sooooo what would your solution be to improved your team if you are last and don't get the best/better choice at the draft?

Let me guess - Magically sign the non existent FA's and magically draft better with a crappy draft spot!!!

And they really burried the Malkin, Toews, Crosbys,Kanes, and Doughty's of the world.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #107
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Came in expecting not to like it.

Turns out I think it could not only work, but would be great for the league. It would be a very fair system that could have positive impacts on the game. Every five years you get a top five pick, which speaking for a team that's never been in the top 5 (6th at best) would be welcomed. And you don't have to suck to get it, you just get what you get according to the year. I like that.

I like it even more when I think about perennial suck teams that snatch up all the good talent year after year but never get themselves out of the basement to give others (like us now) a shot. Or blatant tankers like Colorado last season, who already had one of the deepest and most talented center pools of anyone in the league, BEFORE getting MacKinnon, which was a joke. Need to eliminate that kind of bs.

Then again you have to think about if you're a team just past the "1" position on the wheel, knowing you'd have to wait 25+ years to get your shot at the 1st overall pick, you'd be a bit bitter, for sure. Maybe you could do an individual lottery for the order of the red (top) picks every year to give each team on those positions equal chance at the 1st overall, and while keeping everything else exactly as is. So every 5 years each team would be in the "lottery mix".

I think that would work great.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #108
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

No matter what draft system you use, some team is always gonna finish last in the league. A particularly bad one, like the Oilers, is gonna finish last multiple times.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #109
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I cheer for a team that's never even had a top 5 pick and I still hate the idea of drafting first once (possibly a Patrick Stephan year) and KNOWING its an othe 30 years before it happens again. I know there a lot of excitement around mcdavid and part of that is the uncertainty of his path, even though its probably a million to one (insert Jim Carey picture here) chance. Imagine hearing about the next Crosby when he is 15 an watching him develope and possibly become great knowing exactly where he's going if he does. Seems dull to me. I like the no 1st overall back to back and no top 5 for 3 straight years idea though.
jessnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #110
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I like how it is now, I like laughing at the Oilers.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #111
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would like to see 2 lotteries. The first involves the worst 5 teams of the league where a "pre" lottery determines how many ping pong balls each get for the 2nd lottery. The 2nd is the regular draft lottery.

The worst 5 are to be treated equally in the pre lottery(i.e. same odds of winning the most ping pong balls, 2nd most etc...) and then you keep the regular odds for the 2nd lottery. Doing this will discourage tanking because no longer is there a clear incentive to finish last as there is no guarantee of having the best odds for the lottery and also doesn't penalize the team, at least that heavily, if they truly suck.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #112
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnuts View Post
(insert Jim Carey picture here)
Old 12-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #113
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
I like how it is now, I like laughing at the Oilers.
Their epic fail-ness is much deeper than the draft system...you needn't worry about losing your mullet-based comedy

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft lottery , drafting , nba , nhl draft