Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #461
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drabek claimed off waivers by White Sox. Has the guy fallen this much off the Jays map?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #462
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not the same guy he was arm wise a few years ago. Other guys in the system passed him. Not a bad idea to claim him by the White Sox as maybe he figures it all out magically, but that would be random bad luck more than a likely scenario.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #463
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sending Delabar to Triple A was a bit of a surprise. He seemed pretty upset about it and I'm not sure if we'll see in a Blue Jays jersey again.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #464
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Jon Morosi@jonmorosi · Mar 26
Great news from Montreal: 80,000+ tickets now sold for two-day @BlueJays - @Reds series next weekend. @DenisCoderre @ExposNation @FAN590
Old 03-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #465
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays add Andy Wilkins off Waivers from Chicago. He's not a bad depth player. Hasn't really been handled well by Chicago. Might be some untapped potential there. Or he might blow. Meh either way.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2015, 11:24 PM   #466
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

so they get Drabek and we get Wilkins LOL...should have just made a trade LOL

In an ironic twist, the White Sox had to place Wilkins on waivers in order to designate him for assignment so they could clear a spot on their 40-man roster. Chicago needed that spot after it claimed right-hander Kyle Drabek on waivers from the Blue Jays earlier this week.

The 26-year-old Wilkins is coming off a very impressive 2014 season in the minor leagues with Triple-A Charlotte where he hit .293/.338/.558 with 30 home runs, 85 RBI and 79 runs scored in 127 games. For a power hitter, Wilkins also did a solid job of keeping his strikeouts under control. He struck out 91 times in 491 at-bats while walking 34 times.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...cago-white-sox

Last edited by Cheese; 03-29-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #467
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The Phillies have to feel absolutely stupid for the fact that Drabek was the guy who prevented them from going out and acquiring Halladay in the first place. Had they been willing they could have had an extra half year of Halladay while he was at his prime for one extra shot at the playoffs.

Instead they hesitate because of a hyped prospect who eventually didn't pan out. They ended up trading that guy for Halladay anyways, and had 0 World Series appearances to show for it.

The Jays...they essentially have RA Dickey to show for Halladay and other good prospects, which I suppose is at least still something.

Just shows how risky these prospect deals can be.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #468
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Sanchez, Norris, Osuna, Castro, Pompey & Travis all made the team?

Incredible.
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:03 PM   #469
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Gregg Zaun was going on some inane rant today about how he "was concerned with" Castro and Osuna making the bullpen instead of other veteran players (like ... Francis? Delabar?). He kept stating that he "didn't have a problem" with it, but eventually came back to good ol' Stupid Zaun territory where he said, "Listen, I'm sorry, but players need to pay dues. That's just how it is." He was advocating for them to go down to the farm to "dominate for a month or so" before coming up to the pros.

I don't know about you guys (and girls), but I'm not concerned about some dinosaur's thoughts regarding young players paying dues and respecting their elders/getting off their lawns as much as I am concerned with the Jays having the best chance to succeed. It is clear to me that having Castro and Osuna on the team is the best path. Zaun is terrible.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Antithesis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #470
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totally agree, Jays should be fielding their best line up.

Spring training results indicated "Castro" and "Osuna" and "Norris" and should be on the roster.

I also really liked that the Jays demoted RA Dickey personal catcher.... Its hard to have a player on the roster who absolutely can't hit...
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #471
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zaun is the Don Cherry of Blue Jays coverage. Loud opinions, loud suits, and nothing worthwhile about either.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #472
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both are knowledgeable, but Zaun comes across as abrasive. I've never liked the guy. His twitter handle at one point said he was something like "international playboy". Really???
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:41 AM   #473
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Zaun Cherry is way off base there. I don't mind his between inning analysis and he can be refreshingly honest sometimes but his salty-old-vet routine is tired.

His bizarre ramblings about paying his dues as a young player on the Orioles, basically admitting to Ripken etc. hazing him, and now not wanting rookies in the bull pen because Francis and Delabar are vets is ridiculous. Shulman said on TSN that he would rather have two young, potentially above average arms in the 'pen over two 30 year old average arms, and I agree with him.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #474
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Jays signed Felix Doubront today to a minor league deal:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...r-league-deal/
Old 04-02-2015, 11:02 AM   #475
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Getting close to opening day now.

Hutchison confirmed as opening day starter, Dickey in the 2 spot then Norris, Beuhrle, and Sanchez. That line up would look a whole lot better with Stroman but I must accept reality .

Devon Travis is the starting 2B, Dalton Pompey starts in CF. Russell Martin is the catcher with Dioner Navarro as a DH and backup catcher. I want to say that I am more than happy to keep Dioner around for the season, as having a 5+ WAR player in Martin and a 2+ WAR player in Navarro makes me a lot more comfortable than trading Navarro and having Thole, who is a negative WAR, as the back up catcher.

If Martin, EE, Bautista, and Donaldson can stay healthy then there is no reason this team cannot compete for the AL East, just need league average pitching in my opinion.

Infield defense is going to be interesting this year. Donaldson is a good defender, but Reyes is marginal at short stop and Travis is an unknown quantity IMO. I personally think the Jays are going to be a bit of a nightmare this year defensively and that might end up being their achilles heal.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #476
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Devon Travis is the starting 2B, Dalton Pompey starts in CF. Russell Martin is the catcher with Dioner Navarro as a DH and backup catcher. I want to say that I am more than happy to keep Dioner around for the season, as having a 5+ WAR player in Martin and a 2+ WAR player in Navarro makes me a lot more comfortable than trading Navarro and having Thole, who is a negative WAR, as the back up catcher.
Navarro won't be 2WAR as a back-up. He'll absolutely be an upgrade on Thole as back-up thou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Infield defense is going to be interesting this year. Donaldson is a good defender, but Reyes is marginal at short stop and Travis is an unknown quantity IMO. I personally think the Jays are going to be a bit of a nightmare this year defensively and that might end up being their achilles heal.
I think the Jays are going to be massively better defensively...

Saunders/Pillar: Huge upgrade over Melky
Martin: Huge upgrade on Navarro
Pompey: Upgrade on Colby
Smoak/Valencia: Upgrade on Lind/EE (Defensively)
Donaldson: Upgrade on Lawrie (Lawrie was good but Donaldson is better plus we won't have to watch Juan Fransisco try to be a 3B)

Every other position should basically be the same as last year. Hopefully the new turf helps out Reyes (apparently it plays slower then the old turf). The huge wildcard for the Jays is pitching... so many rookies. I have huge concerns about Sanchez in particuler, I hope he can at least be what Henderson Alverez was in 2012. If he can do that then I think the Jays will be ok but that means he'll need to really cut down on his milb walk rate. If not let's pray that Johan Santana's arm doesn't fall off.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #477
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Navarro won't be 2WAR as a back-up. He'll absolutely be an upgrade on Thole as back-up thou.

I think the Jays are going to be massively better defensively...

Saunders/Pillar: Huge upgrade over Melky
Martin: Huge upgrade on Navarro
Pompey: Upgrade on Colby
Smoak/Valencia: Upgrade on Lind/EE (Defensively)
Donaldson: Upgrade on Lawrie (Lawrie was good but Donaldson is better plus we won't have to watch Juan Fransisco try to be a 3B)

Every other position should basically be the same as last year. Hopefully the new turf helps out Reyes (apparently it plays slower then the old turf). The huge wildcard for the Jays is pitching... so many rookies. I have huge concerns about Sanchez in particuler, I hope he can at least be what Henderson Alverez was in 2012. If he can do that then I think the Jays will be ok but that means he'll need to really cut down on his milb walk rate. If not let's pray that Johan Santana's arm doesn't fall off.
I should have clarified that I meant infield D will be their achilles heal, just my opinion.

I totally agree with you that outfield D has improved I just think that even with supposed slower turf at the Dome the Jays two most important defensive positions on the infield, up the middle, have some big question marks.

I agree that Sanchez worries me as well. I don't think he has looked all that impressive in spring training and it's likely somewhat behind the recent pick up of Felix Doubront.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #478
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Media types following the Jays did keep saying that they were impressed by Travis' defense. With respect to the starting pitching, I'm more concerned about what happens if one of the young guys struggles ... Doubront next? And after him? What then?
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antithesis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #479
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
With respect to the starting pitching, I'm more concerned about what happens if one of the young guys struggles ... Doubront next? And after him? What then?
Probably Santana unless/until his arm falls apart. After that Doubront & Hendricks (then maybe Romero... but if it get's that far down the depth chart the season's already lost).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:25 PM   #480
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hendriks is atrocious. God I hope I never have to see that guy start.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jays , oilersuck , onemoretime , whydoicheerforthisteam