Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #41
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping this -- KFC has apparently brought back their "extra tasty crispy" version that they discontinued way back when. I preferred this over their original recipe -- Brought back some good memories. thought I'd pass the word along...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #42
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Cluck and Cleaver just opened up on 14th ST and about 15th ave SW. Across from Shawarma Knights, my favourite Shawarma place. Anyways Cluck and Cleaver was quite tasty, we tried a 10 piece, their biscuits, coleslaw and beans/corns. The chicken was excellent as were the biscuits. Coleslaw was very good. Beans/corn was okay.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #43
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Have you guys had Waffles and Chix? I think it's a food truck, which I've never had, but they also have a booth at Crossroads Flea Market. I love it so much.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #44
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Have you guys had Waffles and Chix? I think it's a food truck, which I've never had, but they also have a booth at Crossroads Flea Market. I love it so much.
I thought the food truck was way over priced for the portion and was sub par at best. For the basic chicken and waffle.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2016, 03:53 PM   #45
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Screw chicken, where can I get a Turkey leg?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #46
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Bumping this -- KFC has apparently brought back their "extra tasty crispy" version that they discontinued way back when. I preferred this over their original recipe -- Brought back some good memories. thought I'd pass the word along...
I don't know if it's different than it used to be, but I tried this last week I think it was and felt like the tasty part was missing. Extra-crumbly-no-tasty.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #47
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Well I know who's going to win the weekly KFC vs Taco Time, Cheap Tuesday Challenge at the Sainters household tomorrow..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #48
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't had good southern style fried chicken made with real buttermilk batter in this city (or anywhere in Canada).

As for the chain stuff, I'd have to go with Chicken on the Way. The one I don't understand the love for is Church's. People from out East rave about it, but it doesn't do anything for me.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #49
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I tried Cluck'n'Clever last week. It was SO SALTY, almost inedibly so. However, I took the leftovers home to give to my dogs, and when I tried it cold later in the evening it didn't seem nearly as bad..
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #50
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I don't know if it's different than it used to be, but I tried this last week I think it was and felt like the tasty part was missing. Extra-crumbly-no-tasty.
You may be on to something... according to my research, it's simply called "Extra Crispy", not "Extra Tasty Crispy".

I sure do like the extra batter bits at the bottom of the bucket though...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #51
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is that restaurant in Kensington where you can just order fried chicken skin as an appetizer?

I would be really satisfied with a bucket of fried chicken skin.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #52
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

There's something in the Cluck 'n' Clever batter that tastes strong enough to notice, but not strong enough for me to identify. I thought it was fine, but give me Chicken on the Way or give me death.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #53
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has Chicken on the Way improved in recent years? Last time I went about a year or two ago it seemed to have spent too much time in the deep fryer.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #54
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
There's something in the Cluck 'n' Clever batter that tastes strong enough to notice, but not strong enough for me to identify. I thought it was fine, but give me Chicken on the Way or give me death.
I believe one of their secret herbs and spices is cumin, which gives the chicken a mild Indian taste. at first I was surprised and not sure if I liked it, but it was fine by my 2nd (and 3rd and 4th) piece.

my issue with the place was the lack of convenient parking and the wait time...1 hour late on a Saturday evening, if you can believe it. they clearly are still working on their chicken throughput optimization so I wasn't as annoyed about it as I normally would be, but unless I'm right in that area already, there will always be a much closer and more convenient Olive Chicken that will be first choice.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #55
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I mentioned it in the local restaurants thread, but I picked up some Cluck n' Cleaver last week and totally loved it. It was absolutely amazing. I must have hit a bit of a lull as the wait wasn't long at all, less than 10 mins. It's costly, but I think that'll be my go-to for fried chicken now.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #56
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What is that restaurant in Kensington where you can just order fried chicken skin as an appetizer?

I would be really satisfied with a bucket of fried chicken skin.
I believe its the brasserie. I haven't been there in a while though.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #57
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I thought the food truck was way over priced for the portion and was sub par at best. For the basic chicken and waffle.
I wonder if there is a difference between what you get from the truck and what you get at the actual restaurant. The first time I had it was just by accident as I was at the Flea Market for something else so I tried it out and loved it. The second time I made a special trip just for it. I think it was only $7 or so for a full on waffle, a bunch of chicken, gravy and syrup. I could be wrong on the price, but whatever I paid I didn't think it was a bad deal.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #58
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just discovered Chicken on the Way last year after moving back. Good stuff, and I LOVE the fritters. The chicken's great hot, but for some reason it's not nearly as good cold, like KFC.

One of my favourite parts of getting fried chicken is having it cold the next day, kind of a bummer Chicken on the Way isn't good that way like other chicken places are. I've kinda just learned to only order as much as I think I'll eat for dinner when I go there, nothing more. But the dump truck full of fritters still very much applies.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:51 PM   #59
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post

One of my favourite parts of getting fried chicken is having it cold the next day.
Somebody should make a poll.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:50 AM   #60
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ this.....

of the above mentioned suspects, I think I like mary brown's the best. it has that olde tyme greasiness to it.

I know this thread is about chicken; however, I feel that I have to slag on the fires at Chicken on the way. Never before have I eaten fries that looked so good, but yet were so terrible and bland - most disappointing.

I'd like to give that place in Ogden another go.