Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #41
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
You give yourself away with comments like this...

...and embarrass yourself with comments like these.
Man, you're quickly becoming one of my favourite posters.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #42
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too add to the injury excuse.

Pre-injury 0.47 PPG pace - if pace continued and played 82 games that's 38 points, right in line with pretty much every other year he's played in the league
Post-injury 0.21 PPG pace - over a year that's 17 points

Now if you have a problem with giving a 38 point player that contract, that's a worthwhile discussion to have. But to now just assume he'll play out his contract get less than 20 points a year is just hilarious to me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #43
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I recall people really chewing into Monahan. Sure, there will always be mindless homers who will sit on any Flames lap, but Monahan has his share of critics. Especially when he just got a new contract and the season was nearly over before it started.
I was one of them who was critical of him, but the critique was more of a "what's wrong with him" sorta thing, not a "he's terrible at hockey all of a sudden" type of critique that you're doing here.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #44
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think that this thread is no good. What should we do about it

1) Make fun of it.

2) Find a way to cover up the original concept of the thread with hilarious and unrelated memes, videos and pictures.

3) Find a way to use this in the Edmonton no good thread

4) Roll our eyes collectively and mutter under our breath

5) Put the original poster on your ignore list so this thread basically vanishes like a ancient quantum singularity

6) Live in a make believe world that this thread topic is actually good and relevant.

I vote for number two.

7) so how about that jankowski kid

Last edited by trublmaker; 07-18-2017 at 08:28 AM.
trublmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trublmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #45
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brouwer only has upside at this point. Very simple, but great.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #46
Blankcanvas
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I like Brouwer and optimistic he will have a better season this year. Sure his on ice performance last year was far below what we all expected or hoped for. His injury may explain some of it but don't forget he was brought in not just for his on ice performance but also the intangibles of veteran experience, leadership in the room etc.

I know many feel he shouldn't have been awarded the 'A' but obviously there were those that believed in him. My 10 year old kid loves him because he always takes time to interact with the kids during the pre-game warm-ups and throws a couple of pucks over the glass. At the equipment sale he showed up on time and made my kids day by the things he said to him while signing multiple items (Ferland was over an hour late).

I want him to succeed as a Flame and I have confidence he will prove some you wrong this year.
Blankcanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #47
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread is why we can't have good things. He was a pretty big part of getting the team to buy in to the new system. I personally don't understand the crapping on players on your own team.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #48
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wasn't even the point production that got me it was the lack for sticking up for anyone but numero uno and not showing any of the intangeables he was supposed to bring. The signing was a mistake but Tre will learn from it and if this is the worst contract on the team for the next 3 years we can live with it.

I hope he proves me wrong.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #49
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's see how the season begins. I'll give the guy 20 games before calling him another one of Treliving stinkers. Still can't believe Tre gave him a NMC/NTC.

Last edited by CSharp; 07-17-2017 at 09:03 PM.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #50
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
It's no secret Brouwer is no good at hockey.
I think that this is the part of the thread that is the worst. He plays in the NHL and is clearly VERY good at hockey.

It may be that he is not living up to the money he is being paid, it may be that he is a disappointment for many. He might be taking up a spot for a younger player, he might be tying up cap dollars that could bring in another high end player.

But I bristle at the suggestion he is not good at hockey.

Honestly I am tired of the piling on the whipping boy du jour. Not to mention the fact that I think that this subject has been beaten to death.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:32 PM   #51
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
This thread is why we can't have good things. He was a pretty big part of getting the team to buy in to the new system. I personally don't understand the crapping on players on your own team.
Because CP will always require a whipping boy. It's law.
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Oilers won't finish 14th in the West forever.

Eventually a couple of expansion teams will be added which will nestle the Oilers into 16th.
Point Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:34 PM   #52
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm temped to try:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Frolik-Backlund-Brouwer
Tkachuk-Bennett-Versteeg
Stajan-Jankowski-Lazar

If it doesn't work switch things back to the lines that have worked in the past but if it does work out that is a pretty good top 9 with Jankowski and Lazar pushing for icetime from below. This also gives Tkachuk and Bennett an opportunity to develop some chemistry.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #53
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
Because CP will always require a whipping boy. It's law.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:18 AM   #54
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ignoring the OP's list that seemed pretty well designed just to get a rise, I will give my thoughts on Brouwer.

I agree with a lot of the posters above that Brouwer deserves a shot at redemption. I think that given his injury, and also his diminishing TOI and reduced roles which might have been a snowball effect from his injury, there is a reasonable (and I mean very reasonable) chance that he bounces back.

I do think that Ferland at this point might be better on the PP. I do think that Brouwer was under-appreciated as a net-front presence on the PP, but Ferland can provide that AND can get to the pucks quicker in the corner when passes are off. Heck, I thought Colborne was becoming a really solid net-front presence with an even bigger frame on the PPs in his last few months as a Flame. I don't like Brouwer's speed, but I do think that his lack of foot-speed sometimes can be misinterpreted as a lack of compete.

I don't think Brouwer should be or will be stapled to the 4th line to start the season. I do think that Gulutzan will give him every opportunity during training camp and preseason to solidify a spot in the top 9 at least. It will be up to Brouwer at that point.

What I do like is that this isn't some massively overpaid contract with a tonne of term attached. 3 more years at 4.5 million. 3.4 million more or less if buried in the minors (if it ever comes to that). It isn't a great contract and that is painfully obvious, and I do think that even if Brouwer performs to expectations that he will still be slightly overpaid (though, what can you do? UFA contracts are always of the overpaid variety). However, when he was signed the people that were down on the signing felt it was only 1 year too long and 1 million too much. That's not bad considering it was a UFA contract. It isn't a hideous problem. It is a rather small problem in the grand scheme of things, and even then it is assuming Brouwer regresses. It is at most a 2 million dollar 'dead space' on the cap. He easily provided 2 or perhaps even 3 million dollars worth of production last year (maybe even more) so it isn't 4.5 million of dead cap space.

The one thing I do NOT worry about is what other UFAs might think down the road. UFA signings often don't work out. Flames will do their part and that is to provide Brouwer with an opportunity to bounce back, rather than just staple him to the 4th line and eliminate his PP time. That's all that can and should be expected out of a UFA signing after a full season. Brouwer had a lot of opportunity until Gulutzan pushed him down the lineup. Besides, as long as the Flames are looked upon as either an 'up and coming' team (or even better, a contender) then players will sign here, especially if the Flames are paying market value.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:06 AM   #55
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

One season does not make a trend. Let's see how he does this year.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:10 AM   #56
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Dumb thread is dumb
To be fair it's July, we only have 1 & 1/2 pro sports to watch, golf sucks without Tiger and tennis is..well tennis
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:52 AM   #57
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

That's pre-injury Brouwer. Fully expect to see more of this next season. This thread is silly.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #58
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO the hand injury also hindered his tough guy role. It's hard to get into scrums and possibly fights when your hand is healing.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #59
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I also believe Brouwer will have a rebound year.

If his down season last year isn't enough to light a fire under his arse, the fact that the Flames did not protect him in the expansion draft certainly should.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #60
badger89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
To be fair it's July, we only have 1 & 1/2 pro sports to watch, golf sucks without Tiger and tennis is..well tennis
CFL?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
badger89 is offline   Reply With Quote