Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2017, 06:55 PM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
It's no secret Brouwer is no good at hockey. So what should the Flames do with?

1) Pending another lousy season, buy him out?

2) Ride out the contract and scratch him/bury him

3) Spend assets such as picks + prospects to trade him

4) Find evidence of criminal activity and "Lombardi-Richards" his contract

5) Wait for LTIR or early retirement

6) Live in a make-believe world that he's actual good and should play
I think that this thread is no good. What should we do about it

1) Make fun of it.

2) Find a way to cover up the original concept of the thread with hilarious and unrelated memes, videos and pictures.

3) Find a way to use this in the Edmonton no good thread

4) Roll our eyes collectively and mutter under our breath

5) Put the original poster on your ignore list so this thread basically vanishes like a ancient quantum singularity

6) Live in a make believe world that this thread topic is actually good and relevant.

I vote for number two.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #22
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm willing to give him a second chance. Short leash, mind you, but we're stuck with him so we might as well see if he can get going.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #23
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think that this thread is no good. What should we do about it

1) Make fun of it.

2) Find a way to cover up the original concept of the thread with hilarious and unrelated memes, videos and pictures.

3) Find a way to use this in the Edmonton no good thread

4) Roll our eyes collectively and mutter under our breath

5) Put the original poster on your ignore list so this thread basically vanishes like a ancient quantum singularity

6) Live in a make believe world that this thread topic is actually good and relevant.

I vote for number two.
Number 5 for me.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #24
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
7) Consider that maybe, just maybe, he actually can play when he isn't saddled with a broken hand.

In the early going last season, when the rest of the team was a tire fire, Brouwer was one of the few reasonably effective forwards. After his injury, the wheels fell off. Let's see if we get pre-injury Brouwer or post-injury Brouwer before burning anyone in effigy, shall we?
It's funny how post-injury Brouwer came back and was very effective in front of the net, especially on PPs, yet got almost zero credit because he didn't pick up points. I think to some degree, Brouwer is a player most people have made their minds up about and refuse to see anything but the negative.

Link

Link

Link

None of these goals happen without Brouwer screening the goalies perfectly.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #25
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Brouwer is quickly becoming so reviled that he's underrated. It's quite fascinating, actually.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #26
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mentioned it in another thread a few days ago, but even after coming back from injury when the calendar turned to 2017 he was still making some nice plays away from the puck. Just wasn't putting up the points. Thanks for posting the proof of that AC
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #27
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

7) Notify the team doctors and the NHL that he has an "equipment allergy". Automatic LTIR.
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Young_Guns For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #28
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It's no secret Brouwer is no good at hockey. So what should the Flames do with?

1) Pending another lousy season, buy him out?

2) Ride out the contract and scratch him/bury him

3) Spend assets such as picks + prospects to trade him

4) Find evidence of criminal activity and "Lombardi-Richards" his contract

5) Wait for LTIR or early retirement

6) Live in a make-believe world that he's actual good and should play

Brouwer is good at hockey, he mistakenly signed a contract for more money then his stats dictate....... what was he thinking ��
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #29
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, how come people accept the broken hand as a excuse for Gaudreau putting up less points than usual, yet for Brouwer they don't 'buy it'

That's a hell of an injury to play a game like hockey with. When a player starts playing again doesn't mean they're healed
Old 07-17-2017, 07:09 PM   #30
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
7) Consider that maybe, just maybe, he actually can play when he isn't saddled with a broken hand.

In the early going last season, when the rest of the team was a tire fire, Brouwer was one of the few reasonably effective forwards. After his injury, the wheels fell off. Let's see if we get pre-injury Brouwer or post-injury Brouwer before burning anyone in effigy, shall we?
So lots of players get injured. In fact I'm not aware of a player who hasn't been injured. How long is the "post injury" excuse going to last? Like 5 games after an injury? 10 games after being medically cleared? Longer?
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #31
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I think Troy will be the first to admit that last season was a let down season and by no means am I expecting a complete 180 switch from last year but I do think he will perform better for us here. What many fans fail to consider when wanting to jettison an unwanted player is that optically as a team and a franchise you have to do it the right way otherwise your sending a message to potential UFA players down the road that maybe Calgary isn't the best option when you at how they turfed Brouwer before the half way point of his contract - hypothetically of course.

I think we are dug into this player for at least the next year if not more so might as well try and use him in a way that will allow him to be his best.

He needs to get back to that checking winger that can chip in now and then and only time will tell if he can but we really have no choice in my opinion but to give him that time for a little while yet here.
Well maybe he can play well enough to be tradeable at 50% retained. But how's he going to do that on the 4th line playing with Stajan and whoever is having a bad camp? He's not going to get back to 40+ points playing 10 mins or less.

Honestly, I can't see a scenario where Brouwer deserves more ice time than the remaining guys on the right, namely Versteeg, Frolik, Ferland, and Lazar.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #32
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't get fooled again Mr. Brouwer!

Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #33
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So lots of players get injured. In fact I'm not aware of a player who hasn't been injured. How long is the "post injury" excuse going to last? Like 5 games after an injury? 10 games after being medically cleared? Longer?
I dunno, we all gave Monahan the benefit of the doubt for the first half of last year after he struggled with a back injury through all of training camp. He sure didn't look right during that time but he ended up getting hot later and we all forgot about his poor start.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #34
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
It's funny how post-injury Brouwer came back and was very effective in front of the net, especially on PPs, yet got almost zero credit because he didn't pick up points. I think to some degree, Brouwer is a player most people have made their minds up about and refuse to see anything but the negative.

Link

Link

Link

None of these goals happen without Brouwer screening the goalies perfectly.
Ok, so he's good at screening a goalie. Those defenseman aren't even making it hard for him. It's hard to give props to the guy who skates in one spot and just stands there.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #35
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Adding onto Cali's point -- what if Brouwer's halves were reversed, and he struggled in the first half and played well in the second half? I'm sure we'd all forgive him for just trying to get acclimated to a new team. I think we should give him a fully healthy year until we really judge him... look at how Frolik improved in his second year.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:21 PM   #36
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Hopefully he spends this whole offseason trimming down and doing power skating, though he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy with that kind of off-season work ethic and determination. Basically our new Wideman contract, we'll suck it up, hope he can still play on power play and our 4C / 4LW can carry him otherwise, and then buy out year 4 to pay Tkachuk/Ferland.

How in the hell would you have ANY idea what his work ethic and determination levels are?

Ridiculous statement.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #37
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Depends on the injury, but one on an area that's used heavily in the game, like a hand, I'll give a guy an off-season to work out all the kinks before I turn on him. Just because they're in great physical shape doesn't mean hockey players somehow heal faster than the rest of us. Especially playing such a physical game.

So to answer your question, the injury excuse won't get trotted out if he's playing just as poorly next year, but this year it was a legitimate one
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #38
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was wondering when we were going to finally get a Troy Brouwer thread!
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #39
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I dunno, we all gave Monahan the benefit of the doubt for the first half of last year after he struggled with a back injury through all of training camp. He sure didn't look right during that time but he ended up getting hot later and we all forgot about his poor start.
I recall people really chewing into Monahan. Sure, there will always be mindless homers who will sit on any Flames lap, but Monahan has his share of critics. Especially when he just got a new contract and the season was nearly over before it started.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #40
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, so he's good at screening a goalie. Those defenseman aren't even making it hard for him. It's hard to give props to the guy who skates in one spot and just stands there.
You give yourself away with comments like this...

Quote:
I recall people really chewing into Monahan. Sure, there will always be mindless homers who will sit on any Flames lap, but Monahan has his share of critics. Especially when he just got a new contract and the season was nearly over before it started.
...and embarrass yourself with comments like these.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post: