Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #101
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Simply put: The Flames can't afford to allow a significant asset like Backlund walk away for nothing. We watched for decades as this has happened, and as a result this team suffered greatly. If Treliving believes they are a contender, they are not going to allow that opportunity to slide, but he is also not going to do something that could harm the future of the team. He has already pushed in enough pieces, losing one of Backlund's stature for nothing doesn't make sense. If the Flames do not have a contract extension in place, Backlund is going to be traded. Treliving isn't going to allow an asset to walk for nothing. He may be forced to trade away Backlund for a large return, then I see him bringing in an older veteran to fill that same role, for a much lesser cost.

Except it isn't. It's how good teams remain competitive for decades rather than a few years and hit the rebuild cycle. Good teams will recognize when they have to move assets to recoup others to keep the system stocked. I believe we have a GM that has that mindset and not one who will go for it, and then get fired if he fails. I think he has an eye on the prize, but is setting the team up to take multiple runs at the cup, not just one and rebuild.

Except that Treliving has shown an incredible ability to use all resources available to him to grab the players he wants and needs. Treliving is a very good GM, and he won't allow an asset of Backlund's stature walk away with no return. Not after selling out the draft for the next two years. He will make sure he doesn't allow a good asset get away. At least that's what he has done to date. If he is forced to move Backlund, I think he will have already beat the weeds and found a player to fill the need in the short term, while gaining assets. Treliving respects his players, but he won't allow himself to get attached to them to the point where he can't/won't deal them, and hurt the team as a result.
I would have to agree. Backlund isn't the type of asset you get nothing in exchange for.

Either he signs or he is gonzo. I believe he will sign.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #102
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I would have to agree. Backlund isn't the type of asset you get nothing in exchange for.

Either he signs or he is gonzo. I believe he will sign.
I think we're in agreement on all points. Backlund is a helluva player and would be best served being in Calgary playing for the Flames. So what's the number?

I think that $22.5-25M is the range. $5.5Mx4 or $5Mx5. I think that can cover the bridge deals for Bennett, Tkachuk and Jankowski. Anything more than that, can the Flames afford him?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #103
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flam...ey/c-286642406
Old 07-18-2017, 11:01 PM   #104
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Reading that article again, I like how after the 2013/14 season, when Backs was a fourth line C at times, it was Burkie who told him at the end of the season "there is no way we are trading you" and it seemed to give Backs that true shot of confidence and he has been a consistent performer and real leader ever since.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:24 PM   #105
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Treliving on 960 says that Backlund's agent is busy with arbitration cases right now and they plan to have meetings in the next few days/weeks and will see where it goes from there
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #106
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Will Nault‏ @Fan960Nault

On Backlund's extension, Treliving joked: "everything is agreed to except the term and dollar." #Flames
Nice.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:26 PM   #107
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/DarrenWHaynes/st...92430265192448

@DarrenWHaynes: On why this time, it should be get-it-done time for #Flames GM Brad Treliving when it comes to a Backlund extension. http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2017/...o-have-my.html [IMG] pbs.twimg.com/media/DGQw5vSUAAEF_rZ.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Anduril; 08-02-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 11:01 PM   #108
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
https://twitter.com/DarrenWHaynes/st...92430265192448

@DarrenWHaynes: On why this time, it should be get-it-done time for #Flames GM Brad Treliving when it comes to a Backlund extension. http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2017/...o-have-my.html [IMG] pbs.twimg.com/media/DGQw5vSUAAEF_rZ.jpg[/IMG]
I like his concluding line "lock him up and throw away the key"!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote