X5 - Jankowski - Hathaway

Brodie - Hamilton
X2 - Stone
Kulak - Engelland

X3
Gillies

X= Treliving magic
1. #1 priority is a sniper on the RW
2. Trade Giordano if you have to at this point. He has a lot of value to other teams even with his contract. You're not going to get the pieces you need on the free agent market to build this into a contender. Brodie/Stone/Hamilton can be top 3. Sign a lower cost FA to take the #4 and the time is now to cycle the bottom 2 with Kylington, Andersson, Kulak, Morrison, etc and see who sticks.
3. Round three of "Spin the Goalie" wheel. Pick your poison, a vet like Bishop/Fleury, or go for someone like Raanta/Saros/Pickard. Just don't get locked into a long deal we can't get out of.
4. Versteeg on another 1 year deal? We'll have to see what happens with Vegas. Do they take Brouwer? If not, we'll be stuck with him here.
5. We have too many centers now, and if we can't move Stajan you're looking at two of Bennett, Lazar and Jankowski going to the wing.

- Bouma to Stockton
- Rotate in Shinkaruk, Mangiapane, Klimchuk, and Poirier early on the bottom two lines
- Total revamp of the power play strategies
- Get into the playoffs again, still get outplayed and do this all again next year
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #42
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Taylor Hall is the biggest loser in the NHL, I don't care if he comes with Schneider. Dumb player, takes the last quarter of the year off every season, doesn't play a 200 foot game, and has never had a sniff of the post season at the NHL level. That is before I mention trading away one of the most skilled players in the NHL to get him. Crazy.
I don't really want Hall, but I want Schneider. I agree he's a loser but he's the best forward NJ has.

And if we're moving Gaudreau to get Schneider I want a top line piece coming back.

Plus we also have to give to get someone to take Brouwer.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #43
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - x
Tkachuk - Jankowski(A)- Bennett
xx - Backlund - Forlik
Lot's of options for the 4th line(F. Hamilton, Hathaway, Chiasson or some other kid from the farm.)

Giordano-D. Hamilton
Stone(C)-Brodie
xxx-xxxx(D)

A true # 1 Goalie(B)
xxxxx

x would need to be filled through trade(get that line a top 6 RW), the xx could be Ferland and xxx and xxxx could be one(hopefully 2) of the kids from the farm. xxxxx should not be hard to fill.

(A) Jankowski has had a great season in the AHL and is one of the big reason's that the Stockton Heat is in the playoffs and you can switch Bennett to center if you like. Jankowski is ready for the jump to the NHL.

(B) Has to be some one who can carry the mail and play 60+ games and post above .920 Save % and around 2.22 GAA.

(C) Stone has looked with the Flames if they can sign him to a good deal than they should or look for another good top 4 D.

(D) One(hopefully 2) of the Kids from the farm really deserves the chance.

If Vegas takes Brouwer and Stajan and Bouma are traded, that would be very good.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #44
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I don't really want Hall, but I want Schneider. I agree he's a loser but he's the best forward NJ has.

And if we're moving Gaudreau to get Schneider I want a top line piece coming back.

Plus we also have to give to get someone to take Brouwer.
So we give LV a little incentive to take Brouwer. Then we flip other assets to acquire Schneider, keep Johnny, and avoid Captain Derp.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #45
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames move Gaudreau as part of a package for a 31 year old goalie coming off his worst year of his career I'm going to go on a murder spree.

And no thanks to Hall. Awesome set of tools with no tool box to put them in.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #46
SilverKast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Brouwer - Bennett - Chiasson
Bouma - Jankowski - Lazar
F.Hamilton/Hathaway

Giordano - D.Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Anderrson - Kulak/Engelland

Fleury
Gillies

- would be nice to pick up Fleury to fill in for the next two years of his contract while our goalies come up, not sure what it would take to get him though
- Guessing Stajan gets picked up by LV, wouldn't hurt my feelings if it was Brouwer though
- Would also be just as happy to see Bouma in Stockton and have someone else filling that slot - like Hathaway
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #47
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would take Hall, not at that price though

giving up on Gaudreau after starting his career with 3 60+ point seasons never playing with a top end RWer is ridiculous
Old 04-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #48
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
Brouwer - Bennett - Chiasson
Bouma - Jankowski - Lazar
F.Hamilton/Hathaway

Giordano - D.Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Anderrson - Kulak/Engelland

Fleury
Gillies

- would be nice to pick up Fleury to fill in for the next two years of his contract while our goalies come up, not sure what it would take to get him though
- Guessing Stajan gets picked up by LV, wouldn't hurt my feelings if it was Brouwer though
- Would also be just as happy to see Bouma in Stockton and have someone else filling that slot - like Hathaway
If they do that to Bennett next season, I'm going to lose it. Kid deserves so much better.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #49
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Probably not worth it's own thread so I'll ask here.

What players in the system right now are capable of being moved to the RW and succeeding in a top 6 role?
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #50
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Conservatively:
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Brouwer
Bouma - Stajan - Lazar
Hamilton

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Kylington - Engelland
Bartkowski

Bishop
Johnson

Ideally:
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland/Oshie
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Oshie/Ferland
Versteeg - Stajan - Lazar
Bouma

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Kylington - Engelland
Bartkowski

Miller
Johnson

Rationale:
  • Priority #1 is to sign the best goalie available. I think Bishop is more likely but Ryan Miller would probably come with a shorter term so I'd consider him as well. 3 years, 5-6M would be ideal for Gillies' timeline.
  • Ferland on the top line is adequate as long as we can get an effective Bennett line as well. I bumped Tkachuk down to try to bolster Bennett's line while freeing up the Backlund-Frolik to help out Jankowski's NHL transition.
  • Brodie-Stone were excellent as a pair in the playoffs and I see no reason to change the top 4. I'd bring back Stone as long as his demands aren't ridiculous.
  • I'd be content with Johnson as a backup provided we have a real #1, not a 1A/1B. I'm not sure we can really improve upon him as a backup without spending a lot more money.
  • I'm assuming Brouwer doesn't get picked by Vegas in the conservative version. If he does, we can throw some money at Radulov or Oshie to either bump Ferland down to Bennett's line, or play on Bennett's line.
  • I'd be in favour of bringing back Versteeg, but he's the first cap casualty if we run out of money. I loved his play in the playoffs, but unfortunately his spot is one of the few available and we need some prospects to make the jump.
  • I'd also bring back Chiasson in a 4th line role, but he could also be a cap casualty if he asks for much more than $1M. I think Lazar steals his spot though, and could move up the lineup.
  • Swap Kylington with Kulak, Wotherspoon, Andersson, etc if you need. Whoever has the best showing in camp
  • I'd love to upgrade on Engelland, but I don't see any F/A that should be available in the $1M-$2M range that are a clear upgrade.

In all honesty, I think the roster we ended the year with can do some damage with just a few tweaks. That top 4 D with a solid goaltender behind them can make us an elite defensive team, and the forward core, despite lacking a true superstar, is deep and capable of scoring goals top to bottom. Another year of refinement and I think we challenge for the division next year.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #51
BruceCody
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Versteeg
Klimchuk - Jankowski - Ferland
Carroll - Bennett - Hathaway

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Kulak - Andersson

Ramo
Rittich/Gillies
BruceCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #52
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curious to know, those who have Oshie at 1R, what they think it'll cost to bring him in here?
I can't see a reason for him to want to sign here unless we're really opening the bank for him.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #53
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Probably not worth it's own thread so I'll ask here.

What players in the system right now are capable of being moved to the RW and succeeding in a top 6 role?
Monahan
Tkachuk
Gaudreau
Maybe Bennett - Didn't work so well early in the season
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #54
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Free Agent
Tkachuk-Bennett-Ferland
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Lazar-Hamilton/Hathaway

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Stone
Kulak-Free Agent

Free Agent
Johnson/Gillies

Another scoring threat up front and some solid goaltending is the priorities, the 6th d-man can probably be filled from the farm.

Honestly I just want to see what the Tkachuk-Bennett-Ferland line is capable of.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #55
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why don't people like Ferland on the top line? He was quite productive this time around there. He's got a cannon of a shot and the skill to keep up with the other two.

I'd rather find a winger for Bennett to thrive with.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #56
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk (1)
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik (2)
Versteeg - Bennett - Ferland (3)
Stajan - Lazar - Hathaway (4)
Brouwer / Bouma (5)

(1) It's early, but Tkachuk is a power foward who is great below the hashmarks and on the boards. He's got the skill and creativity to contribute and my hope is that this can be one of the top first lines in the league. It might not happen next year, but Monahan and Gaudreau are entering their primes now and shouldn't need a veteran to help them. I know that Ferland works alright on that line, but I prefer loading up skill to spreading it out.
(2) The 3M line was great, but Backlund and Frolik have done such an excellent job developing players on their line that I would like to see Jankowski move there for a season.
(3) Versteeg won me over at the end of the year and he's a player with enough skill that Bennett isn't being totally forgotten here. Gotta see how the chemistry works out but this would be a line with a lot of edge and a decent amount of talent.
(4) I think that Stajan is probably going to spend his last season with the Flames in and out of the line up. I vastly prefer Hathaway to Chiasson and hopefully Lazar can be effective in a fourth line role until he forces his way up through the line up.
(5) No clue what to do with Brouwer. Hopefully he is taken in the expansion draft... otherwise he represents a problem for the line up. It would be unlikely that they would have him as an extra at his salary. I'd see if Bouma can actually make the team and send him to the minors if he doesn't beat someone out for a spot.

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Stone
Del Zotto - Andersson (6)
Bartkowski

(6) The team needs an upgrade on Bartkowski, but I figure if Stone re-signs it will be tough to get much of an upgrade. Del Zotto isn't the player that he used to be but he is still playing nearly 20 minutes per game, still playing a pretty physical game with 3.4 hits per game, positive shot attempts (51.24%), and 18 points in 51 games without playing much on the powerplay anymore.

Fleury/Gillies (7)

(7) Would like to see Elliott move on because he is too inconsistent and he was the main reason for the sweep. I like Johnson, but Parsons should be the starter in the AHL and Gillies can start getting work in the NHL. Who knows if Fleury will waive to come to Calgary or not, but the price should be reasonable as they have to move him or buy him out and the contract length is just about right. He's not a perfect option, but he's a legitimate starter who has cup winning experience.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #57
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Monahan
Tkachuk
Gaudreau
Maybe Bennett - Didn't work so well early in the season
Wonder why we didn't try Tkachuk or Gaudreau on the right side at all.

Would make the lines so much easier.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #58
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

TJ Oshie
Karl Alzner
Versteeg re-up
A goalie

Ferland was an acceptable stop gap, but he's not a top line player.

If our top line and second pairing are the same or worse (lose Stone) heading into next season...fml. One or both need to be upgraded.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #59
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Wonder why we didn't try Tkachuk or Gaudreau on the right side at all.

Would make the lines so much easier.
That's one thing I wanted to see was Tkachuk on the Monahan line. He is a beast on the boards and below the hash marks. He would be a set up machine for Monahan in the slot. Also the creativity and skill he has could mesh well with Johnny.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #60
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Why don't people like Ferland on the top line? He was quite productive this time around there. He's got a cannon of a shot and the skill to keep up with the other two.

I'd rather find a winger for Bennett to thrive with.
Ferland is a hard worker. He has the heart and the body. But he is not the first-line guy. He clearly does not have the skill level or hockey IQ level needed to play with the bona-fide first-line guys, like Gaudreau and Monahan. It is quite evident, I think. He should be playing on the third line wtih Bennett, where he would be an excellent fit.

Our first line needs a big elite right-winger. Unfortunately, there are not many of them available for grabs. Oshie is good, but he's not big enough. I hope we don't go after him, actually, but he may be the only available option other than Radulov, who's big and strong and skilled but has temper and attitude issues. Plus, I heard he wants to stay in Montreal.

Out of the available elite UFAs this summer, most players are older - over 35. Which means that our chances of getting a big elite RW through the UFA market are not good at all. Trade? Whom?

Another thought, I don't understand how people see Bennett on the first or second line. He has not played that well yet to prove that he can.

And yeah, go after Bishop and give him 6 years at $6.5M, if that does it. He is worth it.

Tags
too soon?