Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #1
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:
Default Cactus League

I’m going to be in Phoenix at the beginning of March with a large group of people and we thought we’d catch a game one afternoon. Never been before and I don’t think we really care who we see, just an excuse to watch some ball and drink some beer with some friends. Don’t feel like spending a crazy amount of money. Anyone been that has some helpful hints for a first timer?
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
Sammymydog1
Draft Pick

We have been to spring training many times & will be going again next year. Good times watching some baseball in the sun with a cold beer & ballpark junk food!!

Where you are staying might dictate what park you go to. If you are in Scottsdale you are close to the Giants, Dbacks, Rockies, Angels & Cubs - not that the other parks are that far. The new Cubs park is great. They will sell out most every game so you either need to get tickets in advance or buy from a scalper on the street in front. Other teams will sellout popular or weekend games. All teams use dynamic pricing which means those popular games or weekends will cost more. Teams like the Brewers & A's don't draw such big crowds & have older stadiums so tickets are easier to come by. You can probably get a cheap ticket at those stadiums for $10-15. Cubs or Giants cheap tickets are more like $30. And of course, a cold beer will run you $12 bucks but that is money well spent at a ballgame.

Depending on what park you go to & what your are looking for there is some tailgate parties or you can watch some batting practice before games. Regulars players will only play a couple of innings in early March & often not travel to road games. Some of the parks will have a booth where you can meet retired payers signing autographs for charity ($20). Fergie Jenkins, Rollie Fingers, Gaylord Perry etc. We have also caught a Suns game or ASU basketball game that time of year as well. OKC & Cleveland are both there in early March. Always a good time. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Last edited by Sammymydog1; 10-22-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Sammymydog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sammymydog1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I think we’ll be staying in Scottsdale, not far from the Backs/Rockies field which looks super nice, so we’ll probably head there. Haven’t seen a schedule yet for those teams, should be coming out soon hopefully. I wish I was going down there just for ball, would be awesome to check out a few parks/games.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote