Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Scotch Appreciation Thread

I've been wanting to do this for awhile now, and my father's day gift made me think this was the right time to start this thread.

I'm thinking this should be purely about scotch, but if people want to make it a general whiskey thread, that's fine too. From the finest distillations to the cheapest junk, submit the brand/style/vintage along with a brief review. I'm hoping to get some new ideas of different scotches/whiskies to try, and I would like this to be a resource for all on the board.

To start:

Lagavulin, Double Matured, 1999 (bottled 2015):

Colour: Dark amber/caramel
Nose: Sweet, spicy, smokey; hints of orange, lemon, and cinnamon
Mouth: Powerful, moderately sweet, smokey, hints of clove and brown sugar
Aftertaste: Slightly peaty, mellow, sherry, oak.

This is a scotch to be savored. It would be best consumed by a large roaring fire after a day spent fishing, hiking, skiing...any outdoor activity really. It's such a beautifully mellowed scotch with intense flavor that it deserves to be consumed neat. No ice should ever touch this liquid. Neither is this a scotch to get drunk off, since the sense would be dulled and the experience of enjoying this whiskey would be ruined. It's not cheap, but for a special occasion, spend the money well on this beautiful scotch.

Now I should say that this is not meant to be a pretentious thread and you don't have to follow my lead on what or how to write. Write whatever the beverage makes you think of, or what you notice when drinking it. This is simply an appreciation thread, not necessarily a snooty connoisseur thread. Just share stuff, that's it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

There is this thread in case you missed it. Not sure if it's similar to what you're looking to talk about.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ghlight=scotch
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #3
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
There is this thread in case you missed it. Not sure if it's similar to what you're looking to talk about.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ghlight=scotch
I searched for one, but nothing comes up in the search function on this site. I guess I'm doing it wrong.

Either way, maybe it's time to start fresh.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I searched for one, but nothing comes up in the search function on this site. I guess I'm doing it wrong.

Either way, maybe it's time to start fresh.
It is in the off topic forum, so that may have been an issue
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mods, feel free to merge threads if that makes it easier.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #6
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind merging the threads, or letting the other one die. It being the the off topic forum meant that it was being quickly pushed off of the page and into obscurity.

The last two scotches that I picked up were the Glendronach 15 year revival, and the Longrow 11 year Cab Sauv. I tend to alternate between peated and unpeated, and was very happy with both of these selections. Another choice will need to be made in under a month, by the looks of things.