Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #81
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Basically the best way to look at our success is to acknowledge that it takes poor seasons and high draft picks to rebuild a team successfully, which can take years upon years, and false starts/missteps. So you look at our roster players and where they would likley be redrafted and that's where you see why we are where we are.

Monahan - Top 5 pick
Gaudreau - Top 5 pick
Hamilton - Top 5 pick
Tkachuk - Top 5 pick
Brodie - Top 10 pick
Backlund - Top 15 pick
Hamonic - Top 10 pick
Giordano - Top 10 pick
Bennett - Top 10 pick (possibly elevated in the next two years)

Without actually tanking our core resembles that of a team that has continually tanked to the tune of a minimum four top 5 and four top 10 draft picks if they were re-drafted. That's insane and will have any franchise smelling like roses.
You could add "Ferland - 2nd round pick" IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #82
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Is it unfair to say he has that potential though?

He may very well continue at that pace and become one of the best wingers in the game.

But it also wouldnt' surprise me to see Gaudreau do that if that top line finds a RW with some chemistry. Gaudreau (and the entire team) had a slow start, he was injured in the middle of the season and he spent the year with a revolving door on RW playing with the likes of Chaisson etc.

I am simply saying there's no concrete way of breaking this list down at present. It's completely subjective, and the top three forwards being mentioned could all shoot out ahead of one another in the coming years.

No one knows at this point, so to come in and declare one take as the correct one is really suspect.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #83
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I think some of you are ignoring the dmen. I think Hamilton goes ahead of Gaudreau in a redraft. Top 2 dmen are more valuable overall than 1st line undersized wingers. Arguably Larsson maybe goes ahead of him as well, depends on the organizational philosophy.
What in the god damn world??!!

Anyways, if I was redrafting I'd probably go

1. Scheifele
2. Kucherov
3. Hamilton
4. Gaudreau

I'd have to think long and hard about Hamilton and Gaudreau, though. Could easily be convinced to swap them.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #84
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Kucherov is a beast. He's gotten better every season and hasn't regressed. At some point, he's going to have to but he's already put himself in Stamkos territory for Tampa fans. The guy put up 85 points in 74 games without Stamkos last season. Tampa is a great team to watch.....if you follow them, you'll quickly realize Kucherov is amazing. When he goes into god-mode....he's unstoppable.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robaur For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #85
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One season can change a lot as far as popular opinion goes.

A year ago, NHL.com put out an article suggesting Johnny would go #1 in a re-draft:

https://www.nhl.com/news/2011-nhl-re...-1/c-280996940

I fully expect this discussion will be different at this time next year as well.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #86
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post

I fully expect this discussion will be different at this time next year as well.
Well obviously. That's the nature of sports, but this is a discussion about redrafting today.

The point was, there was no need for your snarky comment. The guy put effort into his post, gave a fair analysis and you chime in with a stupid drive by because he didn't have Gaudreau as number 1. Instead he had the player fighting for the Rocket Richard and 1.15 PPG average...

"Hey, I think you're putting too much emphasis on last season production and not looking at their careers as a whole, while Gaudreau had a down year I think he's bound to bounce back and I think Kucherov takes a step back, things just went too good for him. That's why I would still chose Gaudreau over Kucherov.." or whatever argument you may have had. Instead you chose to post and be a ###### "Look at the HFBoards logic."
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #87
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Well obviously. That's the nature of sports, but this is a discussion about redrafting today.

The point was, there was no need for your snarky comment. The guy put effort into his post, gave a fair analysis and you chime in with a stupid drive by because he didn't have Gaudreau as number 1. Instead he had the player fighting for the Rocket Richard and 1.15 PPG average...

"Hey, I think you're putting too much emphasis on last season production and not looking at their careers as a whole, while Gaudreau had a down year I think he's bound to bounce back and I think Kucherov takes a step back, things just went too good for him. That's why I would still chose Gaudreau over Kucherov.." or whatever argument you may have had. Instead you chose to post and be a ###### "Look at the HFBoards logic."
I never suggested the opinion was invalid because Gaudreau wasn't No. 1.

You're the one that immediately jumped on the "homer glasses" train (which is even more counterproductive to the discussion). I've said several times now it's subjective, while you're the one who anointed one view-point as the correct one.

As far as you not liking the tone of my post, you went one further and started ranting with an even worse one. Again, I just chalk it up to disregarding your take on the matter entirely. Feel free to do the same with mine.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:14 AM   #88
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What in the god damn world??!!

Anyways, if I was redrafting I'd probably go

1. Scheifele
2. Kucherov
3. Hamilton
4. Gaudreau

I'd have to think long and hard about Hamilton and Gaudreau, though. Could easily be convinced to swap them.
Good list but no way I take Hamilton ahead of Gaudreau. Hamilton still struggles in the defensive zone a bit and isn't a game changer as often as Gaudreau is.

But yes, no way would any GM take Larsson over Hamilton.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #89
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Good list but no way I take Hamilton ahead of Gaudreau. Hamilton still struggles in the defensive zone a bit and isn't a game changer as often as Gaudreau is.

But yes, no way would any GM take Larsson over Hamilton.
I would struggle with Johnny vs. Hamilton.

It would likely come down to what my greatest need was.

Assuming I was starting a team from scratch, and ignoring who I thought the fans would prefer, I'd be hard pressed to not choose the big puck moving d-man.

It's really hard to compare forwards and d-men.

Of course its' nice that we don't need to choose, as we have them both.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #90
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I think when we look back at Johnny's career, last season is going to be nothing more than an anomaly. I think this guy pushes 1+ PPG through his prime.

(Also, how do you make points per game (PPG) not look like powerplay goals (PPG), again?)
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #91
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
. Top 2 dmen are more valuable overall than 1st line undersized wingers. Arguably Larsson maybe goes ahead of him as well, depends on the organizational philosophy.
Nah. Gaudreau is a star piece. Larsson is a role player.

Even that 5th spot, Parayko, Manson, Trochek, Palat, Rakell, Landeskog, Jenner, Huberdeau, and Klefbom would go ahead of Adam Larsson in a re-draft. I still think Larsson is a top pair D on a steal of a contract but he is closer to that Hjalmarsson tier of low-end #2s.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-25-2017 at 11:14 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #92
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Larssson and Hjalmasson are 3-4 guys on good teams.

They are both at Brodie - Hamonic levels, not top pairing.

The only guy out of these 4 that is arguably a top pairing guy is Brodie
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #93
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanin80 View Post
(also, how do you make points per game (ppg) not look like powerplay goals (ppg), again?)
Points per Game Played = P/GP
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #94
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I feel the Flames hitting a home run on Johnny is among the main reasons the rebuild appears to be over and the team a contender 4.5 years after trading Iginla.
I always wonder what happens to us if we don't draft Johnny (or he doesn't pan out). We probably finish bottom 5 in 2015. Maybe we draft McDavid. Maybe we draft Strome. Everything would have been so different.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #95
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Off topic...but I know many of us point to Backlund as a reason to preach patience with Bennett.

Scheifele would be another good example IMO. I guess he never really saw his points dip like Bennett did last year (crappy linemates, no PP, 3rd line TOI) but look at all the high praise Scheifele is getting (and deserving) for his performance in his DRAFT + 6 !!! year.

Sam is 3 years younger than Scheifele. Plenty of time to develop.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:25 AM   #96
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Part 2 of this compilation. Sean Monahan a steal?

https://realsport101.com/news/sports...ears-part-two/
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #97
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
Part 2 of this compilation. Sean Monahan a steal?

https://realsport101.com/news/sports...ears-part-two/
While I think in a redraft of 2013, Monahan could go higher than 6, but that was a really good draft year.
Barkov, Jones, MacKinnon, Monahan, Drouin, Ristolainen... a lot of talent there.

I liked Barkov best at draft and I still do now, but perhaps a case could be made for Monahan at #2, or since very strong cases could be made for others, 6 may be the true spot.

So I wouldn't say a "steal" but I do think best player available at #6
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #98
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Like with Simmonds, they missed a couple players who despite being steals when they were finally drafted, were actually passed over outright before that even happened.

Ondrej Palat was drafted in his second year of eligibility, while Viktor Arvidsson was passed over by every team for three drafts before finally getting selected in his fourth year of eligibility. Remarkable, especially in the case of Arvidsson.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #99
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Johnny making a cameo in this eppie with the boys

Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote