Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #101
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be updating this thread with news from a Canadian point of view every week in case anyone here is interested in following our Canucks abroad.

Currently there's 2 Canadian's playing in the BPL. Simeon Jackson with Norwich City, and Junior Hoilett with Blackburn Rovers. Jackson has been capped for Canada 19 times, and Hoilett hasn't decided whether to play for Canada or Jamaica (he better pick Canada or he will forever feel the Voyageurs wrath).

Hoilett played a full 90 with 1 SOG, and Jackson did not see any action.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #102
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I'll be updating this thread with news from a Canadian point of view every week in case anyone here is interested in following our Canucks abroad.

Currently there's 2 Canadian's playing in the BPL. Simeon Jackson with Norwich City, and Junior Hoilett with Blackburn Rovers. Jackson has been capped for Canada 19 times, and Hoilett hasn't decided whether to play for Canada or Jamaica (he better pick Canada or he will forever feel the Voyageurs wrath).

Hoilett played a full 90 with 1 SOG, and Jackson did not see any action.
I have only seen bits and pieces of the story but what is Hoilett's hold up?

Canada and Jamaica have both been waiting over a year for him to decide right?

Would think that World Cup qualifying would be the time he has to decide
Old 08-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #103
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I have only seen bits and pieces of the story but what is Hoilett's hold up?

Canada and Jamaica have both been waiting over a year for him to decide right?

Would think that World Cup qualifying would be the time he has to decide
IIRC he's waiting to sort out his club status before committing internationally. There's also been rumours that he wants to attend Canadian camp, but his father is reluctant. If he picks Canada, he instantly becomes the face of the national team for the next decade, and helps ease the pain somewhat of players like Hargreaves and Begovic spurning the national program.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:32 AM   #104
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Newcastle United and Arsenal have been charged by The FA with failing to control their players following Saturday’s (13 August) fixture at St James’ Park.
Quote:
Following Gervinho’s dismissal Arsenal have today lodged a claim that the standard punishment of a three match suspension is clearly excessive. A regulatory Commission will hear that claim on 16 August.

Meanwhile Arsenal’s Alex Song has been charged separately by The FA with violent conduct following an incident earlier in the same fixture.
http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Disciplin...rsenal-charged
Old 08-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #105
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Song will get 3 games, Barton can't get anything extra because he was all ready given a yellow
Old 08-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #106
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

UEFA are going to make an inquiry to the sponsorship Man City received at their stadium

which was something like 10x what anyone else has gotten, and was clearly one of their oil baron's oil buddies doing him a favor

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14490740.stm

Man United are going public as well by the end of the year
Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #107
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I for one will miss Eboue

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #108
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
IIRC he's waiting to sort out his club status before committing internationally. There's also been rumours that he wants to attend Canadian camp, but his father is reluctant. If he picks Canada, he instantly becomes the face of the national team for the next decade, and helps ease the pain somewhat of players like Hargreaves and Begovic spurning the national program.
David Hoilett has been quite the depth addition for Blackburn. Playing against the best defenders in the premiership will make him a cornerstone for Canada, hopefully he chooses Canada. Especially with him being so young now all we need is pops to stay out of it.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #109
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

probly after his comments got out today, he is acting basically the opposite of Cesc, I think if/when Cesc ever plays another game at the emirates he gets cheered

Nasri is going the Adebayor route

language a tad nsfw obviously
Old 08-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #110
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm pretty sure it was before/during the match on Saturday as he mentioned it on twitter yesterday:

@Nanas08
Quote:
I heard what the fans were singing about me on saturday and it is really disrespectful because i'm still a arsenal player
15 Aug
The typical response was "Yeah, but for how long?"
Old 08-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #111
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Sammi, we're supposed to think of you still as an Arsenal player, simply because the technicalities of your leave haven't been finalizes...right

I'm glad to see the Arsenal fanbase being hard on guys like this. We need players that want to be there and it's time to put some steel & heart back into the lineup. Enough of the trophy entitled mentality.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #112
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Manchester City are close to agreeing a deal to sign Samir Nasri from Arsenal.

The transfer could be finalised in the next 24 hours, with City paying Arsenal a reported £25m.

Nasri, who joined the Gunners from Marseille in 2008, is into the final 12 months of his contract and has rejected a new deal at the Emirates Stadium.

The France midfielder, 24, would become the second high-profile departure from Arsenal this week after Cesc Fabregas joined Barcelona on Monday.

More to follow.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #113
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, isnt that the exact same offer from like a month ago? Isnt the point to hold out for more money?

Its the same thing with Fabregas, they held out and dragged it on and on and on and eventually just took what they were initially offered.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #114
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay, isnt that the exact same offer from like a month ago? Isnt the point to hold out for more money?

Its the same thing with Fabregas, they held out and dragged it on and on and on and eventually just took what they were initially offered.
Nasri is a completely different scenario, he can leave for free next year, he can sign a contract with another team on January 1, 2012

Fabregas was more like Ronaldo, the manager asked for an extra year and got it from the player, Wenger and Cesc both said in the press conferences that he was going to leave this summer no matter what, Wenger just wanted to get the best deal for the club, and considering he was only ever going one place it's a decent amount of money.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #115
DeanOMac
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Guess we can't "pretend" we are a big club anymore...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14563989.stm

Why does he make such hardline stances in the media only to look like a fool? The club has become a joke and unless he does a 180 and spends some money in the next two weeks, I will firmly be in the fire Wenger camp (i'm already partially in it). It's one thing to choke year after year while paying for a stadium, but to turn the club into a mockery is embarassing, and a step too far, for the die-hard supporters.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #116
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the big club stuff is silly, as Wenger said, better players than Cesc have left before

the whole idea of a 'big' club nowadays is out of wack, City and Chelsea are not even part of the top 10 biggest clubs in England in my opinion, they are just the richest at the moment

and in 2-3 years when the financial stuff comes in, if it's done right, and while UEFA hasn't been perfect they have been a lot less corrupt than FIFA, City and Chelsea are going to massively suffer
Old 08-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #117
DeanOMac
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think the big club stuff is silly, as Wenger said, better players than Cesc have left before

the whole idea of a 'big' club nowadays is out of wack, City and Chelsea are not even part of the top 10 biggest clubs in England in my opinion, they are just the richest at the moment

and in 2-3 years when the financial stuff comes in, if it's done right, and while UEFA hasn't been perfect they have been a lot less corrupt than FIFA, City and Chelsea are going to massively suffer
True, those clubs are not that big (especially City) and Uefa is investigating that sponsorship deal Man City signed. Hopefully they plug up the loop holes as a sponsorship deal that is 10x any other going rate screams rule breaking (in spirit).

I'm not worried about Cesc or Nasri individually, more the fact we can't keep a top player anymore. Often it is due to stupid stances like age/term of contracts or low ball offers. I admit that other times we have no choice (Cesc).
The collection of everyone leaving has me wanting Wenger to go, unless he does a massive reversal and spends some real money on players who are not 17 or under.

Last edited by DeanOMac; 08-17-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #118
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I feel bad for the season ticket holders that swallowed an increase only to later find out in the summer that two stars are gone? What a kick in the junk that must feel like. To be at the start of the season, even if Wenger went out to buy, it takes time to integrate players.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #119
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanOMac View Post
I'm not worried about Cesc or Nasri individually, more the fact we can't keep a top player anymore. Often it is due to stupid stances like age/term of contracts or low ball offers. I admit that other times we have no choice (Cesc).
The collection of everyone leaving has me wanting Wenger to go, unless he does a massive reversal and spends some real money on players who are not 17 or under.
As it stands right now I’m not too worried but I’m keeping the panic button within reach. With Cesc, he wants to go back home, and with Nasri, it is starting to look like he is a mercenary. Even so, when your best players start leaving things must be done. In the current case, we need to replace them or else we will have to start asking questions. When players like RvP and Wilshere start to hand in transfer requests, then we will certainly be in danger.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Old 08-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #120
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, for Arsenal supporters, what is the ultimate goal for the season?

- United, City and Chelsea aim to win the league
- Liverpool and Spurs want a CL place

Where do Arsenal supporters see the club's aims? Last season they thought they could win the league and were close until the wheels fell off, but I think its safe to say that this current Arsenal squad are inferior to last season's.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Closed Thread