Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #1041
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Or is it worth trying to find A Samsung PN60F5300 - if I can find it somewhere for a similar price, or not too much more?
Old 02-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #1042
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Costco had that one for a long time, looks like its gone from the site. I have been looking for a 60 as well, i am waiting for them to drop the price on either the Sony or Samsung models. Costco seems to price in the extra warranty but then lowers it to the other stores when they have a sale.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #1043
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ah. I don't use receivers or anything, and rely on all the HDMI ports for all my junk. Carry on. For that price, the TV sure looks tempting...
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #1044
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Nest Question, I'veb een trying to figure out when to spend my Air Miles Dream miles on - I used to be able to get gift cards, but not anymore. They have the Yamaha YHT1810 Home Theatre System, which looks like it could do what I want it to do, although it's functionality doesn't extend much beyond that. (It's pretty much just an HDMI switcher with an integrated audio amplifier, no Component or Composite Video at all). Good idea, or will I be frustrated?

These sound bar systems that are out now, do they need a reciever, or how do they work? Is that an alternative?
Old 02-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #1045
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Nest Question, I'veb een trying to figure out when to spend my Air Miles Dream miles on - I used to be able to get gift cards, but not anymore. They have the Yamaha YHT1810 Home Theatre System, which looks like it could do what I want it to do, although it's functionality doesn't extend much beyond that. (It's pretty much just an HDMI switcher with an integrated audio amplifier, no Component or Composite Video at all). Good idea, or will I be frustrated?

These sound bar systems that are out now, do they need a reciever, or how do they work? Is that an alternative?
Since you are already using 4 HDMI ports, I'd look for a receiver that has 1 or 2 more HDMI ports. Also since you already have a receiver and probably your own speakers, I don't see the sense in buying an all in one package, just upgrade your receiver.

The TV looks like it gets good reviews and I've been happy with my LG TVs. It's a bare bones product but it's said to have a good picture which to me is the most important when buying a TV.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #1046
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Hello, you electronics geeks/geniuses... Can one of you suggest a product that will allow me to use my telus tv, play station and VCR on two different TVs that will be in the same room (all this receiver talk is what inspired this idea)?

Just so that you understand my madness, I have a small second TV in my living room so that I can keep the little one occupied with one of our dozens of Disney VHSs while I watch sports. But when I'm not watching something, I'd like to put her shows on the big TV. As it is now, I simply have two VCRs, but I am now imagining a world where I can let her watch some of the stuff on netflix kids so that I don't have to hear Ariel whine about wanting to be human for the 1000th time, while I'm watching hockey.

I know one solution is to buy a smart TV, but there's also the DVD thing, where we've got lots of things she can only watch on the big TV because that's where the PS3 is wired.

Basically I'm imagining a hub where all things go in, and I can decide what TV it gets played on. Suggestions?

Also, an afterthought question. If such a device exists that will do what I'm hoping, does anyone know if I could take this a step further and get a second telus box (like the tuner for the bedroom), and have two boxes going into the same receiver, and then play different live TV channels on the two TVs?

I know this is such a first world problem, I'm almost embarrassed. And I barely like TV. I just really like sports, and most of us here know that there are some pretty bad log jams at certain times of year with different pro seasons overlapping and playing at the same time.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #1047
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Hello, you electronics geeks/geniuses... Can one of you suggest a product that will allow me to use my telus tv, play station and VCR on two different TVs that will be in the same room (all this receiver talk is what inspired this idea)?

Just so that you understand my madness, I have a small second TV in my living room so that I can keep the little one occupied with one of our dozens of Disney VHSs while I watch sports. But when I'm not watching something, I'd like to put her shows on the big TV. As it is now, I simply have two VCRs, but I am now imagining a world where I can let her watch some of the stuff on netflix kids so that I don't have to hear Ariel whine about wanting to be human for the 1000th time, while I'm watching hockey.

I know one solution is to buy a smart TV, but there's also the DVD thing, where we've got lots of things she can only watch on the big TV because that's where the PS3 is wired.

Basically I'm imagining a hub where all things go in, and I can decide what TV it gets played on. Suggestions?

Also, an afterthought question. If such a device exists that will do what I'm hoping, does anyone know if I could take this a step further and get a second telus box (like the tuner for the bedroom), and have two boxes going into the same receiver, and then play different live TV channels on the two TVs?

I know this is such a first world problem, I'm almost embarrassed. And I barely like TV. I just really like sports, and most of us here know that there are some pretty bad log jams at certain times of year with different pro seasons overlapping and playing at the same time.
I know it introduces complexity, but a relatively cheap receiver is the way I'd go. You can pick up an older used model with composite, S video, or component video inputs for the VHS, as well as HDMI inputs for your newer stuff. Used receivers are dirt cheap, and speakers are cheap too.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 02-21-2015, 05:16 PM   #1048
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure about your Telus box but on my Bell TV boxes, I have component and HDMI outputs that will work at the same time. I hook up the closest TV on component and the further away one on HDMI.

You can also get HDMI powered splitters, although this won't help you with your VCR.

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Inde...HDMI+splitters

For your VCR you can get RCA jack splitters.

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Inde...=RCA+splitters

These RCA splitters will also work with component cables.

Last edited by Vulcan; 02-21-2015 at 05:23 PM.
4X4
Old 02-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #1049
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
One HDMI is not a big deal, my concern about LG is i have observed over the years that they generally have poor quality control compared to Sony and Samsung. Samsung or Sony will have occasional issues that they get caught on(samsung LCDs had some under-spec capacitors in their LCDs a while ago), in contrast with LG its always a bunch of different things and surprises. There is a reason why they are always cheaper and rank low on consumer reports.
Really? All I have ever seen or read is that LG is now the top of the line tv company.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:16 AM   #1050
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Got the LG plasma, Visions price matched from the price tag photo I had taken at Target.

Also got a Yamaha receiver, and re hooked everything up how I wished I was able to hook everything up previously. Finally have my surround speakers hooked up too.

Now about centre channel speakers, I don't have one. What am I missing out on?
Old 02-23-2015, 02:08 AM   #1051
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Got the LG plasma, Visions price matched from the price tag photo I had taken at Target.

Also got a Yamaha receiver, and re hooked everything up how I wished I was able to hook everything up previously. Finally have my surround speakers hooked up too.

Now about centre channel speakers, I don't have one. What am I missing out on?
With a centre channel speaker anything broadcast in 5.1 or 7.1, which should be pretty much everything, the dialogue sounds clearer as it is mainly pushed thru the centre channel. it makes a noticeable difference.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #1052
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Started a new thread for more exposure.

More photos on Flickr

Last edited by Regulator75; 02-23-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #1053
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

On the subject of insufficient HDMI ports, my rather long in the tooth receiver (an old Pioneer Elite) has only 2 HDMI inputs. Great receiver for my setup otherwise, so I went with an HDMI switcher like this http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX52813

Easily programmed into my Harmony remote and it gives me enough inputs to carry me over for a while longer.

I was using component for a couple of inputs for a while, but it limited me to sub-1080p resolution on the Bluray and the Xbox. Nice to have everything at full resolution.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #1054
SlapPuck
Draft Pick

TV: 60" Samsung 7500 3D Smart LED
Speakers: Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system
Sub: Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system
Receiver: Denon AVR 2310CI
Gaming: PS4, Wii U
Seating: Reclining leather couch from Revolve

Not a crazy setup but looks and sounds great!
SlapPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #1055
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cupofjoe, or anyone else, what would you recommend for a pair of outdoor speakers with decent sound quality at around $250 per pair? I will be mounting them under my soffits which are about 28 inches and will be hooking them up to a Pioneer VSX1123k receiver?

Often times I see Polk Atriums or similar on sale at Future Shop or Visions for under $100 but I doubt the sound quality is any good.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #1056
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need to install speakers and surround sound on my main floor TV. the acoustics of the room either have you straining to hear or being blasted out depending upon where you sit.

But I have no idea where/how to start, or how much I should be budgeting for hardware and installation. And where to find a good installer in Edmonton.

TV is a few years old (Samsung) but it works great for us.

Love to hear suggestions.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #1057
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd get an A/V receiver with a calibration set up. Denon uses Audssey and it seems to work pretty well. You move the mic to various parts of the room so the receiver compensates for the layout.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-us...r-calibration/
Old 03-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #1058
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Cupofjoe, or anyone else, what would you recommend for a pair of outdoor speakers with decent sound quality at around $250 per pair? I will be mounting them under my soffits which are about 28 inches and will be hooking them up to a Pioneer VSX1123k receiver?

Often times I see Polk Atriums or similar on sale at Future Shop or Visions for under $100 but I doubt the sound quality is any good.
The best improvement in overall sound quality in outdoor speakers is bass extension IMO. I would suggest that if you find a pair in your price range with a bigger driver (6.5") so you have a better base extension. Polks are decent. I typically spec my entry level speakers as Episode speakers 6.5. PM if you would like a price. Just remember, an outdoor deck/patio is a crappy acoustic environment, so the environment will be the much bigger determining factor in the sound quality than the speaker.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 03-09-2015 at 03:44 PM.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:58 AM   #1059
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I need to install speakers and surround sound on my main floor TV. the acoustics of the room either have you straining to hear or being blasted out depending upon where you sit.

But I have no idea where/how to start, or how much I should be budgeting for hardware and installation. And where to find a good installer in Edmonton.

TV is a few years old (Samsung) but it works great for us.

Love to hear suggestions.
In terms of acoustics soft furnishings, carpet and curtains are hugely helpfull
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #1060
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I bought a Marantz receiver last year. Can't remember the model name, but it was $1600 so it's pretty decent. The only thing is, I want it to go even louder and I'm pretty sure my speakers could take it.

I would like it to have the ability to go so loud that I would never want to go as loud as it can go. Right now, sometimes I'll listen to it at full blast, but I think it would be cool if it was even louder. What do you do in that case? Is their an external amplifier I should buy? If I do that, would I just plug the speaker wires out from my receiver into the amplifier, then speaker wires would come out of that and go into the speakers?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote