Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #101
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Just called and was told I needed an updated modem and that the new one would be put into bridge mode automatically. Sounds like that might not be accurate but also sounds like it's fine. Will have to wait till next week to get my modem tho.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #102
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

after a couple days of use, i cant seem to get anything higher then about 85 down and 17 up, and that is with a wired connection straight into the new modem. am i doing it wrong? Its still fast, but almost 40% slower then advertised.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #103
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Just called and was told I needed an updated modem and that the new one would be put into bridge mode automatically. Sounds like that might not be accurate but also sounds like it's fine. Will have to wait till next week to get my modem tho.
I was worried about the same thing. Asked the guy at the Shaw counter twice to confirm it was in bridge mode. He said yes it is. Did a private eye roll as I've heard that before only to find it wasn't. Got home, plugged it in. Sure enough the 2.4 and 5Ghz lights start to flash. Whole thing reboots and the WiFi indicators stayed off. So apparently the guy was right this time.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #104
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Telus lifted my rate $5 last month and dinged me with a $5 fee for going 1GB over my download limit. This offer couldn't have come at a better time - hopefully I can leverage them into a better deal for me and a credit against those charges, or just port out if they won't play ball
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #105
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I called in to Telus and the rep I spoke to knew exactly which Shaw plan I was referring to - she happily matched it for me.

Thanks for posting this.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #106
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also, apologies for the ignorance but I really don't know anything about the technology between the two companies.

Is it true that Shaw uses a shared system in the neighborhood so you likely won't get 150mbps anyways? That's what the Telus guy told me.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #107
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Also, apologies for the ignorance but I really don't know anything about the technology between the two companies.

Is it true that Shaw uses a shared system in the neighborhood so you likely won't get 150mbps anyways? That's what the Telus guy told me.
I don't know the answer to this, although the bolded makes me question it.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #108
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

All Internet is shared, it's just a question of if there's enough infrastructure to support everyone where the individual connections come together. Telus doesn't have some kind of magic system where everyone gets an individual connection to the largest backbones. They just take advantage of places where Shaw hasn't kept up with infrastructure resulting in congestion and slower Internet to parrot a marketing line.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #109
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My understanding is Cable is networked on loops - so all households on Shaw in the same neighborhood will share the same network.

DSL uses a direct line from your house to the central office (CO). At the CO, your network traffic gets merged into the larger network. While this better than Shaw at first, dsl connections will degrade the farther away you are from the CO.

Both of these issues are why you will see great reviews and poor reviews of both Shaw and Telus. If you happen to live in a congested neighborhood where everyone is on Shaw, or if you live far away from the nearest CO, you will not see great performance. This is also why customer reviews (of performance) aren't very helpful unless you know that they live near where you live.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #110
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
What is this, 2002? Because that was the last time I saw this problem.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #111
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just cancelled my telus and signed up today. Went from internet 25 with tv and phone spending over 200 per month to internet 150 and tv for 89/month. Amazing deal.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #112
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Just cancelled my telus and signed up today. Went from internet 25 with tv and phone spending over 200 per month to internet 150 and tv for 89/month. Amazing deal.

Wait what, Internet 150 and TV for $89? Which TV package is this, I have to get on this!

Currently I'm on Internet 30 + Basic TV and some add-ons for $120.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #113
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
My understanding is Cable is networked on loops - so all households on Shaw in the same neighborhood will share the same network.

DSL uses a direct line from your house to the central office (CO). At the CO, your network traffic gets merged into the larger network. While this better than Shaw at first, dsl connections will degrade the farther away you are from the CO.

Both of these issues are why you will see great reviews and poor reviews of both Shaw and Telus. If you happen to live in a congested neighborhood where everyone is on Shaw, or if you live far away from the nearest CO, you will not see great performance. This is also why customer reviews (of performance) aren't very helpful unless you know that they live near where you live.
Not entirely true for the cable side. Cable companies use fiber to individual nodes that are roughly 50-a couple of hundred homes at a time by coax cable. If there is congestion it will be at the node to your home as too many homes are on your individual node. Nodes are connected to hubs by fiber and then it's all fiber till it gets to the backbone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_fibre-coaxial

There is a lot of capacity and very little degradation as someone else explained earlier in the thread on coax.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #114
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Since I have had Shaw I have never seen speeds below the plan I have had. This is not the case for all Shaw users however.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #115
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Wait what, Internet 150 and TV for $89? Which TV package is this, I have to get on this!

http://shop.shaw.ca/Bundle2Gateway?i...eslanding-shaw

New subscribers get the $89 rate for year 1 and $144 for year 2. I think existing customers can get the $144 rate for 2 years.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #116
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thought I would add that I'm with Telus and have 1 year left on my contract, had a 3 year that included a free TV. Called to ask how much it would be to cancel. They ended up switching me from internet 25 + 6 pack TV with HBO/Movies for $167 to internet 50 + 6 pack with HBO/Movies. for $100. Pretty happy not having to pay penalty and saving $67 per month.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #117
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

http://shop.shaw.ca/Bundle2Gateway/?...pFohoCWzHw_wcB
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #118
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm on the same package. Internet 30 + Basic TV with Sports and Movies themes for $120. If true, I will be phoning in to get the same deal.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #119
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the best deals people are getting as existing customers for the wide open plan for Shaw?

Right now I have Personal TV + Internet 15 for ~$115/month.

I'm being offered Personal TV + Internet 150 for $110/month (for 1 year, plus the internet being locked for 2 years, the TV is subject to change after the 1 year).

I haven't taken the deal because on Red Flag Deals I'm seeing existing customers get prices at $74.90 for Personal TV + Internet 150 (same as the new customer price).

Seeing if anyone here is getting better prices than what I was offered or the even the same as Red Flag Deals for existing Shaw customers?

Last edited by flamesrule_kipper34; 07-19-2016 at 03:02 PM.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #120
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
after a couple days of use, i cant seem to get anything higher then about 85 down and 17 up, and that is with a wired connection straight into the new modem. am i doing it wrong? Its still fast, but almost 40% slower then advertised.
Could be your Network Adapter, try testing it on wireless using the 5Ghz spectrum.

I am getting 94Mbps, wired to my laptop. 10/100 adapter, and 2.4Ghz...So I bought an external Network adapter.

Tested on my phone using 5Ghz wireless, 150+Mbps.

I'll let you know what I get with the new adapter.

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 07-19-2016 at 04:22 PM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:

Tags
deal , moarspeed! , shaw , telus , wideopen150