Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #1861
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I imagine there was a lineup to buy this property.
Then the price was set poorly.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #1862
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Then the price was set poorly.
Right, pricing it beyond what anyone is likely willing to pay, thus leaving the lot sit barely used for more time while needs for affordable housing units continue to grow. Sounds like a good idea.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #1863
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Right, pricing it beyond what anyone is likely willing to pay, thus leaving the lot sit barely used for more time while needs for affordable housing units continue to grow. Sounds like a good idea.
Is it a lineup if there's a single buyer? Because if not, then this is a false dichotomy.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #1864
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heck I don't care how many were interested or that it sold fast or not, I just care that a good developer got it and they start working asap on the plan for the site and then get it built out.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #1865
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking forward to seeing what it finally looks like in our skyline, but at the same time I'm not looking forward to Telus Sky being finished.

Hard to imagine any new major downtown projects happening for another 5 years. Boo
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #1866
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're talking about new projects happening after Telus Sky - it'll be a heck of a lot longer than 5 years before a new major DT project happens given expected absorption rates, current vacancies, and the prevailing views to the O&G sector....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #1867
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Is it a lineup if there's a single buyer? Because if not, then this is a false dichotomy.
There would have been a lineup long before the price was set. It's been known for ages this property would come available.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #1868
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
If you're talking about new projects happening after Telus Sky - it'll be a heck of a lot longer than 5 years before a new major DT project happens given expected absorption rates, current vacancies, and the prevailing views to the O&G sector....
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #1869
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

There could be hope in the core for more residential development. While I'm not that super keen on it (CBD's around the world are notorious dead zones) and instead prefer development around the core in the established communities that are just bumping along (Beltline, Inglewood/Ramsay, Hillhurst/Sunnyside, Bridgeland, etc). There are sites like the YWCA, the old CBE parcel and some others that definitely have proposals in the works right now, and some in the city (like my Councillor) have seen the plans.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #1870
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't recall if we were talking about Deerfoot City in this thread or if there was a separate thread but I remember there was talk of an entertainment centre being built there with Cineplex and their Rec Room being a cornerstone for that.

I just saw that TopGolf has signed a deal with Cineplex to expand into Canada. http://golfcanada.ca/article/topgolf...nues-to-canada
I wonder if Cineplex and Deerfoot City can make a TopGolf facility work in that space. I would love to see TopGolf in Calgary and Deerfoot City might actually be a good option.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #1871
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

From SSP...17th ave project. WTF is this? Ugly light pole in the middle of the sidewalk, then I assume tree planters? Ya, real pedestrian friendly sidewalk. I can't imagine how horrible this would be in a wheel chair with uneven tree grates every 5 feet. What muppet thought this was a good idea?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #1872
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That's pretty comical actually. The fact that it was approved as well... Somebody should be fired or at worst put on probation

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #1873
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

That is bush league, but I will reserve judgement until it's completed. However, if they're going to expand 17th avenue right into the Stampede Grounds (which I believe is the plan) then surely they are expecting heavier foot traffic along 17th, which makes this incredibly obstructive.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #1874
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The lamp post is bad enough, but maybe the square frames are for inlays? It seems ridiculous that they'd have three trees clustered like that and then none down the rest of the path.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #1875
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That could be. I don't understand why they don't push the lamp post to the edge of the sidewalk(away from the road) though. Why have 1 foot on the side of it?
Old 08-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #1876
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the video at 38 seconds, they could inlays, or trees, or both. Trees are great, but on busy narrow sidewalks it is putting form over function.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #1877
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt those are tree planters. There's no way a wheelchair could get around that if they were.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #1878
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks similar to what they have on Olympic Way, leading into the Stampede Grounds: https://goo.gl/maps/wzAZKTAaEzs

Based on that video, it looks like they'll be putting a wider sidewalk next to these planters, so they'll be a buffer between the road and sidewalk.

I don't know how they'll be able to widen the sidewalk with the existing buildings that go right up to the existing sidewalk though.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #1879
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It looks similar to what they have on Olympic Way, leading into the Stampede Grounds: https://goo.gl/maps/wzAZKTAaEzs

Based on that video, it looks like they'll be putting a wider sidewalk next to these planters, so they'll be a buffer between the road and sidewalk.

I don't know how they'll be able to widen the sidewalk with the existing buildings that go right up to the existing sidewalk though.
Olympic way doesn't scream 'pedestrian friendly'. edit: if they can do the wider sidewalks it's not bad....

Last edited by edslunch; 08-28-2017 at 10:50 AM.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #1880
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

1st Ave in Bridgeland is similar too: https://goo.gl/maps/ybxdypKFvz82

It works a lot better there than Olympic Way because it definitely needs a wider sidewalk to be effective.