Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #41
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I am afraid of something happening to my kids. I am not sure how i could possibly deal with that. I sometimes am up in the middle of the night unable to sleep thinking about scenarios where they could get hurt/killed.

It is quite frankly the worst aspect of having kids.
1000 times this. Before kids, my wife and I were all "we'll never be like those helicopter parents out there". After our son was born it became "ok, yeah we need to be careful and stuff sure, but boys need to be boys".

Then he was diagnosed with a bleeding disorder at 7 months, and everything changed. Thankfully the treatment is straight forward if he bleeds, and we provide preventative treatments that works for a couple days before wearing off. Bleeding episodes so far have been every few months (bleeds longer, not easier or more profusely).

A few weeks ago he was shifting position in the tub, slipped a bit and busted his lip. Cut was too small for stitches but although we treated it, it bled a bunch for a few days and then off and on for another week...about 12 days total. I am still beating myself up for this.

But I am so worried that we might not catch something internal and not as obvious in time. Or something happens to my wife or I and we aren't able to explain to a first responder what to do since it is a rare condition that is rarely encountered.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #42
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Yeah, further to my fear of heights is my nightmare scenario of watching one of my kids fall off a tall building or cliff. Like when I see some video of some guy doing handstands on top of a cliff or something my first immediate thought is oh god, he's really high. If my kid was on that mountain she would jump to her doom.

Talk about a double whammy fear.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #43
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My memory isn't the best anymore but being retired I find this site helps to keep me interested and checking my facts when posting. In other words, ah damn I forgot.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #44
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Yeah, further to my fear of heights is my nightmare scenario of watching one of my kids fall off a tall building or cliff. Like when I see some video of some guy doing handstands on top of a cliff or something my first immediate thought is oh god, he's really high. If my kid was on that mountain she would jump to her doom.

Oh man, I mentioned one of the most terrifying moments with my daughter in another thread. My second most terrifying moment was winter time. We were living in a bungalow where the back door led to a small 4x6 landing that had a 4 steps up to the main floor kitchen, and 10 steps down to the basement.

We had just come home, and my daughter was maybe 4 years old, dressed in a snow suit standing on the landing. I was halfway up the steps to the kitchen, dropping off some bags, my wife was tending to our 1 year old on the landing. As I turned around to help my daughter out of her snowsuit, I see her lose balance and suddenly tumble backwards down the stairs to the basement in slow motion. I'm pretty laid back, but I screamed loud - a mix of horror and the worst feeling of regret.

Fortunately, the stairs and basement were carpeted, and my daughter's snowsuit well padded. She was stunned and shaken, but not hurt - she didn't even cry. But I still feel chills when I think of that moment. Ugh.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #45
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just this week my 17 year old niece, who is pathologically afraid of bananas, was able to touch a picture of a banana in her therapy session. Her mom, my sister in law, thinks yogurt is poison and responsible for the death of half a million people a year. They have not eaten breakfast since 2010.

I am afraid of men. I always have been. Ironically the one time I was robbed was by three gypsy women on a train platform in Budapest. One grabbed my hand and turned my palm up towards her face and then up to the sky. Three bambino's she said. Three. But my life line is short. The other two, mercifully, gathered my wallet and phone.

Opera. I cry almost immediately. Not because it's so beautiful. But because it's literally the most terrifying array of sounds on the planet. The sound of torture and of monsters in the center of the earth. Rogers and Frankenstein

I'm trying to write a short story titled Omniphobia. Trouble is, by definition, there is no end.

Being alone, entropy, decay, death and fire...all reasonable fears. But it's the little sh't that really terrorizes the people I know in this world. My brother was reading an article about bugs in chip bags, on average one full sized bug in every thousand bags, when he killed himself in the field behind his house. My sister will do the same one day because she thinks kisses leave indelible germs and lasting pain.

Pictures of bananas.

It's impossible to live on this planet with a fear of pain.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #46
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post

I am afraid of heights as well but far worse is watching my kids near cliffs. What's funny is that my fear of heights disappears in these situations replaced with a far worse fear of them falling.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:42 PM   #47
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm afraid of manageable heights.

You put me on a roof, or a balcony on a high rise or on top of a ladder where I can see myself smashing into the ground, I have problems.

But jumping out of an airplane for example where the ground looks like a toy model and I'm fine.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:40 AM   #48
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
1000 times this. Before kids, my wife and I were all "we'll never be like those helicopter parents out there". After our son was born it became "ok, yeah we need to be careful and stuff sure, but boys need to be boys".

Then he was diagnosed with a bleeding disorder at 7 months, and everything changed. Thankfully the treatment is straight forward if he bleeds, and we provide preventative treatments that works for a couple days before wearing off. Bleeding episodes so far have been every few months (bleeds longer, not easier or more profusely).

A few weeks ago he was shifting position in the tub, slipped a bit and busted his lip. Cut was too small for stitches but although we treated it, it bled a bunch for a few days and then off and on for another week...about 12 days total. I am still beating myself up for this.

But I am so worried that we might not catch something internal and not as obvious in time. Or something happens to my wife or I and we aren't able to explain to a first responder what to do since it is a rare condition that is rarely encountered.
That's a tough thing to have to deal with. This is coming from the perspective of a teacher who works with kids all day every day, and I imagine you're already doing this, but the more tools you give him to advocate for himself - to understand his ailment, what it means, how serious (or not) various situations are, and to have the words to describe his own needs is invaluable.

I see an immense difference between the kids who are comfortable with their ability to self-advocate and those who only understand "I can't do that" or "I'm unwell." Kids with significantly greater disabilities, but a clear understanding of their disability, are so much more confident in a gazillion different ways than kids with, say, a bee-sting allergy but no real understanding of what that means beyond "Mom says bees will kill me."

Last edited by driveway; 08-18-2017 at 12:46 AM.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #49
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

that fear of bananas thing is weird, so.....

Old 08-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #50
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Marriage and having to take care of other people.

It scares me more than anything.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #51
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
that fear of bananas thing is weird, so.....

You need the rest
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slacker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #52
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
As I turned around to help my daughter out of her snowsuit, I see her lose balance and suddenly tumble backwards down the stairs to the basement in slow motion. I'm pretty laid back, but I screamed loud - a mix of horror and the worst feeling of regret.

Fortunately, the stairs and basement were carpeted, and my daughter's snowsuit well padded. She was stunned and shaken, but not hurt - she didn't even cry. But I still feel chills when I think of that moment. Ugh.
One evening when my son was six, I could hear him playing outside our bedroom door and I jumped out to scare him. Then I saw with horror that he was hanging on to the railing at the top of the full flight of stairs. Shocked, he let his grip loosen, and fell all the way down the stairs backwards, his face staring up me. When he hit the bottom, the back of his head whacked into the corner of the cold-air intake, tearing his scalp. There was blood. And crying.

I couldn't help but feel partly responsible.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #53
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump and Religious fanatics make me very afraid.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #54
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will Cobalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #55
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oilers winning the cup. But this fear is as illogical as a shark attack or plane crash
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #56
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I in a small group of folks that don't let their kids gallivant around next to cliffs?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #57
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am scared of cancer.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #58
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I am scared of cancer.
Me too.
My anxiety about it started when I found a lump "down there" (check yourselves regularly). I'll never forget the moment where I felt a distinct lump.
Thankfully it turned out to be a cyst but since I've struggled to shake my fear over cancer.
Of course I feel like a dick because there are millions of people who actually have it so who am I to whine about being fearful of the mere possibility.
But it scares the #### out of me.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #59
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ai
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #60
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Am I in a small group of folks that don't let their kids gallivant around next to cliffs?
As we expose our kids to more and more outdoor activities it just sorta happens.

I wouldn't call it a fear exactly, but I've found my love of snowboarding has essentially vanished since having kids. I was having a spirited discussion with an Irishman a few years back about wearing helmets. He was arguing they detract from the experience while I was arguing that it's odd to not wear one considering you can't see it, and you're travelling at such a high rate of speed. Since that conversation all I can think about is how fast I go and what one bad moment can do to my body. As others have pointed out, once you're out of your 20s the body doesn't exactly spring back from injury anymore.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote