Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #261
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I hate both teams... But good on you guys for pissing those gutless Canucks off. I have zero respect for Vancouver. Pukes.

So good job!
Hating the Canucks: the one thing that unites Flames and Oilers fans.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #262
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluloc View Post
Why even bother going over there. Canuck fans are the worst of the worst and everyone knows this. The stupid is strong in canuck fans, sucks cause I have to live here.
Usually good discussion on league wide stuff when it doesn't include the Canucks. But as soon at it involves Vancouver the collective IQ of that place takes a nosedive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
The enemy of my enemy is my friend
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #263
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Hating the Canucks: the one thing that unites Flames and all other hockey fans.
Fixed your post.
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #264
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stignasty View Post
John Tortorella deserves suspension over outburst

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nucks/4648891/
I'm just going to quote this. I have watched the TSN, HNIC and SNET media reaction panels and they are all wrought with hyperbolic and ill informed reactions as to who is to blame and why.

Kevin Allen, in my opinion nails it. Hartley is not without blame, at the end of the day he could have started any other line. But Torts escalated it beyond what was really expected or called for.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #265
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will be interesting to see what kind of punishment torts gets
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #266
bluloc
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Usually good discussion on league wide stuff when it doesn't include the Canucks. But as soon at it involves Vancouver the collective IQ of that place takes a nosedive.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend
I hear ya. I spent the better part of an hour on fb last night arguing with some friends who are canuck fans. My 9 month old daughter makes more sense than some of these nucks fans, their just so dilusional and hypocritical.
bluloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #267
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
HA! PJ Stock just tweeted this:
Did Stock really just criticize other people's spelling in a Tweet where he uses "u" instead of "you"? I realize he's trying to fit in the character limit, but that's just absurd.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #268
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of uniting other fan bases against the Canucks...has that LA Kings twitter thing had anything to say? Just wondering considering the mayhem Sestito unleashed on his California adventure.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #269
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I heard on the post game radio that all the sports networks in the States are covering the brawl that went on in Vancouver. Seeing as how the NHL is trying to grow the sport Stateside, this will be a huge black mark. Given that I suspect Torts will be made an example by Bettman and will likely be given a 10 game suspension.

This did more to bring more people to the games in America, sorry but the majority of the fans here dont care about a 1-0 game, they want violence too.

just look at the UFC
Old 01-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #270
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Did Stock really just criticize other people's spelling in a Tweet where he uses "u" instead of "you"? I realize he's trying to fit in the character limit, but that's just absurd.
Yeah...I get his point, but doing that is just going to end up badly for him.

Though, if he's laughing at Canucks fans, this should keep him entertained for days.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #271
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

How to ignite a cross-border sports culture war

In response to the brawls and bravado on display during Saturday night's NHL game between the Calgary Flames and Vancouver Canucks, legendary baseball writer Peter Gammons took to twitter to say the brouhaha was the reason the NHL is a "minor sport." Cue the fireworks.

Peter Gammons @pgammoFollow
Calgary and Vancouver last night reiterated why the NHL is a minor sport

Erik Johnson @6ErikJohnson
Follow
@pgammo @Buccigross

Graham DeLaet @GrahamDeLaetFollow
@JayOnrait @pgammo seriously though, who is Peter Gammons? He has a puppy and flowers as his avatar.

Jay Onrait @JayOnraitFollow@GrahamDeLaet He is the Bob McKenzie of MLB I suppose. Bob Mac would never be so rude to insult baseball (might think it though)

Jonathan Toew$@19JToewsFollow
JUST IGNORE THE NHL LIKE YOU DID WITH PEDS IN BASEBALL. RT @pgammo: Calgary and Vancouver last night reiterated why the NHL is a minor sport

http://storify.com/CanadianPress/how...ts-culture-war
Old 01-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #272
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

hey cp - the local news webpage in kelowna has a poll .... "SHOULD TORTS GET AWAY WITH IT"

i think a little jihad is in order....

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news...11-.htm#106944
Old 01-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #273
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I'm just going to quote this. I have watched the TSN, HNIC and SNET media reaction panels and they are all wrought with hyperbolic and ill informed reactions as to who is to blame and why.

Kevin Allen, in my opinion nails it. Hartley is not without blame, at the end of the day he could have started any other line. But Torts escalated it beyond what was really expected or called for.
Say Hartley starts the Hudler line. After the first whistle, he sends out the 4th line. Tortorella sees McGratton et al. out there, and sends out his 4th line to match. A line brawl ensues, and 8 guys get kicked out. The only thing different, is it's 2 minutes into the game. Is this any different than having it happen off the opening faceoff? At one point, Hartley is sending out his 4th line to take a draw. It's hockey. You need to have all four lines out there. If Vancouver felt threatened by those guys, there are several options. If Torts is scared of it, that's his problem. Is Hartley not allowed to send out his line, or is it just on the opening faceoff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #274
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I refuse to take a fanbase seriously that uses the word courageous or tough in association with Kevin Bieksa, and cheers on a couple of dirt bags like Burrows or Kesler, or thinks that diving antics represents smart well coached hockey. Or has any sympathy for a goof like Seisito or however you spell his name.

don't rant that Torts wears his heart on his sleave he's a blustering bully and I hope that the league is finally sick of his garbage and gives him a long vacation.

Here's hoping the hockey gods have finally seen fit to end this period of the Canucks being semi competitive and returns them to their rightful place in the league basement where they belong.

the greatest thing would be That idiot GM of theirs bringing back their vintage V-neck atrocities as the franchise slowly crumbles while saying "Welcome Home Canuck Fans Welcome home"
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #275
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

CC: The Canucks belong in 10th place in the West. Doom them to a life of mediocre draft picks.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #276
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

The, hockey is a minor sport due to fighting etc... shtick is so lame and wrong. Doesn't matter whether you think fighting should be in the sport or not, or whether you think Torts sideshow was outragious or not, the fact of the matter is it has next to 0 impact to the long term or genuine appeal of the sport down south.

All fighting does for hockey in the States is the following:
- Some sports fans who aren't really into hockey get interested for a minor second when something crazy like this hits and grabs their attention - I guess this is good, but it's a pretty minor benefit to the game.

- Actually hockey fans don't change their opinion on the game and simply keep watching, whether they like it or not - indifferent eaction.

- Sports reporters who don't follow hockey, or don't like it already, use an incident like last night to "justify" or "explain" why they don't follow it or can't speak about it in an informed fashion. It represents a tangible reason for them to explain why they don't like the sport, because the actual reason is much harder to articulate.

Nothing more nothing less. Anyone who pretends fighting hurts the sport is out to lunch, and anyone who claims the sport couldn't make it with out it is equally missinformed.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #277
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
How is that absurd? Spelling "U" instead of "you" is not a spelling error. It is just trying to fit as many words in a tweet as possible. The Vancouver trash talking losers can't spell. Not sure how they are comparable.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckluck2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 11:56 PM   #278
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
How to ignite a cross-border sports culture war

Pssst! Post #238...
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:43 AM   #279
4oh3
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2014, 12:57 AM   #280
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I can't wait until Burke surrounds the core of Wesgarth, McGrattan, Bouma with some skilled players and young players. We are going to be a force to be reckoned with.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteLFan For This Useful Post: