Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2022, 01:06 PM   #2081
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Uggh...and they only surrendered one dog? A dog actually killing a human being isn't enough to have them euthanized?
Well hopefully now they have a taste for human blood they just gnaw off their owner's faces while they sleep.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:27 PM   #2082
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Omg, this is so sad. RIP to the victim and condolences to her family. An 83 year old woman was attacked and killed by her neighbour's dogs in Calgary this afternoon.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...calgary-police

What a horrific way to die.
The 911/AHS/CPS report has been released today. News article with a link to the downloadable pdf (159 pages, for me)

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/accelerat...eath-1.6237541

Quote:
A cascading series of factors — a communication breakdown between 911 and EMS, the inability to get through to emergency services and a lack of available ambulances — delayed medical help more than 30 minutes for a Calgary senior who had been attacked by dogs.
Second article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...hqca-1.6719368

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 01-19-2023 at 06:29 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:50 PM   #2083
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/auburn-ba...hurt-1.6785803

A Calgary man is recovering from several bites and bruises after he and his two dogs were attacked by two Pit Bull Terriers while out for a walk on Sunday night in the community of Auburn Bay

CTV News spoke to the wife of the man attacked who said he was able to protect his Australian Shepherd and Chihuahua and fight off dogs, but shortly after, another dog nearby, believed to be a Pomeranian, was attacked and killed.

Calgary police responded to the incident and seized two animals, who remain in the city’s custody while an investigation is completed by city bylaw officers.

According to Ryan Pleckaitis, community standards chief at the City of Calgary, the two Pit Bull Terriers escaped their yards shortly before the two attacks.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:12 PM   #2084
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why is it that idiot pitbull owners don't know how to build functioning fences or gates? And why are there always two pitbulls?
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 05:14 PM   #2085
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Why is it that idiot pitbull owners don't know how to build functioning fences or gates? And why are there always two pitbulls?
One for each missing testicle is my guess.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:20 AM   #2086
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
As someone whose neighbour had 3 Pitbulls I'll tell you exactly why:

Because you practically damned near can't.

My neighbour had a 5-foot-tall chainlink enclosure and if those bastards were motivated they could still jump it.

What are you going to do? Have a 10-foot fence around your property, top it with razor-wire? Get some guard towers and staff them with Germans?

1. Your neighbours would freak
2. It still might not work

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 08:14 AM   #2087
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
As someone whose neighbour had 3 Pitbulls I'll tell you exactly why:

Because you practically damned near can't.

My neighbour had a 5-foot-tall chainlink enclosure and if those bastards were motivated they could still jump it.

What are you going to do? Have a 10-foot fence around your property, top it with razor-wire? Get some guard towers and staff them with Germans?

1. Your neighbours would freak
2. It still might not work
If they can't be contained to the owner's property, then the breed should be banned, nevermind the countless people and animals they constantly attack. At this point it should be a no-brainer for the city council to do, but all they seem capable of is virtue signaling
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 08:19 AM   #2088
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If they can't be contained to the owner's property, then the breed should be banned, nevermind the countless people and animals they constantly attack. At this point it should be a no-brainer for the city council to do, but all they seem capable of is virtue signaling
Look...I think I've said it earlier in this thread, but having a neighbour with 3 Pitbulls drastically changed my opinion.

I used to believe in the mantra of 'No bad dogs, only bad owners' until my neighbour showed up.

He was one of the best, most experienced dog owners I've ever met, and he had those dogs trained extremely well, always walked them, controlled them, they were great!

If he was right there.

The moment he wasnt? They'd fight, attack, jump fences. They almost killed his girlfriend's dog when he wasnt right there to control them.

Yep. Well trained dogs from a good and responsible owner and yet still.

So...I'm off that train. I do not like Pitbulls.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 09:21 AM   #2089
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, it's always been a flawed argument. We have literally genetically selected pitbulls to be weapons. They act that way because they were selected to. We don't need these weapons in our society. Especially when you can own dogs who have been genetically selected to be the exact opposite. Golden retrievers for everyone!
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:48 AM   #2090
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
To me, it's always been a flawed argument. We have literally genetically selected pitbulls to be weapons. They act that way because they were selected to. We don't need these weapons in our society. Especially when you can own dogs who have been genetically selected to be the exact opposite. Golden retrievers for everyone!
They were called war dogs until they were relegated to fighting in pits. Send them all to Ukraine where they can be trained to attack anyone smelling of vodka.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 10:38 AM   #2091
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eff pitbulls! Ban the breed. Anyone who has one now can keep it but drastically increase their license fees.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:43 AM   #2092
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Pitbull owners are pure trash. There are no exceptions to that rock-solid rule.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 10:52 AM   #2093
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's the lack of bite release for pitbulls that has really made me come around on a breed ban for them.

I saw a video a while ago where a pitbull clamped down on some person's leg and bystanders kicked the hell out of that thing and it didn't release. It wasn't until one guy literally choked the thing until it was unconscious that they were finally able to free the person.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 10:54 AM   #2094
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
It's the lack of bite release for pitbulls that has really made me come around on a breed ban for them.

I saw a video a while ago where a pitbull clamped down on some person's leg and bystanders kicked the hell out of that thing and it didn't release. It wasn't until one guy literally choked the thing until it was unconscious that they were finally able to free the person.
That's good safety info to know. You may have a strong bite, but I have opposable thumbs!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:54 AM   #2095
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yup. Pitt Bull defenders will point to the fact that other dogs also bite, at perhaps at similar rates.
Which misses the point.
If a wiener dog attacks you, it can only do so much damage.
The level of damage a Pitt Bull can inflict is the issue.

It's dumb that people own this breeds in cities.
I lived next door to a scary one that I knew could hop the fence if he really wanted to. Basically meant that my daughter and I didn't use our back yard. Awesome.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 10:55 AM   #2096
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pitbull owners are pure trash. There are no exceptions to that rock-solid rule.
This is the thing. There are.

My neighbour was an awesome guy. He was an EMT, we'd have beers, BBQs, you name it. He was an awesome person and dog owner.

I just dont understand the fascination with Pitbulls.

Its like...my dad. My dad grew up on a farm and dogs were working animals.

So thats how he treated my dog. Despite the fact that as far as 'work' is concerned my dog is useless. He's a pet.

Yeah, I could take him to Dog 'Boot Camp' or whatever and train him to be like a military dog or a farm dog or whatever...but I dont want that. I'd like a pet, not a servant.

The problem with Pitbulls, in my opinion as I'm no expert, is that their base instincts are aggressive. When they're comfortable and happy and their owner is around...cool. No problems. Good owners right? But the second something damages their calm? They are bred for aggression.

And they are powerful.

Old 02-28-2024, 10:58 AM   #2097
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is an excellent point.

The first time my neighbour's Pitbill attacked me, it charged at me and I just charged back and kicked it in the face and it ran away.

My wife saw the whole thing, she asks "why did you kick it?"

I'm not a dog expert, but I do know that if that thing gets its jaws locked on you? Its game over.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 11:01 AM   #2098
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Instead of snake whacking day they should have pitbull bootfataing day. Russic can teach us how to do it.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:04 AM   #2099
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you need a plan that relies on you overpowering your dog should they attack someone, people shouldnt have those dogs.
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 11:08 AM   #2100
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This is an excellent point.

The first time my neighbour's Pitbill attacked me, it charged at me and I just charged back and kicked it in the face and it ran away.

My wife saw the whole thing, she asks "why did you kick it?"

I'm not a dog expert, but I do know that if that thing gets its jaws locked on you? Its game over.
Yeah there wouldn't have been subsequent times..........

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:

Tags
dog attack puppy barking