Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #161
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

You put him on waivers and you risk losing him - simple as that. No way Tre would do that, at least until he gets a sense at what Lazar looks like to start the season.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #162
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
You put him on waivers and you risk losing him - simple as that. No way Tre would do that, at least until he gets a sense at what Lazar looks like to start the season.
Yes, I addressed that and I agree the odds are low. But if you could theoretically sneak him down to Stockton, is it even worth it to do so from a development standpoint?

That is my question.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #163
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

They just protected him in the expansion draft - they aren't waiving him. Nor do I believe that he has anything to learn in the AHL.
And when your list of RWers is Freddie Hamilton, Hathaway and Chiasson that isn't a log-jam....it is a material weakness in the lineup.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #164
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Yes, I addressed that and I agree the odds are low. But if you could theoretically sneak him down to Stockton, is it even worth it to do so from a development standpoint?

That is my question.
No. But the answer must weigh other factors beyond simple development. The optics are bad, and the possibility to lose him on waivers is too high after having spent a second round pick to acquire him. It is highly debatable whether Lazar would benefit significantly from more AHL time, so to take such an unnecessary risk pretty much eliminates the possibility of your scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 04:39 PM   #165
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I ran into this idea elsewhere and wonder what CP collective thinks about this idea about Lazar. The idea essentially was this:

Send Lazar down to the AHL around pre-season roster shaving time (so most teams don't have room to claim him) and have him play a few months at C before calling him back up.

Could Lazar being snuck into the AHL even be plausible?

Pros:
- Gives Lazar plenty of playing time to develop more a centre rather than bottom 6 minutes at RW
- Helps repair certain aspects of Lazar's development due to him being rushed
- Reduces RW logjam of Brouwer/F Hamilton/Hathaway/Chiasson (if re-signed)
- Lazar has openly been called a project. Him with his draft peers in Stockton might not be a bad thing. All of them looking for redemption.
- More roster slots = more competitive camp?

Cons
- Waiving Lazar isn't completely without risk
- Optics are bad
- Does it affect Lazar's game negatively more than positively?
- Lazar may develop better around NHLers than AHLers.

Thoughts?
I would guess there is no way Lazar makes it through waivers. I would prefer Lazar as RW that can take draws when needed ala Jarome Iginla. I feel there are a couple better options at Center and not so many on the RW. Developing on the 4th line in the NHL for Lazar, I feel is way more advantageous than centering a line in the "A".
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #166
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
They just protected him in the expansion draft - they aren't waiving him. Nor do I believe that he has anything to learn in the AHL.
And when your list of RWers is Freddie Hamilton, Hathaway and Chiasson that isn't a log-jam....it is a material weakness in the lineup.
I forgot to mention Versteeg and Foo. But I think your comment is fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No. But the answer must weigh other factors beyond simple development. The optics are bad, and the possibility to lose him on waivers is too high after having spent a second round pick to acquire him. It is highly debatable whether Lazar would benefit significantly from more AHL time, so to take such an unnecessary risk pretty much eliminates the possibility of your scenario.
Fair comment and the answer I was wondering about. Risk>Reward is the consensus perception. Not worth it to try and sneak him down.

Gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I would guess there is no way Lazar makes it through waivers. I would prefer Lazar as RW that can take draws when needed ala Jarome Iginla. I feel there are a couple better options at Center and not so many on the RW. Developing on the 4th line in the NHL for Lazar, I feel is way more advantageous than centering a line in the "A".
Curious question. In your opinion, does Janko play in the A, or wing in the NHL? Stajan/Bennett needs to be moved to wing to accommodate another C. If Lazar is projected as C as per Burke, then he's part of a prospect centre development logjam.

Last edited by DoubleF; 07-26-2017 at 04:46 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #167
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Zero chance of that happening. They didn't trade a 2nd for him and protect him in the expansion draft to give him away for nothing on waivers
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #168
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lazar better come into camp and impress, because at this point in time I'm not sure he's any better a player than Klimchuk or Poirier and the only reason he's being held to that higher standard than them is because he was rushed to the NHL by the Senators.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #169
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Curious question. In your opinion, does Janko play in the A, or wing in the NHL? Stajan/Bennett needs to be moved to wing to accommodate another C. If Lazar is projected as C as per Burke, then he's part of a prospect centre development logjam.
If Janko plays in the NHL I feel he plays at center and you slide Stajan to the wing and keep both Janko and Bennett at their natural positions. Staj is a warrior and true team player. I have a feeling he is more than willing to allow for the younger guys to develop and for him to do whatever it takes for the Flames to win.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote