Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:
Icon39 Coyotes trade Louis Domingue to TB

http://www.cbc.ca/m/sports/hockey/nh...hton-1.4402163

Meanwhile in Mike Smith's old home ... Domingue to TB. Michael Leighton (didn't realize he was still playing) and Tye McGinn come back the other way.

This after the wonder GM Chayka picked up Scott Wedgewood from NJ a couple of weeks ago. (Of course he did as Wedgewood had a .957 sv% in 4 games for the Devils in 15-16, despite a .906 career sv% in the AHL). I have seen Wedgewood play, he looked decent. Hopefully a long stint on Chayka's gong show of a team doesn't break him.

Pretty tough of the CBC article to paint Domingue as struggling, as the Coyotes are a special kind of awful. On pace for 28 points and just made history by not winning a game in regulation of their first 20.

Louis Domingue must be very pleased with this trade.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much longer can the corsi clown show go on in Arizona?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #3
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I would wager that he's fired at the end of the season. You don't see GM's fired mid-season very often. Season is already over for that organization and it's not even US Thanksgiving. Brutal!
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #4
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

But Chayka is all about the numbers and the numbers don't lie!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
But Chayka is all about the numbers and the numbers don't lie!
They certainly don't. The numbers in the win/loss, points columns in the standings tell you all you need to know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How does Chayka have a job?

Do they know so little about hockey there that he's convinced them their record is good?
Are they so obsessed with golf in Phoenix that they think lower scores are better?
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:54 AM   #7
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraToraTora View Post
How does Chayka have a job?

Do they know so little about hockey there that he's convinced them their record is good?
Are they so obsessed with golf in Phoenix that they think lower scores are better?
Probably because they keep mistaking him for an usher and can't find him to fire him.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think his roster moves were even that bad. The team shouldn't be worse than 2016-17 Avalanche bad. It was his coaching hire that did it IMO.

So far Gulutzan appears to be a great assistant coach turned head coach. Tocchet is an example of a great assistant coach (who won a Cup! Zomg!) but completely in the opposite direction for head coach. Treliving did his due diligence, and Chayka did not.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #9
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
They're like 26 in the league in score adjusted corsi so... not sure what the f you're talking about. This comment would make far more sense applied to Carolina.

No one thought, when the Coyotes made the moves they did in the summer, that they were bad moves. They made sense. This isn't like Bergevin or Chiarelli GM'ing where you know the second they do something that it's idiotic. It simply has not worked. They're still a rebuilding team with young players in key roles, and they can't buy a save. You don't win many games when that's the case.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
They're like 26 in the league in score adjusted corsi so... not sure what the f you're talking about.
Isn't this more of a reason to fire an analytics based GM?
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #11
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have liked all of Chayka's moves, trading up to get Chycrun is probably his best. They are still a young rebuilding team so I wouldn't make any panic moves. I am surprised people expected so much improvement this year when they traded away their best performer to us in the off-season.

His biggest challenge will be what happens with OEL moving forward
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #12
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
It seems like Chayka made a mistake trading for Stepan as he assumed his team was further along than it really was, which seemed like an odd assessment from him. The best thing for the Coyotes would probably be another high draft pick.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:49 AM   #13
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard Chayka on the Craig Custance podcast a few weeks back. He sounds smart but also sounds like a walking leadership book reading. There is still something to be said experience. And also for not making trades every 2 weeks - hard for people to feel settled when you keep tinkering with the roster.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #14
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I guess it depends if he told his bosses, "Don't worry, by the beginning of the 2017-2018 season we'll be in a position to compete through puck possession". Assuming he's not a complete moron and didn't make that sort of prediction, then he should probably be judged on whether the trades, signings and draft work under his tenure - that is, his actual record as a GM - are defensible or not.

I mean, I get that it's a results-based league, that people only really care about wins at the end of the day and rightly so, and no one expected them to have results that are this bad. But did anyone have the Coyotes penciled in as a playoff team? If it's a rebuilding year, 2-15-3 isn't really any worse than, say, 7-10-3. You're not going anywhere either way, and at least the former yields better lottery odds.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 11-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #15
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess it depends if he told his bosses, "Don't worry, by the beginning of the 2017-2018 season we'll be in a position to compete through puck possession". Assuming he's not a complete moron and didn't make that sort of prediction, then he should probably be judged on whether the trades, signings and draft work under his tenure - that is, his actual record as a GM - are defensible or not.

I mean, I get that it's a results-based league, that people only really care about wins at the end of the day and rightly so, and no one expected them to have results that are this bad. But did anyone have the Coyotes penciled in as a playoff team? If it's a rebuilding year, 2-15-3 isn't really any worse than, say, 7-10-3. You're not going anywhere either way, and at least the former yields better lottery odds.
I don't have the numbers but I'd guess teams rarely go from god awful to a contender in one year. There's often a catch-up year where you start to look respectable. So if you're the Coyotes you are now looking at this year and at least next of no playoffs in a money losing market where playoff revenue is a huge deal.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #16
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The difference between 7-10-3 and 2-15-3 is that one team is at least somewhat competitive and the other so bad that there's no real reason for even hardcore fans to attend games. Technically they will be in the lottery with a good chance of first overall with either record but the optics are pretty bad as far as the business of selling tickets go.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #17
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ I agree with this. Even if you are committed to rebuilding, you still have to have some kind of balance, some investment in short term players that can give the fans something to cheer for in parallel to just watching the development of the prospects and young players. The way they moved on from Doan was quite inelegant, as there is really no replacement as face of the franchise, and say what you will about Doan but he had an identity.

I guess in some kind of defense of Chayka as a person, the Domingue trade may have been accommodating a request from Domingue, because it sure wasn't a result of targeting Leighton.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:22 PM   #18
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I don't have the numbers but I'd guess teams rarely go from god awful to a contender in one year.
Tell that to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Or the Devils, I guess, but I'm a bit less convinced on that front still. But the current league is such that transition from rebuild to contender is not what it used to be. Not that I'm saying the Coyotes are going to be really good next year - but I don't think they would be regardless of who the GM was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The difference between 7-10-3 and 2-15-3 is that one team is at least somewhat competitive and the other so bad that there's no real reason for even hardcore fans to attend games.
The real difference between those two records is that one is a mediocre team with passable goaltending, and the other is a mediocre team with abysmal goaltending. If the Coyotes' team save percentage improves, then things will get better for them, albeit not enough better for them to have a shot at the postseason. If it doesn't, well, it wouldn't really matter what they did, because they'd still be utterly screwed.

Moreover, of their fifteen losses, only three were "blowouts" - that is to say, losses by three or more goals, not counting empty netters. Their worst loss was 6-2, which is their only four goal loss of the season. It's not like they're getting totally destroyed game in and game out such that it's not even worth watching.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #19
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I love that they traded us Mike Smith !
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #20
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Well I love that they traded us Mike Smith !
And paying half his salary
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote