Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #621
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can't wait til the contract actually kicks in, and the roster looks like:

Lucic-McDavid-Draisaitl
Slepyshev-Caggiula-Pujujarvi
Khaira-?-Kassian
?-?-?
Sekera-Klefbom
Nurse-Larsson
Gryba-Russell

Talbot
?

and they have $20 million to fill those holes.
They have no depth after their top line, a weak D-Core, and 1 goalie that they have to pray can play 70+ games
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #622
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
agreed.

I think every team in the league would take McDavid on that contract, notwithstanding what is being run in this thread.
Of course they would. Every team would take him at $13.5M if they could, and they would do what it takes to make it happen.

Sure it's a ton of cap space, but he's going to be the leagues best player by some margin no doubt.

Edmonton may not be in the best position to take advantage of him, but they should be good enough to make the playoffs, more or less. After that, anything can happen when the margins are slim between teams and randomness will play a pretty big part in determining who actually wins the Stanley Cup.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #623
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Why are some assuming the cap is going to continue to go up? That is how bad GM's get into trouble (like Chiapet).
Realistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #624
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
agreed.

I think every team in the league would take McDavid on that contract, notwithstanding what is being run in this thread.
Typical killer_carlson post. Completely inaccurate.

I challenge you to show me a single poster who said they wouldn't take McDavid on that contract.

What is being discussed is the implications of that contract, along with the one Draisaitl is going to get, on Edmontons cap flexibility going forward.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #625
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberNine View Post
I tend to agree. The Oilers have a poor track record of drafting and developing players, including first overall picks. And I'm not sure if they have much in the pipeline. But what if McDavid was Flames' property? Would we be in a better position to absorb that contract and ice a long-term competitive team with our current roster of players, and prospects? (Assume for the sake of argument that we won the 2015 draft lottery, kept our pick, and as a result, didn't trade for Dougie).
What a weird question. Even if we could roll the clock back and make an educated guess as to how McDavid's addition to the Flames in 2015 would have played out, why would it matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:43 PM   #626
tko
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Crazy $$$ but oilers seem to have gotten a deal. Good job by Connor not to totally bend them over
tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #627
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tko View Post
Crazy $$$ but oilers seem to have gotten a deal. Good job by Connor not to totally bend them over
He is doing it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #628
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be interesting to see how the Greasers maneuver around with other players contracts year to year with this huge cap hit.
Draisatl is next.
I sure hope the NHL does not play favor to them and suddenly raises the cap each season more than the usual increases.

Last edited by Stay Golden; 07-05-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Stay Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:36 PM   #629
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
It will be interesting to see how the Greasers maneuver around with other players contracts year to year with this huge cap hit.
Draisatl is next.
I sure hope the NHL does not play favor to them and suddenly raises the cap each season more than the usual increases.
I think after 4 #1 picks the league owes Edmonton nothing. They deserve whatever happens, if you can't manage the cap then you don't deserve to be champions.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #630
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Sadly this is a win for the Oilers, this easily could have been a $14M x 5 or 6 year deal.

Hopefully they saved to money to make a awful deal with the side kick.
No, 14 x 5 was never in the cards. $12.5M is fair, the Oilers brass just did the 'throw out a worse number to make the real number look better' trick and peole are eating it up
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 06:19 PM   #631
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big win for the Oilers to get 8 years but still this is a huge contract with a cap hit $2M more than the next highest and with some of their other contracts they will be in cap hell for years to come.

They really need to win this year which will be tough considering they are a worse team than last season. I can't wait to see RNH traded for pennies on the dollar next season forcing Draisaitl away from McDavid to centre the 2nd line and then the extreme cap crunch the season after that when Talbot will require a huge raise.

The Oilers only hope is that some of their prospects turn out and they can fill out the roster with good cheap players. Not likely considering their prospect depth is incredibly thin and they have been complete failures drafting anyone outside the top 5.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #632
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verda13 View Post
If 12.5 for 97 is reasonable and and 7.5 for 29 is very reasonable, what are you getting at? That they didn't win the cup in their first full year together (before the contracts even kicked in?)

What would you or the wizard (BT) do?
Oh, theres no denying it, the Oilers screwed this up. You pay your players after they've won.

Pay them now and you have to tank for another low-priced superstar, but lets be fair, the Oilers may not have invented tanking but they certainly perfected it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:31 PM   #633
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh, theres no denying it, the Oilers screwed this up. You pay your players after they've won.

Pay them now and you have to tank for another low-priced superstar, but lets be fair, the Oilers may not have invented tanking but they certainly perfected it.
No one gets paid without a ring, let em walk!
verda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #634
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verda13 View Post
If 12.5 for 97 is reasonable and and 7.5 for 29 is very reasonable, what are you getting at? That they didn't win the cup in their first full year together (before the contracts even kicked in?)

What would you or the wizard (BT) do?

Given Treliving's recent history of re-signings and Charelli's recent history of cap imploding his teams it's an easy bet to say Treliving would've done better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
I hate the Oilers as much as any Flames fan, but any way you look at it this is a great signing. McDavid is worth every cent of whatever amount he signs for, and there isn't a team in the league who wouldn't have given him whatever it takes to sign.

I'll be the guy to say I'd rather have Gaudreau + Monahan over McDavid.

Monahan (27g/51p) + Gaudreau (18g/61p) = 45g/112p

McDavid = 30g/100p

Monahan+Gaudreau cap hit = 13.13 million
McDavid = 12.5 million

For this to be a good deal he's going to have to out-produce our 2 best players. 2 players who out-produced him last year despite both having off years (injuries, no training camp) and basically everything going right for McDavid.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #635
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
No, 14 x 5 was never in the cards. $12.5M is fair, the Oilers brass just did the 'throw out a worse number to make the real number look better' trick and peole are eating it up
Would he have been offer sheet eligible at the end of his current contract? If so, I think he probably could have gotten basically anyhing, as 14mm x 5 years would probably be worth it to someone...

If I was a GM I would absolutely take him for 5 firsts on this contract, and figure out the rest of it later.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #636
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Given Treliving's recent history of re-signings and Charelli's recent history of cap imploding his teams it's an easy bet to say Treliving would've done better.

I'll be the guy to say I'd rather have Gaudreau + Monahan over McDavid.

Monahan (27g/51p) + Gaudreau (18g/61p) = 45g/112p

McDavid = 30g/100p

Monahan+Gaudreau cap hit = 13.13 million
McDavid = 12.5 million

For this to be a good deal he's going to have to out-produce our 2 best players. 2 players who out-produced him last year despite both having off years (injuries, no training camp) and basically everything going right for McDavid.
There are plenty of examples of duos that score more then 87 or 97 at a lower cost. Would you trade them for Drai and Maroon? Also, what was McDavid's cap hit last year? (if you wanna compare apples to apples) who knows where any of them will be in the future.

Last edited by verda13; 07-05-2017 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Gould spuller
verda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #637
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is an extremely friendly contract. Absolute steal for the Oilers.

Might go down as one of the better contracts in NHL history, just like Crosby's current contract.
Props to McDavid for wanting to win. He's missing out on tens of millions though.

Hopefully Draisaitl can show him how real contract negotiations are done.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:46 PM   #638
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #639
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Props to McDavid for wanting to win. He's missing out on tens of millions
I don't know about tens of millions but agreed that he will be missing out on a lot of wins.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #640
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
He is doing it wrong.
I thought he was worse than Monahan?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post: