Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #1921
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading Kessel seems to defy logic. Why mess with a winning combination and IMO the guy made meaningful contributions both years.

But it's a very New England Patriot kind of approach. Never fall in love with your own players unless their name is Brady (or Crosby/Malkin) and better to cut bait a year too early than a year too late.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #1922
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Trading Kessel seems to defy logic. Why mess with a winning combination and IMO the guy made meaningful contributions both years.

But it's a very New England Patriot kind of approach. Never fall in love with your own players unless their name is Brady (or Crosby/Malkin) and better to cut bait a year too early than a year too late.
Malkin looked ready to murder him during this year's playoffs.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #1923
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Yeah, Malkin was making beautiful plays/passes but Phil couldn't bury them for a while there...
Old 07-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #1924
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just seen that Bollig signed with the Sharks

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
Old 07-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #1925
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Just seen that Bollig signed with the Sharks
Old 07-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #1926
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's Albertanglish. Glencross, Russell, flamesfan1297....we seen it before, we gon' seen it again
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2017, 10:53 PM   #1927
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
It's Albertanglish. Glencross, Russell, flamesfan1297....we seen it before, we gon' seen it again
Specially down at the auction mark.

Now quit jabbering and warsh those badehders so we can cook them.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:41 PM   #1928
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It looked like the feeling was mutual

Phil was 1st then 3rd in Pens playoff scoring for their two recent cups

They really don't win it without him
Old 07-13-2017, 11:48 PM   #1929
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Kessel and Russians just don't get along all thanks to Ovechkin.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:21 AM   #1930
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Well it was spelled out in the quote. Because he's a one-dimensional scoring winger who has average size, is non-physical and doesn't excel without the puck. If he's not scoring he's not helping. Almost 50% of his points came on the powerplay.

IMO this is the type of player that is most overrated in the NHL. A lot of fans love flashy scorers, the types of player that make the highlight reels. But unfortunately NHL forwards often get paid on points and one-dimensional scoring wingers are therefore usually overpaid in comparison to their value to the team.

It's why a lot of GM's talk about building through the middle. Emphasizing goaltending, defense and centres. Those are the most critical positions in hockey. Goal scoring wingers basically compliment your centres but they rarely drive the play themselves. Very few teams built around goal scoring wingers as their franchise player or most expensive player go anywhere. An elite centre can make a 20-30 goal scorer out of a variety of wingers (see Lemieux, Gretzky, Crosby, etc.) An elite goal scoring winger doesn't usually elevate the play of his linemates in the same way (see Iginla, Nash, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, etc). In fact they often depend somewhat on having a good playmaking centre to get them the puck. Wingers have less impact in your own zone because centres are relied on much more heavily for defensive assignments.

Kessel isn't looking like an elite goal scoring winger anymore. You'd think if he could get 40 in TOR he would easily repeat that on a team with Crosby and Malkin but he's failed to elevate his game playing on a team that has some of the best centres in the league. His cap hit means he should be one of the most important players on the team but his value to their team lags behind the goalie, the top 4 defense and the centres.

I'd say in short that the reason they're looking to move him is because they believe he's overpaid in comparison to his value to the team. And IMO that happens often with one-dimensional goal scoring wingers. Bet you every team in the league would rather have a Wayne Simmonds on his contract than Phil Kessel on his contract. You'd rather pay for an elite centre and then get them a nice complimentary power forward who can do the dirty work along the boards and in front of the net. There's danger in committing too much of the cap to one-dimensional goal scoring wingers.

And this is why you saw NJ buyout Cammalleri IMO.
I think we get your point of view on Kessel!
No offense intended at all; you're a good poster, but couldn't resist.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:02 AM   #1931
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #1932
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a big fan of the player due to him likely never being the player he could be due to his laziness and poor conditioning but I have to give the guy props for being pretty clutch in the playoffs. There's no doubting he's got incredible talent.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:20 PM   #1933
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not a big fan of the player due to him likely never being the player he could be due to his laziness and poor conditioning but I have to give the guy props for being pretty clutch in the playoffs. There's no doubting he's got incredible talent.
So how does a lazy player with poor conditioning perform like that in the playoffs? After the long grind of the season, it's usually only the most highly conditioned athletes that can continue to perform when the heat is turned up.

This is a guy who can crank it up in the playoffs. Sort of like Brouwer, except with actual hockey skills.

Edit: Also with the ability to actually perform in the playoffs for more than one year.

Last edited by Macindoc; 07-14-2017 at 11:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 12:03 AM   #1934
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
So how does a lazy player with poor conditioning perform like that in the playoffs? After the long grind of the season, it's usually only the most highly conditioned athletes that can continue to perform when the heat is turned up.

This is a guy who can crank it up in the playoffs. Sort of like Brouwer, except with actual hockey skills.

Edit: Also with the ability to actually perform in the playoffs for more than one year.
Playing with elite linemates, great team where he can get good matchups against weaker d.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:03 AM   #1935
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Soooo nothing like Brouwer then ....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2017, 12:17 AM   #1936
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Kind of makes sense in a way doesn't it?

Lets say most guys give 80-90% during the regular season and go up to 100% in the playoffs.

If you are a very talented play giving 75% or less in the regular season, you have more room to crank it up in the playoffs.

I see Getzlaf like this a bit. The guy is dangerous during the regular season, but he is just terrifying in the playoffs. Maybe it's just me, but I don't recall him ever physically dominating games in November.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #1937
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kevin Klein signed in Switzerland. I didn't think he fell that far out of the picture. I assume there is an NHL escape clause still.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #1938
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Kevin Klein signed in Switzerland. I didn't think he fell that far out of the picture. I assume there is an NHL escape clause still.
He retired from the NHL: https://www.nhl.com/news/kevin-klein...rs/c-290321048

If you want to put a tin foil cap circumvention hat on, he retired while $2.75 million in salary was still owed to him. Good bet he returns to the Rangers front office in some capacity in a couple of years ala Chris Drury.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #1939
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Kind of makes sense in a way doesn't it?

Lets say most guys give 80-90% during the regular season and go up to 100% in the playoffs.

If you are a very talented play giving 75% or less in the regular season, you have more room to crank it up in the playoffs.

I see Getzlaf like this a bit. The guy is dangerous during the regular season, but he is just terrifying in the playoffs. Maybe it's just me, but I don't recall him ever physically dominating games in November.
Unless you're McDavid, in which case you get worse during the playoffs. #saviour
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #1940
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Just heard this from a buddy of mine who knows the Pascall family. Apparently Treliving and Jagr have been talking for the past little while. Jagr wants upwards of $4 million.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread