Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #341
HELPNEEDED
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I know none of these will ever happen but what if:

1) Jarome Iginla for Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds
2) Jay Bouwmeester for Ryan Johansen
3) Mikka Kiprusoff for Michal Neuvirth and Marcus Johansson
4) Mike Cammalleri for Pittsburgh 1st 2013
5) Mark Giordano for Brendan Smith
5) Alex Tanguay+Chris Butler+John Gaudreau for Ryan O'Reilly
6) Tim Jackman and Blake Comeau for picks
7) Derek Smith and Curtis Glencross for Mike Green
8) Lee Stempniak for Steve Ott

Hudler-ROR-Simmonds
Baertschi-Schenn-Johansson
Ott-Backlund-Johansen
Cervenka-Horak-Aliu

Wideman-Brodie
Smith-Green
Sarich-Breen

Neuvirth
Ramo
You just created the same problems, a 3rd and 4th lines that are not traditional and lack grit, save OTT, a non physical D and a small first line.

Same team bro.
HELPNEEDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #342
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Snipe View Post
Personally, every player comes to a point in their career that they can't do it all anymore. Iggy is probably there now. He is not by any means washed up, but he needs another top player to keep feeding him the puck and getting him the puck in scoring areas. He can still be a big time player, just not on his own. He is also probably needing a change to thrive. Imagine him with Chicago or Pittsburg. He would be a 50 goal guy for sure.

Meaning, he needs to be traded to a contender, and in return we free up cap space, and get a pick or two and possibly a 2nd liner.
I really think that people will be pleasantly surprised by what the Flames can get for Iginla if or when he is traded. I suspect he is worth a 1st round pick, a top prospect who is probably a former first round pick who is on the verge of making the NHL plus a top six forward. The guy is still a top 20 goal scorer in the NHL, and on a good team with a good top line is probably still a top 10 goal scorer.

I know most fans think it is defeatist but I am actually excited to see what the Flames could get for Iginla, Kipper, Cammy and Tanguay at the deadline. Assuming Kipper is back soon and puts up some decent numbers, I do not think it is unreasonable to expect that the four of them could garner:

3 first round picks
2 NHL ready prospects
1 top six forward

In my ideal scenario, the Flames then take their 30 million in cap space in the offseason and sign:

Getzlaf - 7 million a year
Iginla - 4.5 million a year
Ray Emery - 3 million a year
Kari Ramo - 2 million a year
Roman Cervenka - 2 million a year
Mikael Backlund - 1.2 million a year
TJ Brodie - 2.2 million a year
Chris Butler - 2 million a year
David Clarkson - 4.8 million a year
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #343
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Those forwards you list outside Jokinen can thank the captain for the most productive seasons in their careers. Where are these rumours that Playfair was made fun of in te locker room?

People sure like to rag on Iggy for not getting more than 2 banners hanging in the dome but he along with Kipper are the main players that almost won this team a cup when they had little to no business being there. Iggy fighting every series, nearly single handily beating Vancouver in game 7, also engineering the game winning goal in game 5 of the SCF.

I can't believe it has come to the point where there is a section of the fan base that is basically trying to run the guy out of town. It is embarrassing to the fanbase
Or the Captain can thank some of these players on some of his most productive seasons with guys like Tanguay and Huselius. There is a rumour out there that Playfair was made fun of for playing one game in the NHL and his lack of skill to stick in the NHL. It's been posted by many people on here and its a common fact that Playfair did not get the respect that a coach should receive.

Once again, what else has he done for the fan base other than that one Cinderella run? No one is denying that he has been an excellent player but the results have not been there other than that one season. Also it was more than Iggy and Kipper, it was the entire team giving it everything they had 110%. That heart and determination hasn't been seen by a Flames team for over 5-6 seasons now as we have become a soft team.

No one is running him out, people just want a change and the Flames are an organization and a business. You can't keep liabilities in the organization when you know it can net you profit and that's all what it is. People just want a change as the only constants have been Iggy and Kipper over the past several years and that has gotten us no where.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #344
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELPNEEDED View Post
You just created the same problems, a 3rd and 4th lines that are not traditional and lack grit, save OTT, a non physical D and a small first line.

Same team bro.
This team isn't a contending team, it is one that is rebuilding/re-tooling.

imo Ott and Aliu by themselves would generate more grit and physicality on this team than the entire bottom six we have right now. In the off-season, we can look for those physical guys and build a proper team with proper roles.

As for that small first line, Simmonds is 6.2 and ROR is 6.0 while both of those players are known to play a very physical game.

Although I do agree with you as the team I proposed is not the most physical team, it is one that that might just be more physical than what we have right now, overall. That is saying something as most players on that team are rookies/sophomores.

Last edited by keenan87; 02-23-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #345
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischy13 View Post
Are you kidding. How many NHLers do you know on a personal level? I know a couple, and they have put hockey as #1 in their life ahead of family because that's what it took for commitment to get there. Anyone playing, on some level leave their families behind for half the season because that's what's required to be an NHL player. There are few that don't go to the WC at the end of the year. Iginla being one of those few. If your serious about winning, being the best you can, you should be going if invited. Again, if Iggy stays here in the offseason if he's not traded, he clearly doesn't want to win because the Flames will not be winning the cup with him before he retires. If I own the Flames, I don't want that attitude on my team. I'm not saying this is what Iggy will choose, but if he does, that's my take on it, and the owners and management should be taking that into consideration. That will rub off on e youngsters and the Flames will be spinning their wheels for years to come.
How come he can't be serious about winning and still turn the invite down? What is wrong With someone choosing to be with there family after the season is over? Like you said they give up most of their family time during the season.
And even if he does re-sign that really doesn't prove he does not want to win, it could mean that he thinks he can win in Calgary. So no it does not clearly mean he does not want to win.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #346
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those forwards you list outside Jokinen can thank the captain for the most productive seasons in their careers. Where are these rumours that Playfair was made fun of in te locker room?

People sure like to rag on Iggy for not getting more than 2 banners hanging in the dome but he along with Kipper are the main players that almost won this team a cup when they had little to no business being there. Iggy fighting every series, nearly single handily beating Vancouver in game 7, also engineering the game winning goal in game 5 of the SCF.

I can't believe it has come to the point where there is a section of the fan base that is basically trying to run the guy out of town. It is embarrassing to the fanbase
It's just as embarrassing that some of the fanbase want to keep him out of sentiment rather than whats best for the team.

If Iggy stays and remains captain he better bring it every night and not sit back because of past accomplishments or because the talent level is not up to snuff.

Iggy is my favourite player in the NHL, but the crest in front of the jersey is more important than any player playing or that has played for the flames.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #347
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
This team isn't a contending team, it is one that is rebuilding/re-tooling.

imo Ott and Aliu by themselves would generate more grit and physicality on this team than the entire bottom six we have right now. In the off-season, we can look for those physical guys and build a proper team with proper roles.

As for that small first line, Simmonds is 6.2 and ROR is 6.0 while both of those players are known to play a very physical game.
You will have to give up more than Stempniak for Ott.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #348
minnow
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Iginla always thanks the people he's had around him, at the appropriate times. He's helped those people get higher contracts than they've ever had or will ever receive again. The Flames needed to get more quality people playing with Iggy, not just serviceable. But they didn't. alas. ... only 30 plus goals for all those years.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #349
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or the Captain can thank some of these players on some of his most productive seasons with guys like Tanguay and Huselius. There is a rumour out there that Playfair was made fun of for playing one game in the NHL and his lack of skill to stick in the NHL. It's been posted by many people on here and its a common fact that Playfair did not get the respect that a coach should receive.

Once again, what else has he done for the fan base other than that one Cinderella run? No one is denying that he has been an excellent player but the results have not been there other than that one season. Also it was more than Iggy and Kipper, it was the entire team giving it everything they had 110%. That heart and determination hasn't been seen by a Flames team for over 5-6 seasons now as we have become a soft team.

No one is running him out, people just want a change and the Flames are an organization and a business. You can't keep liabilities in the organization when you know it can net you profit and that's all what it is. People just want a change as the only constants have been Iggy and Kipper over the past several years and that has gotten us no where.
I am all for moving Iggy it is time but the dis-respect he has received on this forum from some is ridiculous. What has he done other than a Cinderella run? Your expectations for one player are so out do whack. Iggy has scored 500+'goals and is approaching 1200pts. He has been the face of this team for 15 years and has put the flames on the NHL map his whole career. He has been an embassador to this city and to a lesser extent the entire league. Respected league wide even by Canucks and oilers fans. 2 time rocket Richard winner 2 time hart trophy nominee. Winner of Mark Messier leadership award. He has been chief recruiter whenever Sutter/Feaster has asked him when signing a player. Bertuzzi signed here stating the chance to play with Iggy was his main reason. Wideman mentioned being called by Iggy prior to deciding to sign here.

Most of all when others have left calgary he has stayed and has been loyal to the city and fans and you ask what he has done other than nearly win a cup?

If Playfair is such a good coach why is he still only an assistant 6 years later?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #350
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
It's just as embarrassing that some of the fanbase want to keep him out of sentiment rather than whats best for the team.

If Iggy stays and remains captain he better bring it every night and not sit back because of past accomplishments or because the talent level is not up to snuff.

Iggy is my favourite player in the NHL, but the crest in front of the jersey is more important than any player playing or that has played for the flames.
There is a difference in being okay with trading him and blaming him for the position the team and questioning his leadership and saying he is the problem with this team Mathis thread is more about bashing him than saying it is time to trade him. I really think and hope he is moved this season but I am not going to hate on him like others are and have been for sometime
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #351
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am all for moving Iggy it is time but the dis-respect he has received on this forum from some is ridiculous. What has he done other than a Cinderella run? Your expectations for one player are so out do whack. Iggy has scored 500+'goals and is approaching 1200pts. He has been the face of this team for 15 years and has put the flames on the NHL map his whole career. He has been an embassador to this city and to a lesser extent the entire league. Respected league wide even by Canucks and oilers fans. 2 time rocket Richard winner 2 time hart trophy nominee. Winner of Mark Messier leadership award. He has been chief recruiter whenever Sutter/Feaster has asked him when signing a player. Bertuzzi signed here stating the chance to play with Iggy was his main reason. Wideman mentioned being called by Iggy prior to deciding to sign here.

Most of all when others have left calgary he has stayed and has been loyal to the city and fans and you ask what he has done other than nearly win a cup?

If Playfair is such a good coach why is he still only an assistant 6 years later?
Those are great accomplishments and I agree he is a very special player. However, once again the team hasn't had the results from all of these great accomplishments. i am a Calgary Flames fan, Iggy is amazing, but I am not emotionally attached to him like many on here (at this point). As a Calgary Flames fan, he has consistently taken the first months off and has been very inconsistent throughout the season. Good players play for the entire season and rack up points on a constant basis rather than having an "Iginla March" and putting up 25 points in 10 games. Over the past several years, we have lost a lot of games that could be pointed out to the fact that our best player and captain was simply not a factor. Three years of missed playoffs can be somewhat attributed to this factor as the two points in game one mean the exact same thing as two points in game 82.

Once again, he has been a very special player to watch over the years and I respect him a lot. A very good player and a human and of course he has been great to the city of Calgary as well the league all around him.

He signed a five year 7.0 million dollars a year contract (one of the highest at the time) so I am not sure what the whole thing is about him not leaving. Management basically gives him a free pass here, he is the captain and his family is here. Who other than Phaneuf (just rumours) has actually asked for a trade in the past few years? Tanguay is the only one who comes to mind and he at that time wasn't even really a core member of the team.

Playfair is an Associate coach for one of the teams that has made the playoffs in the past couple of seasons (after he went there) who have no business being anywhere better than 12-13th in the conference every season. Tippet and Playfair are a good team that have shown positive results.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #352
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
There is a difference in being okay with trading him and blaming him for the position the team and questioning his leadership and saying he is the problem with this team Mathis thread is more about bashing him than saying it is time to trade him. I really think and hope he is moved this season but I am not going to hate on him like others are and have been for sometime
Do you think saying that he is a great player but not a great leader is hating on him?
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyBeers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #353
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
Do you think saying that he is a great player but not a great leader is hating on him?
I agree with this.

How can you prove that he has been a great leader?
Old 02-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #354
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree with you some pf the posters have given him disrespect, and should get a 5 minute major for it. I do however get mad when Iggy is criticised that the posters giving the criticism are labelled "Iggy haters". I am sure most on cp labell me an "Iggy hater" when that is the farthest thing from the truth.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #355
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with this.

There is obviously no way to prove he is or isn't. The fact that Iginla has been a leader and won everything he's ever played for minus the Stanley cup, goes a little to saying he is a good leader.

I hope Iginla gets traded soon though, the way this fan base has seemingly turned on one of the few stars this team has had in almost two decades is a little disappointing.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #356
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with this.

At 33-34 he lead a team that many said was a bottom feeder to 90+ pt seasons. He has been the only legitimate first line talent on this team past his prime and he and Kipper keep this team competitive

Teammates still praise him. Is he a great leader? Probably not. Is he a terrible leader? Absolutely not
Old 02-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #357
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At 33-34 he lead a team that many said was a bottom feeder to 90+ pt seasons. He has been the only legitimate first line talent on this team past his prime and he and Kipper keep this team competitive

Teammates still praise him. Is he a great leader? Probably not. Is he a terrible leader? Absolutely not
I agree with that and respect your point of view.

To be honest, I love Iggy and think he is amazing. However, I am just getting a little tired with such an attachment for the guy that I am starting to dislike him. As you may have noticed, I want him gone ASAP, not because he isn't a great player (I wouldn't ask for Schenn and Simmonds) but because I think it's time for him to go.

I know a lot of you are getting tired with the "Iggy Haters", but really, I am getting a little annoyed with all of this Iggy love.
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #358
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
am getting a little annoyed with all of this Iggy love.
I hate Flames fans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #359
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
There is obviously no way to prove he is or isn't. The fact that Iginla has been a leader and won everything he's ever played for minus the Stanley cup, goes a little to saying he is a good leader.

I hope Iginla gets traded soon though, the way this fan base has seemingly turned on one of the few stars this team has had in almost two decades is a little disappointing.
He has won a World Junior where he was a major contributing player and an Olympic gold (twice) where he was a major contributing player, but the Memorial Cups are a little overblown. The first one he was a 3rd or 4th liner who was not a major contributor to the team and even the second one there were much larger contributors on that team (Tucker, Doan, Domenichelli, even Tyson Nash). Neither of those two teams for what it is worth were really his teams.

The argument that he won everywhere works a bit better with a Scott Neidermayer who was a major contributor on all the teams that he won with.

Either way I see him as a great player and an average leader.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #360
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
He has won a World Junior where he was a major contributing player and an Olympic gold (twice) where he was a major contributing player, but the Memorial Cups are a little overblown. The first one he was a 3rd or 4th liner who was not a major contributor to the team and even the second one there were much larger contributors on that team (Tucker, Doan, Domenichelli, even Tyson Nash). Neither of those two teams for what it is worth were really his teams.
Oh okay, they're overblown.

Yup, I hate Flames fans.