Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #321
FAN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
If staying in Calgary for family reasons over winning the cup was the way the Iginla familly thought, Iggy would have already re-signed. He is not going to drop a bomb shell on his family near the trade deadline or after the season.

He has not re-signed so far because he is not sure Calgary has a chance of winning. His family more than likely knows about his decision and supports him.

If Iggy for some reason does re-sign, it's because he truley believes this team has a shot at winning. I do think that Iggy believes that if any team makes the playoffs they have a shot. He has said as much in interviews.
I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Iginla's wife may very well have told Iginla that her preference is to stay in Calgary but would support Iginla in any decision he makes. So Iginla knows what his wife wants but is comforted with the fact that the decision is his. There's also a strong possibility that Iginla wants to see whether the moves Feaster made in the offseason would translate into the team making the playoffs and whether the team will rebuild if the Flames miss the playoffs again.

Iginla has strongly hinted that he may not be interested in re-signing with the Flames if the Flames are to undergo a full rebuild. So while Iginla may not re-sign with the Flames if the Flames have NO CHANCE of winning, he may very well re-sign with the Flames knowing that the chance of winning the Cup is very slight compared to other teams that are interested in him.

Some posters seem to think that making a decision based on family preferences automatically precludes winning. It's usually not that black or white.
FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #322
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Makes a person wonder if Phaneuf tried to be that guy, and ended up being shipped out as a result of his "bad attitude".
Ken King pretty much confirmed this in the offseason after the trade.

The rumours had already been swirling since the chicago series
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #323
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well, Phaneuf's shining leadership has paid off in spades in Toronto.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #324
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Well, Phaneuf's shining leadership has paid off in spades in Toronto.
I wonder who will make the playoffs first, the Laughs look pretty good so far this year.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #325
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
I wonder who will make the playoffs first, the Laughs look pretty good so far this year.
That is irrelevant. Leafs make the playoffs this year and Phanuef is a better captain than Iginla? Give me a break
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #326
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
That is irrelevant. Leafs make the playoffs this year and Phanuef is a better captain than Iginla? Give me a break
How does one determine who is a better captain then, playoffs do not matter when the team around you is crappy, winning playoff rounds do not matter when the team around you is good, what is the criteria for a good captain?
Old 02-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #327
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
It's just getting really hard to believe that with the amount of changes we've seen over the years and still the same dismal result, the one constant is not part of the problem.

People need to stop with the emotional attachment to Iginla and think logically.
Drafting and developing talent is the Flames fundamental problem. That has been the biggest constant for this team.

Iginla has helped this team win more than it should have.

Like I said, pretty much a classic case of scapegoating happening in Calgary right now. Not unlike Vancouver fans turning on Luongo.

When our next captain is more like Todd Simpson than Iginla then tell me how you feel about it.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #328
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Drafting and developing talent is the Flames fundamental problem. That has been the biggest constant for this team.

Like I said, pretty much a classic case of scapegoating happening in Calgary right now. Not unlike Vancouver fans turning on Luongo.

When our next captain is more like Todd Simpson than Iginla then tell me how you feel about it.
Really at the end of the day, Iggy has gotten us out of the first round once as a captain thanks to Kipper?

Sure, you can have multiple 100 point seasons but the end result is winning a cup.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #329
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Really at the end of the day, Iggy has gotten us out of the first round once as a captain thanks to Kipper?

Sure, you can have multiple 100 point seasons but the end result is winning a cup.
Really, Iggy can't be the only guy on the team in order to do that. How hard is that to understand? You guys talk as if Iginla was supposed to strap the entire team on his back and lead them to numerous cups (he almost did do it one time). That doesn't happen, I don't care who the supposed "leader" is. They need a great team around them.

Show me how many Stanley Cup winners in the past 15 years had 1 star player.

The notion that Iginla is solely responsible for the team's lack of success is outlandish.

As I said, if the Flames as an organization had even a mediocre draft record things may have been different.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #330
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Is there anyone who denies that Iginla is a great player? Brett Hull helped his teams win more than they should have, yet nobody says that Brett Hull is a great leader, they say he is a great player. Jarome Iginla is definitely a great player, there is no denying that.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #331
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Really, Iggy can't be the only guy on the team in order to do that. How hard is that to understand? You guys talk as if Iginla was supposed to strap the entire team on his back and lead them to numerous cups (he almost did do it one time). That doesn't happen, I don't care who the supposed "leader" is. They need a great team around them.

The notion that Iginla is solely responsible for the team's lack of success is outlandish.

As I said, if the Flames as an organization had even a mediocre draft record things may have been different.
2006 Carolina Hurricanes
Old 02-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #332
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I understand what you are saying and I respect your point of view. I agree that maybe we haven't had another superstar on the team (one can argue Kipper), however, the team has had some very good players at times.

Remember the times when we were contenders at the start of the season 3-4 teams in the past 6-7 years? The likes of Regehr, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Tanguay, Jokinen, Huselius, Cammalleri Langkow were not garbage players.

Now if you are going to say that some were good while others weren't, well then what is the job of a captain? If he couldn't get everyone on the same page and rally the guys together, well that to me states that he wasn't a very good captain.

If you say it is the job of the coach to have everyone on the same page, well rumours that Jim Playfair was made fun of in the locker room suggest to me that Iginla let them slide and therefore, isn't a very coachable player.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #333
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I understand what you are saying and I respect your point of view. I agree that maybe we haven't had another superstar on the team (one can argue Kipper), however, the team has had some very good players at times.

Remember the times when we were contenders at the start of the season 3-4 teams in the past 6-7 years? The likes of Regehr, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, Tanguay, Jokinen, Huselius, Cammalleri Langkow were not garbage players.

Now if you are going to say that some were good while others weren't, well then what is the job of a captain? If he couldn't get everyone on the same page and rally the guys together, well that to me states that he wasn't a very good captain.

If you say it is the job of the coach to have everyone on the same page, well rumours that Jim Playfair was made fun of in the locker room suggest to me that Iginla let them slide and therefore, isn't a very coachable player.
We had some pretty solid teams that for one reason or another didn't go as far as they should have. I wouldn't say that is Iginla's fault. I would still argue that Iginla hasn't had the true blue chip support that this team needed in order to get over the hump.

I'll just ask this question. If Gelinas goal in 2004 Finals game six had counted, and the Flames won the cup, are we having a different conversation? Is Iginla then considered a great captain, because we won it all?

There are a lot of variables between winning and losing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #334
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAN View Post
I think you're very naive if you think that a strong majority of NHL hockey players today have the mindset that winning is first and foremost.
Are you kidding. How many NHLers do you know on a personal level? I know a couple, and they have put hockey as #1 in their life ahead of family because that's what it took for commitment to get there. Anyone playing, on some level leave their families behind for half the season because that's what's required to be an NHL player. There are few that don't go to the WC at the end of the year. Iginla being one of those few. If your serious about winning, being the best you can, you should be going if invited. Again, if Iggy stays here in the offseason if he's not traded, he clearly doesn't want to win because the Flames will not be winning the cup with him before he retires. If I own the Flames, I don't want that attitude on my team. I'm not saying this is what Iggy will choose, but if he does, that's my take on it, and the owners and management should be taking that into consideration. That will rub off on e youngsters and the Flames will be spinning their wheels for years to come.
Fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #335
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We had some pretty solid teams that for one reason or another didn't go as far as they should have. I wouldn't say that is Iginla's fault. I would still argue that Iginla hasn't had the true blue chip support that this team needed in order to get over the hump.

I'll just ask this question. If Gelinas goal in 2004 Finals game six had counted, and the Flames won the cup, are we having a different conversation? Is Iginla then considered a great captain, because we won it all?

There are a lot of variables between winning and losing.

Do i care if he was a great captain back in 2004?

My issue is, is Iggy a god captain for this team now and going forward? My answer is no. It's been noted that he does not say much in the dressing room. He leads by example and right now he is not doing that, and has not for a couple of years. If he wants to remain captain he needs to give 100% every night no matter what level of skill is on the team.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #336
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Do i care if he was a great captain back in 2004?

My issue is, is Iggy a god captain for this team now and going forward? My answer is no. It's been noted that he does not say much in the dressing room. He leads by example and right now he is not doing that, and has not for a couple of years. If he wants to remain captain he needs to give 100% every night no matter what level of skill is on the team.

Ok who should be the Flames captain then? Jackman? He gives her out there buddy

There is a reason why the guy has been Captain for 10+ years.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iggy Snipe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #337
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

Personally, every player comes to a point in their career that they can't do it all anymore. Iggy is probably there now. He is not by any means washed up, but he needs another top player to keep feeding him the puck and getting him the puck in scoring areas. He can still be a big time player, just not on his own. He is also probably needing a change to thrive. Imagine him with Chicago or Pittsburg. He would be a 50 goal guy for sure.

Meaning, he needs to be traded to a contender, and in return we free up cap space, and get a pick or two and possibly a 2nd liner.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #338
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Those forwards you list outside Jokinen can thank the captain for the most productive seasons in their careers. Where are these rumours that Playfair was made fun of in te locker room?

People sure like to rag on Iggy for not getting more than 2 banners hanging in the dome but he along with Kipper are the main players that almost won this team a cup when they had little to no business being there. Iggy fighting every series, nearly single handily beating Vancouver in game 7, also engineering the game winning goal in game 5 of the SCF.

I can't believe it has come to the point where there is a section of the fan base that is basically trying to run the guy out of town. It is embarrassing to the fanbase
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #339
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Snipe View Post
Ok who should be the Flames captain then? Jackman? He gives her out there buddy

There is a reason why the guy has been Captain for 10+ years.

As i have said before if Iggy is traded they should not name a new captain until someone steps up.

As far as i am concerened this team has not had a "real captain" for the last year and a half. Not sure why the need for a "C" on the team if thats the best they can do.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #340
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know none of these will ever happen but what if:

1) Jarome Iginla for Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds
2) Jay Bouwmeester for Ryan Johansen
3) Mikka Kiprusoff for Michal Neuvirth and Marcus Johansson
4) Mike Cammalleri for Pittsburgh 1st 2013
5) Mark Giordano for Brendan Smith
5) Alex Tanguay+Chris Butler+John Gaudreau for Ryan O'Reilly