Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2019, 01:57 PM   #2321
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Much better...

LOL. Potatochopped.

I can tell by the pixels.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 06:52 PM   #2322
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

K so I’m shopping for all my hardware for the new deck.

I ask the associate at Lowe’s what nails I need to buy for joist hangers and the various other hardware needed.

He says I should just use deck screws and that “everyone” just uses deck screws.

Will I pass code if I use screws instead of nails?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:28 PM   #2323
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

I ask the associate at Lowe’s what nails I need to buy for joist hangers and the various other hardware needed.

He says I should just use deck screws and that “everyone” just uses deck screws.

Hoist hangers require nails meant for that purpose.

They should be close to the hangers, they are short and fat.

Deck screws aren’t engineered for sheer strength.

Deck screws also aren’t galvanized

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 07-26-2019 at 07:32 PM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 07:40 PM   #2324
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My mom just did this in her basement and used a piece of trim to complete the look. It looks great.

Jesus man, what did you take those pictures with? A toaster?
Old 07-26-2019, 07:46 PM   #2325
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No, not whatsoever. Buy the appropriate nails. And then do this the next time you see that guy.

V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 08:36 PM   #2326
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Never ask an associate at a big box hardware store for advice.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 07-26-2019 at 08:40 PM.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #2327
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Never ask an associate at a big box hardware store for advice.

Truth be told I only asked him WHERE the nails were for hangers, not really advice. He went off about screws.

Thanks for the replies fellas, appreciated as always.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:07 PM   #2328
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I'm looking for some input as to whether we are out to lunch or not in thinking this paint job is crap.

Back story: Our house was a rental before we bought it, so the painting leaves a lot to be desired. There is runs, bad patching, etc. We re-did our sons rooms, our bathrooms, and our kitchen but just lived with the rest of it as we didn't want to tackle the big areas and a lot of of it was covered by furniture/artwork/etc. When we re-did the rooms we did, we put in serious effort to ensure we smoothed out all the bad stuff from previous painting and the result was great.

That brings us to a couple weeks ago when we contacted a painter that family members had used earlier in the year and were very happy with their work. We saw the paint job and agree, it was good work - clean, no lines, no border issues, etc. So we brought them in to give us a quote on our remaining rooms and explained very clearly that the walls were in bad shape and showed them many examples. They assured us they could take care of it, no problems. We agreed to hire them and set a date.

Well now, post job completion, we are not impressed at all. I've uploaded an album of examples of issues to dropbox and will link below. We've already had them back out once to fix problems, but even some of the areas they "fixed" are not great. One wall we asked them to fix a couple areas on now has paint lines on it from what looks to be a rushed job. I should also add that they originally said they'd be 3 days and finished in less than two. Makes me wonder if they rushed through and as a result the work shows that.

Anyways, I'd love some feedback on the pictures and let me know if we need to cool our jets or are right in thinking that we should expect better from professionals. Note; I took these with my phone quickly so some of the photos aren't great.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jacjcg1nd...XYkJMy-ma?dl=0
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:48 PM   #2329
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those seem like pretty small defects and honestly, decently easy fixes if you wanted to try spot correcting them yourself (but honestly, those are small things you'll soon forget about once takes over and you're not obsessing about them).

Some of them look like they could have been fixed, but some might have required a decent amount of work (ie mudding and feathering it out). But even then, mudding or sanding down areas is still going to create differences in texture since the rest of the wall has a few coats of the "orange peel" effect, while any patched or sanded areas don't.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:20 PM   #2330
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curious why if you do a deck less than 2ft in height you can get away with pier blocks and posts, but if it’s 26 inches high, the piles need to be 4ft deep. Like could you get away with piles that are 1ft deep or 2ft??
Old 07-27-2019, 09:33 PM   #2331
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Curious why if you do a deck less than 2ft in height you can get away with pier blocks and posts, but if it’s 26 inches high, the piles need to be 4ft deep. Like could you get away with piles that are 1ft deep or 2ft??
Because once you go into the ground at all you want to be below the frost line at four feet to avoid frost heave.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #2332
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's been a lot of break ins in Cranston lately, even with the people alleged responsible behind bars (and that's assuming they were the ones who did them all) I felt good about buying some new LED bulbs for the outside of my house. On the front I got some philips dusk to dawn LED's, and in the back some company I've never heard of radar motion detecting bulbs. I don't want to have my backyard lights blaring and keeping my neighbours awake, so I wanted to go with motion sensing in the back.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #2333
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
There's been a lot of break ins in Cranston lately, even with the people alleged responsible behind bars (and that's assuming they were the ones who did them all) I felt good about buying some new LED bulbs for the outside of my house. On the front I got some philips dusk to dawn LED's, and in the back some company I've never heard of radar motion detecting bulbs. I don't want to have my backyard lights blaring and keeping my neighbours awake, so I wanted to go with motion sensing in the back.
I'm in Cranston and just replaced my exterior lights as well, for the exact same reason. I put in a smart switch that turns on and off with sunrise.set. I also put a smart lock with a keypad on the door leading to the garage so it gets locked more often.

My thinking on the backyard flood is the opposite. My neighbours and I all look out for each other so the floodlight is sort of the "hey, take a quick look over the fence" alarm. You have to play with the sensitivity so it's not always going off though.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #2334
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I meant is that I didn't want my backyard to be on all the time at night with Dusk to Dawn bulbs. I have them on motion sensors.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:56 AM   #2335
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My mom just did this in her basement and used a piece of trim to complete the look. It looks great.

I like that trim much better than 1/4 round. Nice, clean look - maybe a door stop moulding?
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 07:35 AM   #2336
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I'm in Cranston and just replaced my exterior lights as well, for the exact same reason. I put in a smart switch that turns on and off with sunrise.set. I also put a smart lock with a keypad on the door leading to the garage so it gets locked more often.

My thinking on the backyard flood is the opposite. My neighbours and I all look out for each other so the floodlight is sort of the "hey, take a quick look over the fence" alarm. You have to play with the sensitivity so it's not always going off though.
Ok this thread is officially derailed as the Cranston meetup thread. I live there too.

You might want to also consider surveillance cameras, I have them on my house and will be upgrading them with much better quality night cameras. I had a break in in my car (nothing taken). I caught it on my camera but the quality at 3 am with the IR cut filter on (black and white image) was not great for identification etc. So I am installing a night color camera.

I am doing this in part for home security, but also as a demo tool for clients.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #2337
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Solve a mystery for me...I ride past a place under construction. They cleared out the space for the garage, excavated deep, poured ~8 foot walls, then put in a bunch of columns. So I thought maybe it was space under the garage for whatever. Weird, but rich people do weird things. I road past this morning and it has been entirely filled in with gravel/boulders. WTF are they doing? I'm assuming garage given the location, but who knows now.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:07 AM   #2338
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Solve a mystery for me...I ride past a place under construction. They cleared out the space for the garage, excavated deep, poured ~8 foot walls, then put in a bunch of columns. So I thought maybe it was space under the garage for whatever. Weird, but rich people do weird things. I road past this morning and it has been entirely filled in with gravel/boulders. WTF are they doing? I'm assuming garage given the location, but who knows now.
Columns might be support for car lifts.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #2339
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would you dig down 8 feet, and pour foundation walls though? I was under the impression a lift just needed a thickened pad, which would be way cheaper than this. And the columns were spaced out all over, not just under where a lift would go.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #2340
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
I am in need of a new roof, frankly it's been a bit of a trial to get a company out to do an actual quote for me. Always eager to pick up the phone and make an appointment but everyone to date has been a no show.

Before I just go to Roof Mart and hunt down a contractor there. I was wondering if anyone here has had any good experiences with a roofing contractor.

Won't be a huge job but it is my whole roof.
I was working on my car in the driveway on Sunday when someone from Advanced Level Roofing showed up and asked if I wanted a quote.
He arranged with me to come back Monday at 5:30 when I finished work and needed about 10min to go over the quote. He showed up on time on monday, very well spoken, and explained part and step in detail. I haven't had a chance to go over the information nor compare quotes yet as I didn't have plans to do this this year, but I would recommend this for the quote part for sure. No clue about their work but it's got good reviews on google.

FWIW the quote came in around $7k for a starter size 2 storey front attached house. Work will be 1 full day in and out as they have a 5 man crew.

Apparently they have a referral program too? But not sure how that works considering I haven't actually done anything yet lol.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote