Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:10 PM   #841
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wouldn't mind bringing in Sharp on a Versteeg like contract this season if Kris ends up pricing himself out of our range. I don't think his stats truly reflect the season he just had. He was banged up all year, but is just 1 year removed from a 55 season, and 2 years removed from 15 points in 23 playoff games on the cup winning Hawks. I think he's a better player than Kris and would be a cheap and perfect fit on that 1RW.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:24 PM   #842
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Wouldn't mind bringing in Sharp on a Versteeg like contract this season if Kris ends up pricing himself out of our range. I don't think his stats truly reflect the season he just had. He was banged up all year, but is just 1 year removed from a 55 season, and 2 years removed from 15 points in 23 playoff games on the cup winning Hawks. I think he's a better player than Kris and would be a cheap and perfect fit on that 1RW.
Yes. Go 2x2 and let Versteeg walk.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:08 AM   #843
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beau Bennett wasn't qualified. If he can stay healthy, I think he could be a 15g/15a player in the bottom 6. Last year he played a career high 65 games.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:45 AM   #844
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Yes. Go 2x2 and let Versteeg walk.
I'd rather have Versteeg on 2 x 2 than Sharp, since Versteeg is 4 years younger.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:54 AM   #845
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post

I assume that if Sharp wants to/has to sign a cheap deal, it will back with Chicago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 07:59 AM   #846
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friedman mentioned on Prime Time Sports the Flames resisted to trade Bennett on this deal (Hamonic) or other deals. Mentioned that Bennett may have been willing to go but the Flames are holding onto him
Old 06-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #847
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Friedman mentioned on Prime Time Sports the Flames resisted to trade Bennett on this deal (Hamonic) or other deals. Mentioned that Bennett may have been willing to go but the Flames are holding onto him
I do think this is a bit of a make or break year for Bennett, both in terms of him being a Centre, and his general future with the Flames. Yes, the guy is young, but players who are picked at his position tend to produce early. He's entering his 4th year of hockey with this team (yes I realize the first one was partial), it's time to take the next step.

Personally, I still don't really see him as a Centre...he just doesn't utilize his teammates enough to be one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #848
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I do think this is a bit of a make or break year for Bennett, both in terms of him being a Centre, and his general future with the Flames. Yes, the guy is young, but players who are picked at his position tend to produce early. He's entering his 4th year of hockey with this team (yes I realize the first one was partial), it's time to take the next step.

Personally, I still don't really see him as a Centre...he just doesn't utilize his teammates enough to be one.
I think he needs to be on the wing. I agree he needs to show something this year.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #849
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

i think bennett just plays a style of game that is much better suited to the late season/playoff nhl. guy has a lot of drive, if we fancy ourselves a playoff team and want to make some noise you keep guys like that around.

is your cat doing singing?
Old 06-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #850
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It comes as no surprise that Bennett may have been willing to move.

The guy is a skilled center. He needs to play with skilled wingers.

You can't saddle him with players like Chaisson, Brouwer, Bouma, Versteeg and then chastise him for not producing.

Give him some skill and let him run with it.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:14 AM   #851
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is a guy's third season in the league a make or break year?

Bennett had a fine rookie season and then had a sophomore slump playing centre and learning a new system. He looked more comfortable as the year wore on and played great in the playoffs.

The Flames talk about having 2 top pairs to throw at the Oilers but having a similar option at centre is also key. Bennett is the type of player that gets under opponents skin. If the Flames can have either he or Backlund on McDavid going forward that is beneficial for the Flames. We can keep the Monahan line away as best as possible and have one amazing defensive centre and another physical pain in the ass centre all over the McDavid line at him or away (for the most part)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #852
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You can't put Vertseeg in the un-skilled winger category.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #853
LGA
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Local Avs fan here again, just giving a little input in regards to Grigorenko. He has insane skill, a good shot and very good vision. The problem for him is that he is an all-world Euro league player where physicality is not something they have to worry about. He just doesn't have the intensity, or willingness to play with anything resembling physical contact. If someone could get him to engage consistently, and be willing to take a hit to make a play he'd be a fantastic player.
The Following User Says Thank You to LGA For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 08:18 AM   #854
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
You can't put Vertseeg in the un-skilled winger category.
I can certainly put Versteeg in the "not valuable enough to protect as a forward" category. I can also put him in the "PTO" category, because that's exactly what he was last year. Versteeg was a good value for the Flames, but let's not overstate things here.

I suspect Bennett's contract negotiations are going to have a heavy message about giving him the opportunity to play with skilled wingers for an extended period of time. Not 3 games, not the 2nd period, but for months where chemistry can be built. The kid wants to play. he's chomping at the bit. Give him what he needs to succeed or move him along before we destroy his trade value.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:22 AM   #855
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
It comes as no surprise that Bennett may have been willing to move.

The guy is a skilled center. He needs to play with skilled wingers.

You can't saddle him with players like Chaisson, Brouwer, Bouma, Versteeg and then chastise him for not producing.

Give him some skill and let him run with it.
I understand why he may have been willing to move as well. He looks up the middle and he has Monahan and Backlund clearly ahead of him. He looks at the left side and Gaudreau and Tkachuk are clearly ahead of him.

I think the Flames need to put him with Tkachuk and see how that line produces. The team loves their pairs. Monahan-Gaudreau, Backlund-Frolik and last year it was supposed to be Bennett-Brouwer but that failed.

Let either Ferland or Brouwer play with Backlund-Frolik and either Ferland, Lazar, or Versteeg get minutes with Tkachuk-Bennett.

If that works all of a sudden the Flames are rolling 3 lines deep up front and 2 pairs on the back end, that many teams will struggle against this depth
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #856
home_sweet_dome
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Still believe Bennett's game is much better suited to the wing at the NHL level and he has elite winger potential still.

Meanwhile the severely under-rated Janko is an NHL center all day long in a top 9 capacity starting this year.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
x - Janko - Ferland

with the x being Versteeg, Lazar, Brouwer, or a UFA. Ferland could switch sides depending on who the x is. Looks like a pretty decent top 9 to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to home_sweet_dome For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 08:38 AM   #857
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGA View Post
Local Avs fan here again, just giving a little input in regards to Grigorenko. He has insane skill, a good shot and very good vision. The problem for him is that he is an all-world Euro league player where physicality is not something they have to worry about. He just doesn't have the intensity, or willingness to play with anything resembling physical contact. If someone could get him to engage consistently, and be willing to take a hit to make a play he'd be a fantastic player.
Is it just me or does Grigorenko seem like a good fit to play with Bennett? Bennett needs to play with someone who's skilled and Grigorenko is skilled. Grigorenko needs to play with guys who can bring out their feistiness and that seems like Bennett. I would go hard after him because as mentioned, Bennett needs to play with guys who can actually play finesse hockey.

JG-Monahan-?
3M line
Grigorenko/Bennett-Ferland
Lazar/Janko- Brouwer or something like this with one of those guys possibly moving up to the first line.

The Flames have a chance to put out some really good lines, they just need to find chemistry and Bennett doesn't seem to have it with many guys on the team, so get new guys for him!

Last edited by Poe969; 06-27-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:41 AM   #858
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

"Partial"

Yeah, he played what? 1 regular season and 11 playoff games? After missing the entire year with an injury no less.

That leaves him with 2 pro seasons under his belt so far. 1 as a LW under Bob Hartley's ridiculous system, 1 as a C under Glen Gulutzan's structured defensive system that the coaching staff has come out and said asks a lot of it's centres.

"doesn't utilize his teammates enough to be one"

Utilize who? Troy Brouwer? Alex Chiasson? Well, Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan both failed to utilize them as well. We better waive those guys ASAP.

So a 1st year centre put up 26 points and filled the 3rd line centre spot on a playoff team. Whatever your expectations of Bennett are, well, they're wrong.

The lack of patience in player development in fans, specifically fans interested enough to follow a team online on hockey forums, is perplexing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 08:42 AM   #859
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hearing Vegas is trying to move Emelin and having trouble, I think with salary retained would be a good replacement for Engelland on the 3rd pairing, thoughts?
Old 06-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #860
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't remember Emelin being that much of a tough guy, sure he hits but he doesn't really seem tough, but that's just what I think. IMO they need a guy on the bottom pairing that isn't afraid to make someone eat their teeth but can still play well. Emelin just doesn't seem like that guy to me.