Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #181
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems pretty logical.

They have to submit their selections to the league at 7:00am Vegas time on Wednesday. As such, he likely wants to have the list finalized by close of business tomorrow.

That means wrapping up any trades by the end of the day today.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #182
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Vegas needs time to go through everything. They don't want to do a last minute deal and have it affect the rest of their anticipated roster.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #183
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Seems pretty logical.

They have to submit their selections to the league at 7:00am Vegas time on Wednesday. As such, he likely wants to have the list finalized by close of business tomorrow.

That means wrapping up any trades by the end of the day today.
Not to mention they have such a short window to negotiate with free agents that have been exposed and that factors into all the decisions as well. Makes a ton of sense to get the protection trades out of the way so that Vegas can move ahead with their decision making process and their negotiations with any UFA's they may want to sign.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #184
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

They is nothing wrong with imposing a deadline...I'm just saying they will do whatever they think makes their team better up until the last minute.

"okay so we will offer you McDavid to not select Iiro Pakarinen"

"sorry pal, too late we had a deadline"
Old 06-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #185
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
They is nothing wrong with imposing a deadline...I'm just saying they will do whatever they think makes their team better up until the last minute.

"okay so we will offer you McDavid to not select Iiro Pakarinen"

"sorry pal, too late we had a deadline"
thanks tips
Old 06-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #186
The Coppernian One
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
7years at 9.8mill would be awesome. Oilers would be very hard pressed to match, and eats into vegas' cap room going forward (don't forget they are in our division). Edmonton receives a couple firsts a second and 3rd.
Ashasx mentioned the 5 years thing. A 6 year deal would have to be at about $6.5 million AAV or less, a 7 year deal at about $7 million AAV or less. Above that you're in 4 1st territory. Both would pretty much be an instant match, probably with a "Thank You" card sent.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #187
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Islanders have deal with Vegas, likely will lose Nikolay Kulemin in expansion draft

Quote:
The Islanders have a deal in place to send their first-round pick to Vegas to steer the expansion franchise toward selecting a designated player off the Isles’ unprotected list, two NHL sources confirmed to Newsday on Monday.

The player designated for selection is believed to be wing Nikolay Kulemin, who has one year at a $4.187-million salary cap hit. There may also, according to the sources, be another piece in the deal going from the Islanders to Vegas.

It is unknown what that third component would be — whether it’s another draft pick, a player off the current roster or a prospect — but there is a possibility that it would be Mikhail Grabovski, who has yet to be cleared to play after suffering a concussion in March of 2016. Grabovski’s $5-million cap hit is on the books for one more season for the Islanders, who are already within $4 million and change of the coming season’s $75-million salary cap.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ampaign=buffer
Old 06-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #188
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post
The real piece of news here is not just that Grabovski and Kulemin are somehow still employed in the NHL, but also for the same team.

I honestly thought both of them had bolted to Russia/Europe after leaving Toronto.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:28 AM   #189
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey...icipation-fear

Quote:
But will anyone overpay to acquire Tanev? That’s the real question for Canucks general manager Jim Benning.

Dallas, for example, is thought to be one of the teams most interested in Tanev and they have the third and 29th picks in Friday’s draft. One of the rumours making the rounds has the Canucks, who pick fifth, flipping picks with the Stars and picking up their late first-rounder and another asset for Tanev.
Which would mean 5th OA + Tanev for 3rd OA + 29th OA + asset

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-20-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:48 AM   #190
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey...icipation-fear

Squire Barnes is Global BC sports anchor.

Canucks Now @CanucksNow

Squire Barnes: "The #Canucks have talked to the four teams ahead of them [to move up] - it doesn't look like that's going to happening."

Benning has to hit it out of the park if he will move Tanev. If he can get into the top 8 (Buffalo/Arizona) or if Liljegren is available at the TB/Bos/TOR pick, I can see Benning making the deal.

Canucks are trying to get a young C (Sam Reinhart/Dylan Strome) but I can't see a team giving up that level of prospect for Tanev, owing mostly to the fact that teams rarely trade their top prospects. Best case scenario is Arizona or Buffalo's first or TB/TOR/Bos first and a top prospect.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #191
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe it's my blind hate for the Canucks, but I just don't see how Tanev is that much.

Decent defenceman, 4/5 on any average team, but is yet to play anything close to a full season.
The Following User Says Thank You to metroneck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 07:56 AM   #192
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroneck View Post
Maybe it's my blind hate for the Canucks, but I just don't see how Tanev is that much.

Decent defenceman, 4/5 on any average team, but is yet to play anything close to a full season.
I can see Tanev being on a good team's second pairing easily. He's a consistent player.

His injuries do concern me though.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #193
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
That would be a steep price for Tanev.

I mean the generic cost to move up a bit in the draft tends to be a pick in the round below so to do that deal you're basically valuing Tanev straight up as a late first + 2nd round pick + asset. I assume that asset would probably be a youngish waiver eligible depth defender that Tanev would displace.

It's not impossible but I think a GM would have to be pretty desperate.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #194
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
That would be a steep price for Tanev.

I mean the generic cost to move up a bit in the draft tends to be a pick in the round below so to do that deal you're basically valuing Tanev straight up as a late first + 2nd round pick + asset. I assume that asset would probably be a youngish waiver eligible depth defender that Tanev would displace.

It's not impossible but I think a GM would have to be pretty desperate.
I think that would be terrible deal for van..3rd vs 5th might be no difference in player if you talk to most people in this draft, can get Makar at 5, who might turn out to be the best player in this draft.

Then it 29th + asset for Tanev, asset would have to be really good for van to pull ahead in this trade, otherwise Dallas gets off with this trade.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #195
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Edmonton will match any offer sheet for Draisaitl, so what's the point?
As it has been mentioned, you poison pill it so he get money and his qualifying offer is a lot higher like what the Flames did with O'Reilly.

Like with all offer sheets it is about painting a team into a corner and making them make hard choices. That hard choice is usually down the road.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #196
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
As it has been mentioned, you poison pill it so he get money and his qualifying offer is a lot higher like what the Flames did with O'Reilly.

Like with all offer sheets it is about painting a team into a corner and making them make hard choices. That hard choice is usually down the road.
I think Edmonton is lucky to have gotten this far without having their RFA's getting qualified offers. Of course that is no fault of the other team; it speaks to the ineptitude of the Oilers to develop multiple 1st overall picks properly. When you consistently pick as high as they do, you would expect that someone is going to offer an Oiler RFA big time money, and its only a matter of if, not when. I feel with Draisaitl and McDavid blooming, this might actually happen.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #197
Franchise Player

Exp:

He wouldn't be injury prone if the flames acquired him cause he wouldn't have to continue being Ferland's bitch anymore. I swear that playoff series shortened Tanev's career by 3 years.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #198
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Joe Smith @TBTimes_JSmith
Hearing #tblightning has a side deal in place with Vegas to protect its young 'D."

*insert condom joke
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #199
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very immature sureloss!
Old 06-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #200
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Hearing #tblightning has a side deal in place with Vegas to protect its young 'D."

*insert condom joke
James Mirtle @mirtle
Rumour is Lightning will unload salary to Vegas, too. Another high pick for McPhee perhaps?

#tblightning has some promising young forward prospects to deal from and two second round picks. Could unload some salary other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Very immature sureloss!
your mama
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread