Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which goaltender do you hope will be starting for the Flames in the 2017–18 Season?
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 11 1.76%
Mike Condon (UFA) 5 0.80%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 51 8.16%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 219 35.04%
Jon Gillies 33 5.28%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 73 11.68%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 10 1.60%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 3 0.48%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 25 4.00%
Steve Mason (UFA) 14 2.24%
Ryan Miller (UFA) 22 3.52%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 19 3.04%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 18 2.88%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 78 12.48%
David Rittich 4 0.64%
Mike Smith (Trade) 35 5.60%
Cam Ward (Trade) 5 0.80%
Voters: 625. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #221
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no doubt at all that MAF would waive for Calgary. A good young upcoming team where he can be guaranteed starter.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:13 PM   #222
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The rumor that Vegas is targeting MAF and there is interest on his side is one of the only roadblocks I can see the Fwury becoming a Flame. I hope he asks JR to send him to the Flames. A higher pressure market than Vegas but Calgary offers him a chance to win
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:24 PM   #223
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think any of these options are better than Brian Elliott when you factor in cost and probable length of contract. I know we were all disappointed with his playoff performance, but all of these goalies have flaws and he has a better track record than pretty much any of them.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Menace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #224
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Vegas also will have no chance at winning for at least a handful of seasons.

Surely MAF will have some desire to be on a competitive team while he is still in his relatively good years.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #225
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Darren Haynes is pretty well connected. He wrote this a week ago.

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2017/...h-why-its.html
Everything I've heard is what Pens fans say they hear in their media. But this is more recent, so his list may have changed.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #226
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he's got teams like Vegas and Calgary on his list, then clearly he's willing to play ball with/for Pittsburgh and let them not only trade him, but possibly even get some value out of him in that trade by potentially creating a bidding war.

It'd be pretty easy for him to create a list full of 18 teams that are set with their goaltending which would make trading him nearly impossible for the Pens.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #227
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't think the Flames will get any of the Pens goalies, Brad will surprise us and do something unexpected.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:27 PM   #228
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think my preference would be Raanta with Gillies as back-up, but second choice would be Elliot with Gillies as back-up (probably would not have stated the second choice 2 weeks ago).
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:58 PM   #229
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamefan1 View Post
I think my preference would be Raanta with Gillies as back-up, but second choice would be Elliot with Gillies as back-up (probably would not have stated the second choice 2 weeks ago).
I'm surprised at the number of posters who want Gillies as the backup next year. His professional experience is half a season in the AHL with average stats.

Sing a veteran backup (bring back Johnson?) to a one year contract and let Gillies get another season in the A before even considering graduation to the NHL.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:04 PM   #230
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'd be okay with bringing back Johnson but only if it didn't conflict with bringing back Versteeg and Stone. They absolutely take priority.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:20 PM   #231
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I don't think any of these options are better than Brian Elliott when you factor in cost and probable length of contract. I know we were all disappointed with his playoff performance, but all of these goalies have flaws and he has a better track record than pretty much any of them.
His good seasons were all with St. Louis at the height of their air-tight defensive game with limited play time. The track record proved nothing this year.

I'd rather not give the Oilers and Ducks the gift of facing Elliott in net for another season's (and playoffs') worth of games and have to be peering through our fingers wondering if he's going to be tight enough against the post to stop a shot from the corner. God those low danger squeakers at the most unnecessary times were painful. Sucked away our momentum, every time.

Average, .915 goaltending is all I ask from the guy coming in, and if you have Elliott you're either getting .950 with an early/late softy, or .700 beach ball goaltending. But it's as much at one end of the spectrum as the other. Done with that rollercoaster, thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2017, 11:57 PM   #232
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I'm surprised at the number of posters who want Gillies as the backup next year. His professional experience is half a season in the AHL with average stats.

Sing a veteran backup (bring back Johnson?) to a one year contract and let Gillies get another season in the A before even considering graduation to the NHL.
Agreed. Gillies is still green imo. He needs at least another full season in the A.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:27 AM   #233
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also speaking of the Ducks and Oilers, probably our two biggest divisional rivals as of presently, Elliott was a collective 0-9-1 through the season and playoffs.....
Old 05-14-2017, 12:44 AM   #234
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm surprised so many people have Gillies or Parsons listed as elite NHL goalies that will be able to fill in the void in the next 2-3 years...and want a goalie as a stop-gap measure.

The reality is that it's likely that Gillies and Parsons never become NHL calibre goalies, let alone elite NHL goalies. That's the nature of the position.

It's foolish to think that you have anything at all until it materializes. What are you going to do if you look for a stop-gap solution for the next 2-3 years and then Gillies and Parsons both bust??? Then what??....You've wasted 2-3 years of Gaudreau, Monahan, Brodie, Giordano, Backlund, Hamilton......you've wasted 2-3 years of their life.....because without elite goaltending, this team or any team for that matter isn't going anywhere.

So the whether you acquire a blue chip goalie prospect like Grubauer or sign a UFA like Bishop to 6 years (not gonna happen now anyway), or trade for MAF...the fact is that this position needs to be resolved.

Enough with the Hiilers, Ramos, Elliotts...and please NO to Miller, Mason ...on and on and on bandaid fixes.......just fix it and deal with the aftermath when/if Parsons or Gillies become legit goalies.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:01 AM   #235
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing with Raanta is you have no idea what you are going to get.

He's had similar stats as a back-up as Chad Johnson (outside of Johnson's bad year with the Islanders). We prefer him over Johnson because we haven't seen him much, but no guarantee he's any better.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #236
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
The thing with Raanta is you have no idea what you are going to get.

He's had similar stats as a back-up as Chad Johnson (outside of Johnson's bad year with the Islanders). We prefer him over Johnson because we haven't seen him much, but no guarantee he's any better.
You can say this for every goalie. There are no guarantees with these wackos.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #237
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I would go with 1 of Fleury or Smith if I could vote again. Probably Smith, as I think we could shoe-horn 1 of Bouma/Stajan/Brouwer in the deal.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #238
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
I'm surprised so many people have Gillies or Parsons listed as elite NHL goalies that will be able to fill in the void in the next 2-3 years...and want a goalie as a stop-gap measure.

The reality is that it's likely that Gillies and Parsons never become NHL calibre goalies, let alone elite NHL goalies. That's the nature of the position.

It's foolish to think that you have anything at all until it materializes. What are you going to do if you look for a stop-gap solution for the next 2-3 years and then Gillies and Parsons both bust??? Then what??....You've wasted 2-3 years of Gaudreau, Monahan, Brodie, Giordano, Backlund, Hamilton......you've wasted 2-3 years of their life.....because without elite goaltending, this team or any team for that matter isn't going anywhere.

So the whether you acquire a blue chip goalie prospect like Grubauer or sign a UFA like Bishop to 6 years (not gonna happen now anyway), or trade for MAF...the fact is that this position needs to be resolved.

Enough with the Hiilers, Ramos, Elliotts...and please NO to Miller, Mason ...on and on and on bandaid fixes.......just fix it and deal with the aftermath when/if Parsons or Gillies become legit goalies.
No one has come close to arguing that Gillies and/or Parsons are elite NHL goalies. However, Parsons IS an elite prospect.

But it's kind of odd that you follow that rant with the suggestion of Grubauer, as he is far from proven himself.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #239
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Enterprise commercial-caliber Brodeur, is what this team needs.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #240
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post

Dude, when you make the same post in both current goalie threads you're just going to get both threads on the exact same conversation.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote