Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 02:49 AM   #4941
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I wouldn't even cross the line with Burrows even though I have zero respect for him. That would be stooping to his level.
As in, Burrows is THAT guy that stoops to that level on and off the ice.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:07 AM   #4942
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
As in, Burrows is THAT guy that stoops to that level on and off the ice.
Yeah, he is. Even though I don't know for a fact what he said to Tootoo I have a pretty good idea what it probably was knowing a bit about his family since he and his brother played Jr. A. where I'm from and I was part of the organization.

But still, I wouldn't use that as an excuse to call him names relating to personal issues he might have both past and present.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:10 AM   #4943
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I question the value of this
Old 04-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #4944
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been exposed to a lot of garbage comments on this forum, some at players, teams, cities, and unfortunately some personal.

TBQH, I think the number of chances is too many in numerous cases and the lifetime banning is not frequent enough.

Just my nickels worth...
The Following User Says Thank You to iamca For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #4945
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #4946
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bye by Elmer.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #4947
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is he gone ? dear lord I just don't get the need to respond to every comment

that said
The Following User Says Thank You to FlatLandFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #4948
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
When the Islanders finally broke their 10 year playoff drought, TSN did a top 10 list of embarrassing Islander moments from that decade. Yashin, Luongo for Dipietro followed by that contract and so on. It was kind of an homage to how unbelievably poorly that franchise was run, a reminder that it would not be forgotten if you will.

So the question is, what is the oilers top 10 list of historic ineptness for the last 10 years?

10. After going to the cup final, Pronger decides he no longer likes Edmonton and demands a trade. The trade brought back Smid, Lupul, a draft pick that would become Riley Nash, a draft pick that would become Travis Hamonic, and a draft pick that would become Jordan Eberle. Pronger went on to win the cup that year and it marked the beginning of the record 10 year playoff drought.

9. Michael Nylander an Oiler? Kevin Lowe sure thought so. After coming to a handshake agreement, Lowe and co were patiently awaiting the signed contract to be faxed, but were taken unaware when Washington announced that they'd come to an agreement with the silk handed swede. Lowe proclaimed this was an unprecedented act and would look for legal recourse as this influenced their dealings with other FAs. Legal recourse of course told him deals aren't deals until they're signed.

8. Dany Heatley an Oiler? Steve Tambellini sure thought so. After demanding a trade from Ottawa, the sniper was told that a deal had been made. The only thing is... well, it was with Edmonton. Heatley couldn't decide which destination would be worse, Edmonton or Ottawa. The Oilers brass decided to dispense with their pride (or that they had none to begin with) and charm Danny boy, but soon realised they were being used as leverage and Heatley became a Shark.

7. The summer of offer sheets. In 2007, Lowe attempted to lure 2 high profile RFAs via offer sheet. He offered a 7 year, 50 million dollar deal to Vanek, and a 5 year 21 million dollar deal to Dustin Penner. The latter would prove successful, drawing ire from an angry Brian Burke who later would say that he challenged Kevin Lowe to a barn fight. It would not be long before the oilers would regret the Penner deal as he could not regain the form from the beginning of his career with Anaheim, but instead found a new form: round.

6. Under pressure. After being snubbed by Nylander, the oilers decided their big ticket would be offered to Sheldon Sourray. They signed him to a 5 year 27 million dollar deal. Sourray almost immediately reinjured a bad shoulder and spent most of the first year injured. It became obvious that the relationship between team and player was fractured right then and there, as the lumbering dman claimed the injury was caused by Lowe pressuring him to play before he was healed sighting a tough guy mentality. There were suggestions that this attitude effected more than just Sourray, as Tom Renney hinted that he too was pressured to play injured players.

5. Seattle Grungers? In 2012, Darryl Katz took the management team of the Oilers to Seattle 2 months before the drop dead date for an arena deal would hit for city council. The city, who thought they had a deal worked out with Katz, was now dealing with a volatile renegotiation through veiled threats of moving. After being asked to publicly state his new demands, Katz refused but did say that he revised the deal struck earlier that year and no longer saw it as viable. Staring down the barrel of a gun, then mayor Stephen Mandel caved to Katz' demands and signed one of the worst arena/real estate deals with a private entity in Canadian history.

4. Knowing a thing or 2. In a press conference that had everything from contract tampering to a middle aged man melting down on camera, the oilers state of the union and introduction of Mactavish as GM in 2012 epitomised no goodness. In it, Lowe distinguished between fans based on how much they spent on the team, claimed that years of losing were a part of his plan, and that of course, you'd understand if you'd won as much as he has, which you haven't, so shut up. The theme of being above criticism as the worst run franchise in league history was hard to take for a fan base that was in need of competence, but all they saw in front of them was an easily wavered and flustered long time member of the club, the man they lovingly call "keys please".

3. Carry water, chop wood. Dallas Eakins would become a legendary exclamation point on a horrid franchise's struggle to get one single thing right. After firing promising head coach Ralph Kruger over Skype, Mactavish's boldest and oddest move was hiring Marlies coach Dallas Eakins. Miscast from day one, Dallas implemented a no donuts for reporters rule, a roll over like a dog drill, and a do anything but play defense defense. The swarm, as it was known, was responsible for countless, "this guy scored" graphics and embarrassment for a team and fan base that was on the brink of delirium. Jerseys rained down on to the ice and fans lined the walk way at rexall to boo the players to their face.

2. Comrie fiasco. Kevin Lowe had a deal on the table to ship disgruntled local "Star" Mike Comrie to Anaheim in exchange for prospect Corey Perry and a first round draft pick, but there was a catch. Lowe wanted Comrie to pay the team damages for holding out and demanding a trade. He thought the only way to get value for Comrie was for Comrie to pay him 2.5 million dollars out of his own pocket. Rightly, the cheap furniture heir and smurf laughed at this notion and later was traded, free of charge, to Philadelphia for Jeff woywitka, Danny syvret, and Rob Schremp.

1. Over the span of 6 years, the league needed to revise draft lottery rules 2 times. Both in response to one pitiful team's failure to launch despite being given some of the most favorable conditions in sports history. An entire league cringed in 2016, as it nearly had to be changed a third time. Alas, the oilers only accrued 4 1st overall picks over a 6 year span (two were traded, one they wish they still could). But it wasn't until they received a gift that was not only generous, but generational, did they start to see winning as a possiblity. Ryan Strome was the player that the oilers were in line to pick, but on one fateful June evening, to the chagrin of everyone outside Edmonton including the player subject to the lottery itself, Bill Daly held up the golden grease stain, with a pained look that read "it is by the dumbest luck imaginable that you, the worst team to ever grace this league, will crawl out of the hole of self inflicted awfulness to maybe make the playoffs 2 years from now."
I really think the "corridor of boo's" should have made this list.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #4949
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Glad that got him banned. Thanks mods. That is pure trash, whether you're an Oilers or a Flames fan.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #4950
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
His comment on Ferland crossed the line. I wouldn't even bring up personal problems of my most hated players.
I have seen many times on this board ignorant comments about mact's personal history. So while you may not go there. Others do.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #4951
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I have seen many times on this board ignorant comments about mact's personal history. So while you may not go there. Others do.
There's a difference between personal problems and murder as a result of those personal problems.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #4952
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

The MacT stuff has always bugged me. I may have stooped to that level myself on here in the past. I'm not proud of that. Seems too far imo. Maybe because I'm older now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #4953
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
There's a difference between personal problems and murder as a result of those personal problems.
So that makes ok to go there on a hockey board?.

Talk about it on an off topic thread and don't use it like some people do to mock the man, the oilers and the city.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #4954
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
I really think the "corridor of boo's" should have made this list.
Very last sentence in #3. All part of the Eakins era, along with jersey tossing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #4955
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Very last sentence in #3. All part of the Eakins era, along with jersey tossing.
Lol. Thanks.

Really you could have a top ten on the Eakins era alone. The Hall water bottle incident comes to mind too.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #4956
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eakins' remarkable resemblance to Lloyd Braun was enough alone for me to want the Oilers to give him a lifetime contract. I couldn't stop laughing whenever I saw him. But that reaction had a lot more to do with just his appearance..
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #4957
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
So that makes ok to go there on a hockey board?.

Talk about it on an off topic thread and don't use it like some people do to mock the man, the oilers and the city.
I would disagree here. I wouldn't want Voynov or Varlamov on my team given the domestic issues either. Having a minimum level of character for how people treat others in positions of public Trust is reasonable. And perfectly inline with things other fans can attack your team for.

When someone is an alcoholic or has other personal issues that crosses a line.

If your team doesn't like being slandered for employing a murderer maybe they shouldn't employ a murderer.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #4958
FFFLife
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Ha
Old 04-02-2017, 11:59 AM   #4959
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great post by Major Major.
To add on to each of the points:

10) Pronger had asked for a trade because Lowe told him all sorts of free agents were coming that offseason. He tried (Niedermeyer among others) but landed none besides Pronger. So there is Pronger lining up with Cory Cross come October. Pronger asked for a trade around Christmas.

This situation and the Comrie thing have been the biggest reason the Oilers repuatation has been in the players and agents toilet for the past decade and lead as a result to the other issues the team and organization has had...and has looked good on them.
Also that Stanley cup year, McTavish had to be renewed at a club option before the end of the regular season as coach. He wasn't, so he doubled or tripled his salary and got a long term contract.
Speaking of long term deals,whereas the Flames parted with main cog Conroy after 2004 when he became a UFA Lowe thought he was inches away and signed plugs like Pisani and Moreau and other slugs to 4-6 year overpaid contracts.
The Stanley Cup run got an already disillusioned Lowe even more onto he crazy train and more dangerously,made them a cap team.

9)Nylander and his wife didn't want to move there, likely got a call from the Prongers that Kevin Lowe and his sell job were a bag of magic beans.
Also recall the Oilers scribes and fans scanning the incoming flights as someone said that Jäger was arriving from Russia to play with the Oilers.

8)I think Lowe and Tambellini drove to Kelowna in the last hours of that situation to see Heatley and he wasn't home.

7)Darcy Regier caught wind and told Lowe a few days in advance not to bother going through the charade for the offer sheet on Vanek. Lowe ignored and did anyway to satisfy his ego and Buffalo matched within minutes.
Lowe many times said to and via the press the Oilers were open for business (our previous GM in his wisdom said they too in his last desperate attempt to keep a job here too) and got the sounds of crickets and tumble weeds.

6)Oiler buried Souray in the minors too. This was after an infection that resulted from the complications of Sourays injury had him in in the hospital longer. The Oilers thought he was faking and didn't even check up on him after a while. And then buried him in the minors the next year.

Brings up the Smidt hing which I've documented a few times, where he played with a neck growth and th Oilers doctors telling him to suck it up. Only when he started dropping his stick randomly as no sensation in his arm did he finally stop playing, at his own discretion, not the Oilers.

And, he Oilers trying to do a trade about 3 times a few years ago with the Kings, the players (Purcell and others) each failing physicals with the Kings.

5) Katz did what he said he was going to do when he bought the team, as far as it needing a new arena and help in getting a new arena or else...but the fans and press up there ignored that message and just saw the money bags he was bringing. When he came to call in his promise on a new arena, they thought help in building the arena was an outrage. The fans and press were as enabling to the junk that went on up there for all these situations, having their head stuck in 1985, which made it worse. Mind you,Katz and his candlelight dinner sweet talk to McDavid on national TV was ultra creepy, and why would any network agree to show it is just as weird.

4)The MacTavish face that has made its rounds was just perfect. Lowe always made sure he had layers between him and blame and MacT being a GM means that he wouldn't have a pesky competent GM with their own ideas to get in his way of NHL domination. Felt bad for MacT from what I've heard from buddies who had met him years ago, is a good guy but had Lowe's claws attached to him and did Lowes dirty work as far as being an unconvincing mouthpiece.
And remember when he was the bench chaperone for the interim coach for 6 games after they fired Eakins?

3)The water bottle thing, and firing Krueger in Europe,while working for the Oilers scouting, via Skype because Lowe caught wind from those in the media the Eakins was a popular choice that other teams wanted (as asssitant) so Lowe thought that landed the so called prized fish would look good and feed Lowes ego some more.

In general, so many moves Lowe made were for attention,hubris, his ego, and to be thought of as some sort of maverick and innovator, all in the same way he thought that Sather was regarded back in the 80s. He never even got close to that, just looking foolish,petty,incompetent,and a snake oil salesman.

2) His unhappiness with Comrie started from the second contract. He figured Comrie should actually take less then his entry level contract, claiming the Oilers signed him and got him into the league at the end of whatever season,was goodwill on the Oilers part and the player should pay that back by taking less, and knowing Owe, probably pressured Bill Comrie to have his son take a home town discount like a crappy couch goes on sale at the Brick. Clearly that went over like a lead balloon and started the bad blood. Comrie got a proper second contract but had a lot of bonuses to try and make up for the less money the Oilers were giving as guaranteed. The Oilers as a team sucked but Comrie hit all those bonuses triggers to the disgust of Lowe, and then that offseason is where the trade talk happened and occurred.

Lowe,as mentioned,thought he was being the white knight,standing up to players on behalf of all other GMs ...but other gms thought he was out to lunch and players and agents didn't want to go to Edmonton if this is how they are going to treat decent player. A teend that more or less lasted up until last year,at best...so 15 seasons.

1) Bang on from Major Major.

Other things not mentioned.

-The two headed coach thing with Quinn and Renney. Again,Lowe boasting that it's never been done but he did it and pats himself on the back.
Quinn was done after a year and Renney was miserable and (surprise) left on bad terms as soon as he could.
-The desperate lengths Lowe went to for Justin Schultz, Lowe pleading with Gretzky and Coffey to call him up.
-Khabibhulin had well documented back issues and couldn't get a contract with anyone, until Lowe drives a dump truck of money and long term deal,probably as he was known as a Flames killer up to that point.
-Players that left as soon as they could after signing and realizing how bad it was, not heeding the Souray and Pronger warnings, such as Erik Cole and Eric Perron.
-Lowe caught on camera still grinning that the Flames got picked out in the Crosby lottery,but the Oilers were right behind. Again,ego.
-Ruining promising junior talent due to the politics, backstabbing and betrayal behind the scenes a Lowe tried to have his hand in everything, enabled by Patrick Laforge as president. It was too late for Hall,Yakuopov,and really for Eberle and RNH, only Draisital and McDavid escaped out of that cesspool in time.

Nicholson was a Lowe hire and has fallen ass backwards into getting even bits of credit for the current success,as his being a figurehead with Hockey Canada had no way in preparing him to run a day to day NHL franchise that was in the toilet.
McLellan a good hire but again without winning the lottery and getting McDavid, you can see the results last year.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 11:59 AM   #4960
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
14.Gaudreau

If he's getting preferential treatment, than wouldn't you have to say Gaudreau is as well?
I think this sums up the McDavid penalties vs Gaudreau pretty well.

https://streamable.com/ghrd

Last edited by nickerjones; 04-02-2017 at 12:02 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nickerjones For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread