Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #221
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
To anyone: Pretty sure I know the answer, but if the Flames end up drafting middle of the pack (lets say the order is frozen today), would you be at all upset if the pick is traded a la 2015?
Well, that would completely depend on the return.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #222
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames have 3 points on Dallas, who is currently 27th in the league standings. But Dallas has 2 games in hand. If the Flames revert back to the October/November team, they will most like be 27th in the league in a few weeks time and then sellers at the deadline. Once they part with pieces like Versteeg and Wideman and Elliot, I predict Murphy's Law will take place and the Flames go on a tear for meaningless points, earning themselves a lousy pick out of the top 5 this year. And then Treliving can point to the mid-season slump and slow start as areas to blame and keep Gulutzan into the next season.

Basically, Flames circa 2009-2012 all over again.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #223
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not the strongest draft so dealing the pick makes sense but that also means you won't really get a lot for dealing the pick. I still like Cal Foote and that Hauge kid, they seem to be the kind of defenders the Flames need. Tippet would be awesome too.

I think the Flames should capitalize on other teams willingness to move picks this year and sell, sell, sell!
Old 01-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #224
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

2016 draft wasn't supposed to be good either. I like Tkachuk
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #225
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
It's not the strongest draft so dealing the pick makes sense but that also means you won't really get a lot for dealing the pick. I still like Cal Foote and that Hauge kid, they seem to be the kind of defenders the Flames need. Tippet would be awesome too.

I think the Flames should capitalize on other teams willingness to move picks this year and sell, sell, sell!
Watched Foote live a couple times, have come away very impressed every time. Isn't gonna be dynamic offensively but has a big shot and is extremely good defensively and very mobile for his size. Tippet is who I want if the Flames don't luck out somehow for the top 2. But his stock is rising pretty fast, wouldn't be surprised if he goes top 5.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #226
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
To anyone: Pretty sure I know the answer, but if the Flames end up drafting middle of the pack (lets say the order is frozen today), would you be at all upset if the pick is traded a la 2015?
Only if a young asset is coming our way. Drafts gonna be a crab shoot and I still think their are a few very good D prospects that will be available around the 12-22 range like you say. I say keep it because it isn't gonna get you much better unless you are pairing with it lets say a Bennett. I would be very much inclined to trade and move up to get one of Nico or Patrik but the price would be high. I think both are unfortunately proving to be better than Bennett already and would trade Sam to acquire them. Sad but true. Both are high end players with franchise level potential imo.

Last edited by Beninho; 01-25-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #227
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Thanks everyone, good stuff.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #228
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
2016 draft wasn't supposed to be good either. I like Tkachuk
That is false. 2016 was advertised as having a tremendously strong top end of players. There was an elite top 3 but then a very, very strong secondary tier of players from 4-20
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #229
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
That is false. 2016 was advertised as having a tremendously strong top end of players. There was an elite top 3 but then a very, very strong secondary tier of players from 4-20
Ya 2016 is gonna go down as a great draft. Tkachuk goes top 3 possibly even top 2 this year with no chance he gets past 3. He was 6th last year. That draft was amazing. Keller at 7, Nylander at 8. Crazy good draft. A player like Tkachuk rarely is available at 6 and is NHL ready that coming season. We are lucky that pick is even in our lineup so yes the Flames got lucky and if they pick 6th this year that pick won't be in our team for at least one year most likely more.

Last edited by Beninho; 01-25-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:35 PM   #230
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I still think this draft is being over looked. I see a lot of size and skill through the top picks.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #231
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I still think this draft is being over looked. I see a lot of size and skill through the top picks.
Oh I agree, there are lots of very good potentially great players in this draft but lots of development as well. A good example is Klim Kostin who needs lots of development but has many of the raw tools needed to be great. There are lots of those players in this draft just not as many NHL ready players like in 2016 which only had so far 4 and Chycrun isn't ready Arizona just forced him to be should be still in junior imo. A lot of the players drafted high will need a couple years of development most likely. Patrik is the only one I would label NHL ready, even that's pushing it as he's missed lots of development time this year. Nico is a beauty but he still won't be ready imo unless on Vegas. We were lucky to get one of those NHL ready players in 2016. . Lots of development projects in this one but there is some excellent talent in this draft. It's not the Yakupov draft that's for sure.

Last edited by Beninho; 01-25-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:04 PM   #232
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Technically, the Flames have the 5th worst record in the NHL right now.

It might be time to start looking at the higher-end players in the draft.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 10:25 PM   #233
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

I see them in the top 10 but not the top 5.

Silver lining, adding a big right shot up front with skill like Vilardi if he slips or Tippett or one of the big dmen like Hague, Valimaki or Foote would soften the blow a bit. I agree with the earlier post that it's a decent draft... not amazing but OK.

Also I think moving Versteeg, Elliott and Engelland out should bring in a few mid round picks and I feel like unless you are chasing a division title moving UFAs should be a more standard practice for teams that are building.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:08 PM   #234
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I see them in the top 10 but not the top 5.

Silver lining, adding a big right shot up front with skill like Vilardi if he slips or Tippett or one of the big dmen like Hague, Valimaki or Foote would soften the blow a bit. I agree with the earlier post that it's a decent draft... not amazing but OK.

Also I think moving Versteeg, Elliott and Engelland out should bring in a few mid round picks and I feel like unless you are chasing a division title moving UFAs should be a more standard practice for teams that are building.
Don't forget Cale Maker, kid has crazy upside and is a Calgary boy so the Flames scouts are probably very familiar with him. His highlights are pretty awesome but he's a bit of a risk but very high potential if reached. Karlsson like, and just like Karlsson he may fall but he's been getting some buzz as of late. Would be very happy with him. This draft is not weak, it's not filled with generational talents but their will be great prospects the Flames can choose from the 5-10 range if that's where they are placed.

Last edited by Beninho; 01-25-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #235
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Flames schedule is fairly brutal towards the tail end of the season so we may be looking at a pick in the 5-10 range.

I think the perception of the draft always changes as we draw closer to the day. As we grow more familiar with the top rated prospects and the buzz heightens we'll develop attachments to certain players and the draft will feel stronger.

I just ran the tankathon draft lotto simulator and we got 2nd pick. Welcome to the Calgary Flames Nico Hischier.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #236
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

Gotta take into account that inevitable garbage time run we're going to go on.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #237
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
And the automatic bump from Vegas
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #238
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Yes, but we can pop our shirt buttons with pride knowing we never tank. Cough.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #239
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Yes, but we can pop our shirt buttons with pride knowing we never tank. Cough.
"winning culture"
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #240
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who needs Nolan Patrick when you can have 20 games of point per game UFA Wideman?

But in all honesty, it's still way too early to tank.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2017 nhl draft , 2017 nhl draft rankings , nhl entry draft