Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flames Goaltending

For next year...Kipper looks like he won't be back.

Currently in the system:

Kari Ramo - Likely to be signed and with the Flames next year
Reto Berra - Signed. NHL or AHL
Joey Macdonald - UFA, hopefully not back
Danny Taylor - UFA, AHL deal
Barry Brust - Not actually Flames property at all
Laurent Brossiot - Needs to be signed
Leland Irving - UFA? He needs to move on
Joni Ortio - Signed, Finland
Jon Gillies - College

With Kipper, Macdonald, Irving gone...there's one more guy the Flames need to go after. Anton Khudobin (Bruins backup), stellar numbers (some will say its cuz who he plays behind) but he's a talented goalie. Plays like Timmy T. He's a UFA and hitting prime goalie years. Doubt he'll go somewhere he's a backup.

So...

NHL - Ramo & Khudobin (split the duties) (Ready for NHL)
AHL - Berra & guy like Taylor (AHL deal only) (1 year away)
ECHL - Brossiot & someone to back him up (ECHL/AHL deal only) (2 years away)
Euro - Ortio (2 years away)
NCAA - Gillies (3 years away)

Thats 6 goalies in the system. One of them should turn out ok, no? please!
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The only goalie I have any type of faith/belief that they'll succeed is Gillies. Goalies are next to impossible to predict though so who knows.
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure Champ. Hopefully one if them turns into a solid starter though. Need someone to counter the incredible Iginla led offence of the mighty Pens.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Brossoit gets no love around here.

http://whl.ca/article/brossoit-named...ie-of-the-week

Quote:
Toronto, ON – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that Laurent Brossoit of the Edmonton Oil Kings is the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week after posting a 3-0-0-0 record with one shutout along with a goals-against-average of 0.67 and save percentage of .971 for the playoff week ending March 31.
Quote:
Selected by the Calgary Flames in the sixth round of the 2011 NHL Draft, Brossoit leads the 2013 WHL Playoffs with a goals-against-average of 0.76 and his save percentage of .968 is ranked second in the league.
Quote:
Brossoit allowed just two goals on 70 shots in the final three games of the top ranked Oil Kings’ first round WHL Eastern Conference playoff series against the Kootenay Ice backstopping the defending champs to a 4-1 series victory.
Personally, I hope that he plays 30-40 games for the Utica Whatevers next season. He had a pretty alarming hiccup in the Memorial Cup last season, but he had a hell of a run to get there (WHL Playoff MVP).

Just to clarify, I'm not saying I want or expect Brossoit to play in the NHL next season. I would like to see him given a role of some prominence (so long that he earns it in training camp) on the AHL team.

Last edited by Savvy27; 04-02-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Khudobin is an interesting fit because BOS has Svedberg who is younger and doing an excellent job as a rookie in the AHL waiting in the wings. Subban being in the system as well, but a ways away. Considering Age and contract value I can see them letting Khudobin go. Will be a hard contract to negotiate with such limited NHL experience. Probably considerably easier to land then bernier, bishop etc.

Given the history with the Bos system as well that kind of move wouldn't shock me at all.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ven27 View Post
The only goalie I have any type of faith/belief that they'll succeed is Gillies. Goalies are next to impossible to predict though so who knows.
that, we have to wait and see on all of them, who expected Kipper to become who he became. who knows. Let's give them all a chance before we hang them or Feaster.
trublmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
drPepper1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Brossoit starting tender for Flames next season
drPepper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I kinda think the Flames are lucky that they seem to have a pretty deep goalie pool. I don't know what other teams have, don't care either, but we seem ok
trublmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a direct knock on brossiot but expecting any goalie to make the jump from junior to an NHL regular in his first season is setting yourself up for disappointment. Would love to be wrong but not to many guys have done it with success.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Not a direct knock on brossiot but expecting any goalie to make the jump from junior to an NHL regular in his first season is setting yourself up for disappointment. Would love to be wrong but not to many guys have done it with success.
What is a full list of jumps like that? Off my head, all I've got is Price and Roy.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

All your 1st are belong to us.
All your goalies are belong to us.

In all seriousness, there is definite talent in the system. Flames are applying a 'shot-gun' approach, and one pellet will end up hitting the target. Mixed ages, mixed backgrounds and mixed pedigrees. There is nothing set in stone.

All the goalies (unsure about MacDonald - would like him retained, but we will see) will come in and compete for the starter and backup position (or even a 1A/1B position). Give them time. Flames are not competing anyways, and as long as there is depth and competition in the ranks, one will eventually make himself available. Goalies are so hard to predict, that often 'cast-offs' turn into premier Vezina winning starters. Flames fans should know this very well with sending away one for peanuts (Giguere) and obtaining one for peanuts (Kipper).

I am not familiar with Berra. I am barely familiar with Ramo. Brossoit, however, will not start in the ECHL unless he has an enormous meltdown. He will be penciled in as the Heat's backup - even might be penciled in as the starter there, who knows.

One of these goalies might surprise this season and steal the show, and be a legitimate starter. One may grow into that role during the season, or in the next couple of seasons. Still, another can be made available from another organization. Flames are not competing next season, so they do have time to find the right fit. I don't cross out someone like Ramo or Berra from being a legitimate starter, or even someone like Ortio or Brossoit. Only time will tell how this pans out. Fans just need to be patient with it, especially during a rebuild.

My biggest fear is that a few goalies start, have some bad games (being rookies and all), and start getting some bronx cheers if things don't go well soon enough. That will rattle anyone, and it is tough to recover from that.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Khudobin is interesting. Looks like he has done well everywhere he has played. Could be the next Craig Anderson just needing an opportunity. Would rather have him and one of Ramo/Berra than just those two.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
kingkahuna
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I don't know what the team's plans are but wouldn't Macdonald be worth keeping around as an AHL goalie or a back-up?
kingkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #14
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
What is a full list of jumps like that? Off my head, all I've got is Price and Roy.
I believe MAF did it as well I think..hard pressed to find others off the top of my head.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Khudobin should probably be our biggest target in FA (along with Clarkson if he hits the market).

None of the guys we currently have, have done anything at the NHL level, minus Macdonald, but its clear he is an NHL backup.

If we get Khudobin we know hes won some games in the NHL, and then hopefully one of Ramo/Berra proves he can be a 1b or a backup.

Then of course we hope that Gillies develops and will be ready right as our rebuild is complete. Rock. Solid. Plan.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
Steve Mason only played 3 games in the AHL. It's a short list, that's for sure.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #17
manilow78
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Bernier Bernier Bernier

I know I will take heat but I would give LA anything they want for Bernier. I would part with either Glencross or Gio if that is what it would take. The rebuild is happening and the first two critical pieces in my mind are getting Bernier out of LA and getting Jones in the draft. I would love to sell lower 1st round picks to get Drouhin as well but to do it right you work from the net out unless you want to go the Edmonton route and keep taking the best forwards every year. Dumb! They finally got a stud defenseman in Schultz but they still don't have the goalie and so no playoffs yet and they are already likely to have to sell off some forward talent they will no longer be able to afford. GET BERNIER NOW JAY!!!
manilow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #18
jesters91
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can't recall where I read it - so take it for what it's worth - but I read that Khudobin isn't planning on returning to the NHL next season and will be heading to the KHL. Boston not worried since they have pegged Svedberg as the backup to Rask for next season.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #19
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Draft as many goalies as you'd like (in later rounds) and let god sort them out.

Look at Nashville, San Jose and the LA Kings. Goalie factories in recent years. They don't focus on one guy, they draft and develop them and let the cream rise to the top. That's exactly what the Flames should be doing.

For this upcoming season, it's not a big deal, maybe a guy like Ramo can step up, who knows, that would be okay for a season or two too.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #20
jesters91
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If the rumor of a possible swap with Ottawa involving Glencross for Bishop are remotely true I like the idea of a Ramo / Bishop tandem to start next season.