Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #141
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
Hearing that VGK touched base with the Kris Russell camp though nothing serious at this point. VGK will check in with several UFAs...
LV will have a lot of 4-5 defencemen available that are (a) cheaper, (b) younger and (c) under contract. If they are looking for an older UFA defenceman I'm betting it will be an Engelland type.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #142
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm curious to see if VGK take a run at an RFA like Leon Driasitl. Why wouldn't they? they are going to be FLUSH with picks, and he could be a cornerstone to build on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #143
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
I'm curious to see if VGK take a run at an RFA like Leon Driasitl. Why wouldn't they? they are going to be FLUSH with picks, and he could be a cornerstone to build on.
That's a real interesting perspective.

By stockpiling picks through pre-arranged deals with teams, they may have the picks to target a few RFAs

Draisatal and Bennett gets you solid up the middle for the next 7 years.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #144
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
Like an offersheet?

He's protected.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #145
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's an RFA, is he not?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #146
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Like an offersheet?

He's protected.
He's protected from the draft, but Vegas can still offer sheet him after the draft like normal.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #147
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
He's protected from the draft, but Vegas can still offer sheet him after the draft like normal.
And he isn't going to be re-signed for quite a while because Chi-pete says he is going to negotiate with McDavid first. Draisaitl is a huge offer sheet target for any team that has offer sheet assets. At the very least it will drive up Draisaitl's contract and limit Edmonton's cap space.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #148
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Offer sheet must be your own picks, but yeah they will have lots of picks outside their own.
Draisaitl will get offer sheet(s), but I kind of doubt he signs one. The Habs are a good candidate as well, assuming they have their own picks, which I think they do.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #149
Baaarrden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not sure if it has been discussed recently, but it seems that anyone who was worried about Edmonton getting a top 4 D man for Eberle might not have to be so worried.

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-w...vegas-1.782732

Quote:
Last week, David Staples of the Edmonton Journal wrote that in summary of Jordan Eberle rumours from NHL Insiders, one could deduce that the return for Eberle will not be a top-six forward or a top-four defenecman.

Instead, the Oilers are likely to receive a cheaper forward, likely a winger, who possesses less skill than Eberle.

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty
I keep coming back to Eberle to Dallas for No. 3 C Cody Eakin, who makes $3.8 mil if Oilers looking to add good, cheaper player
Hopefully if something like this goes down, Eakin doesn't rebound from the terrible season he had last year to produce anywhere close to what he did in the three prior years. I'm also not too stoked about the cap space it would free up for Edmonton to be able to go after someone else in free agency.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #150
Baaarrden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Offer sheet must be your own picks, but yeah they will have lots of picks outside their own.
Draisaitl will get offer sheet(s), but I kind of doubt he signs one. The Habs are a good candidate as well, assuming they have their own picks, which I think they do.
Just out of curiosity, if a team had already traded away the draft pick(s) that would be required for an offer sheet, could they compensate by sending equivalent future draft picks or would they just not be permitted to offer sheet that player?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:05 AM   #151
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baaarrden View Post
Just out of curiosity, if a team had already traded away the draft pick(s) that would be required for an offer sheet, could they compensate by sending equivalent future draft picks or would they just not be permitted to offer sheet that player?
They would have to reacquire those traded picks before they'd be allowed to sign an offer sheet. We have seen this happen in the past.

In order to sign a player to an offer sheet, you must have the required compensatory draft picks available. They must be your own picks and they must be in the next closest upcoming draft(s).

That means, if you sign an offer sheet in July 2017 where the compensation is 4 first round picks, they must be your team's own first round picks in 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021. If you sign an offer sheet in July 2017 and the compensation is a first, second, and third round pick, they must be your team's own first three picks in the 2018 Draft.

There are no exceptions to the compensation rules.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #152
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having to surrender their OWN 1st rounder(s), for Draisatl, I think keeps Vegas/McPhee away. Huge unknown into where they finish, and could very well end up surrendering a top 3 pick.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #153
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Could not, it has to be your own picks.

When Burke wanted to put pressure on Boston to trade them Kessel, he had to get his own 2nd round pick back from Chicago (so he could threaten a offer sheet). Chicago held him to ransom to some extent, getting Calgary's 2nd round pick in the trade (which they used to draft Brandon Sadd).

I doubt that Vegas will give up 4 first round picks at this stage of its career.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #154
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here are the compensation levels for RFA offer sheets this year (go to #28):
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...d-dubas-leafs/

Code:
Average Annual Value		Compensation
Under $1,295,572		Nothing
$1,295,572-$1,962,986		Third-round pick
$1,962,987-$3,925,975		Second-round pick
$3,925,976-$5,888,960		First and third-round picks
$5,888,961-$7,851,948		First, second and third-round picks
$7,851,949-$9,814,935		Two firsts, second and third-round picks
Over $9,814,935			Four first-round picks

Any team trying to get Draisaitl would probably fall into the second or third-highest compensation levels. If they really wanted to squeeze the Oilers, a five-year $7.85 million AAV offer would be the way to go.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #155
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Any team trying to get Draisaitl would probably fall into the second or third-highest compensation levels. If they really wanted to squeeze the Oilers, a five-year $7.85 million AAV offer would be the way to go.
Yeah... but no one will (although many teams should).
Old 06-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #156
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure if it has been discussed recently, but it seems that anyone who was worried about Edmonton getting a top 4 D man for Eberle might not have to be so worried.

Hopefully if something like this goes down, Eakin doesn't rebound from the terrible season he had last year to produce anywhere close to what he did in the three prior years. I'm also not too stoked about the cap space it would free up for Edmonton to be able to go after someone else in free agency.
Don't know why Oilers wouldn't be all over something like this. It frees up cap space and they've shown they can play well and win playoff games with Eberle as a non factor.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #157
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

7years at 9.8mill would be awesome. Oilers would be very hard pressed to match, and eats into vegas' cap room going forward (don't forget they are in our division). Edmonton receives a couple firsts a second and 3rd.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #158
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Yeah... but no one will (although many teams should).
There's really no point. Edmonton re-signs him no matter what and by and large, most GM's aren't looking to just inflict damage on their peers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #159
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
7years at 9.8mill would be awesome. Oilers would be very hard pressed to match, and eats into vegas' cap room going forward (don't forget they are in our division). Edmonton receives a couple firsts a second and 3rd.
All offer sheets over 5 years are still considered only 5 years for compensation purposes, so that contract would cost four 1st round picks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #160
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Looking at what plagued Dallas for the last three years, could they acquire a player that helps them deal with that less than Jordan Eberle?
Closed Thread