Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Lucky bastards.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #22
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

IDK I come from a time when many games weren't even televised so I have a hard time being too upset about RSN
Old 06-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #23
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
IDK I come from a time when many games weren't even televised so I have a hard time being too upset about RSN
While I agree slightly with this sentiment, the one thing that is annoying is the obvious production value. RSN has terrible sound/Audio issues and mediocre at best HD feeds.

TSN wins hands down when it comes to quality of the product.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #24
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Was a terrible move by management to sign a 10 year deal back then. Canadiens deal comes up every few years and I'm sure keeps going up and up. Meanwhile the Flames (and Oilers) are back getting paid 2010 dollars. Will be a double whammy if the rights bubble pops before the deals end and the Flames get the short stick on the deal again.
I believe they did so because the writing was on the wall about Winnipeg getting a team back the next season and they both wanted to get locked in with Sportsnet rather than being the odd-man out fighting for a rights deal with the Jets too. It would be virtually impossible for SNW to handle covering all three of the Oilers, Flames, and Jets.

Remember, at the time, TSN didn't have all the extra channels they have now, so they weren't really involved in the regional-rights game. Heck, even for the first three years, people in the Jets region had to pay an extra fee to get the TSN-Jets channel.

At the time, no one could have anticipated that TSN would lose the national rights and go hard after the regional rights as a result.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #25
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Was a terrible move by management to sign a 10 year deal back then. Canadiens deal comes up every few years and I'm sure keeps going up and up. Meanwhile the Flames (and Oilers) are back getting paid 2010 dollars. Will be a double whammy if the rights bubble pops before the deals end and the Flames get the short stick on the deal again.
The Canadiens are the Canadiens. The Flames are a small market team with crappy ratings. They wouldn't have much leverage to ask for more money every three years.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #26
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I believe they signed matching 10 year deals starting with the 2010-11 season. If that's correct, there's still 3 years left.
Horrible timing heading into the 2020 lockout.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #27
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is official, TSN now has the Habs regional television contract.

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-becomes-official-english-language-regional-broadcaster-for-habs-1.777777
http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/tsn-becomes-official-english-language-regional-broadcaster-of-the-montreal-canadiens-with-multi-year-agreement/

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #28
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
The Canadiens are the Canadiens. The Flames are a small market team with crappy ratings. They wouldn't have much leverage to ask for more money every three years.
Its not like sports TV ratings are going up but the dollars have gone way up. No one is saying they'd get the same money that the Canadiens are getting but they'd be getting a lot more than they are getting right now.

EDIT: Senators are getting over $30m/year for their package - http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/29/...e-for-practice

Last edited by PeteMoss; 06-13-2017 at 06:41 PM.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:53 AM   #29
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV4 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does TSN not have?

Canucks, Flames, Coilers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Jets, Leafs, Sens and now Habs
The Leafs regional contract is shared between Sportsnet and TSN.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its not like sports TV ratings are going up but the dollars have gone way up. No one is saying they'd get the same money that the Canadiens are getting but they'd be getting a lot more than they are getting right now.

EDIT: Senators are getting over $30m/year for their package - http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/29/...e-for-practice
Wow. I wonder how the Flames deal is in comparison. I have a feeling it's not in that range.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:30 AM   #31
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I can't find a link but thought the flames regional tv deal was up soon? Though I think the flames and oilers had matching deals with SN so we'll probably get hosed because of the lotto losers, tsn will bend over trying to get mcdavid and the flames will not be the big prize.
Yep, the Flames regional deals for tv and radio are up in 2020. Here's the link, http://blog.fagstein.com/2017/05/29/could-canadiens-games-be-moving-to-tsn/
Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 AM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
Yep, the Flames regional deals for tv and radio are up in 2020. Here's the link, http://blog.fagstein.com/2017/05/29/could-canadiens-games-be-moving-to-tsn/
Not sure if it's good or bad that the Oilers and Flames rights are up at the same time. There's no doubt both networks will be more interested in the Oilers because they get better viewership numbers and of course McDavid. Rogers may try harder to keep the Oilers which may be a good thing if that leaves TSN for the Flames. As for radio I'm sure 960 will retain the rights.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:03 AM   #33
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I can understand if it's like the Rogers national contract where the NHL would take the money and run in a once in a lifetime contract but I'm not sure why the Flames and Oilers felt it was a great idea to lock in for a decade. Maybe there's some animosity towards TSN by the two organizations?
I'd say there's animosity to TSN by the way they treated the teams when TSN had the national contract. Remember those Wed. games or other exclusive nights that weren't televised even though a doubleheader could have happened. Add the fact that those games could have been on PPV or SN instead, but, TSN did not allow that.