Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #41
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best music decade was the 70's. Rock, funk and yes, I like disco. I'm sure that's hella unpopular around here.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:06 PM   #42
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listen to Trad. He knows of what he speaks.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #43
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I dont think The Who are even close to the same league as the Beatles or The Stones.

I cant stand The Kinks except for like 3 early songs. Lola makes me rage.

Nirvana only has three good songs.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #44
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

-Elton John's music is so boring to me
-Justin Timberlake is very talented and is one of the few pop artist I can stand.

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 04-05-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey_Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #45
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I drives me insane that the most popular hip hop artists are the ones with arguably the least amount of talent. Kanye, Jay z, Gambino, Drake and on and on... I give it a try, but they are all one hit wonders to me. I have a hip hop head friend that sends me Busdriver and Aesop Rock and that sort of thing that stops me from completely writing off the genre. Here is the difference in a nutshell :

Disco sounds brilliant compared to the disco wannabe pop music that is on the radio now.

Dave Grohl is an incredible guest drummer. One of the best mercenaries. But I agree, Foo Fighters are bland, outside of maybe one track an album.

Bruno Mars puts out Uptown Funk and everyone loses their mind. It's a mediocre funk song, and is popular because no one makes funk anymore. Music studio #######s, release some funk!

There is no revolutionary music anymore, and anytime an 'artist' finds a 'cause' I want to tell them to go suck a lemon. A pop singer putting out a song 'for the children' makes me hate children.

I can't stand any song where if you take away the lyrics, you can't tell what it is you are listening. to.

I can't listen to a rock band in a pub anymore. I walk out.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #46
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Manic Monday is a glorious tune that should be more appreciated
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #47
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Bruno Mars puts out Uptown Funk and everyone loses their mind. It's a mediocre funk song, and is popular because no one makes funk anymore. Music studio #######s, release some funk!
This, is the real "Uptown Funk:"

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:51 AM   #48
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
... A pop singer putting out a song 'for the children' makes me hate children...
You owe me a coffee and a bottle of Windex.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:47 AM   #49
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of the opinions in this thread aren't particularly unpopular.

Here...

Lady Gaga is the best live performer of the past ten years.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:13 AM   #50
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I can't stand Bob Dylan's voice. I don't understand how someone can hear Bob's voice and think to themselves "Oh yes, more of that please."
I don't think even Bob Dylan likes Bob Dylan's singing.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:23 AM   #51
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
My probably unpopular opinion is the opposite. Nirvana is the only good band to come out of that scene. Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, etc. have aged horribly. Pearl Jam at least has continued as a good live band, but their albums (especially their early '90s ones) are pretty forgettable.
The best bands of that era never really made it that big. Most of the ones that did, it was less about the music and more about the marketability of the image. It's funny looking back at it is seeing how badly people were duped into thinking there was a musical revolution where music was winning over image, but really it was just that the show business side of the music industry found a new image to sell. I do think that Nirvana stumbled into it without realizing, but most of the other bands that became popular through that scene were being groomed for it by producers and record execs.

Alice in Chains for example, was already semi-popular when grunge broke, but they were closer to being a spandex hair band. When the Seattle scene became all the rage, they quickly changed their image to ride that wave. Still a good band, but they really weren't doing anything different than what other rock bands before them were doing.

Pearl Jam was basically a concoction of their record label. They took some locally popular, semi-successful grunge musicians with street cred, and then set them up vocalist that had talent more in tune with mainstream radio and marketable looks. I actually like Pearl Jam and to their credit, they ended up shunning a lot of it in their later years.

Soundgarden was another one that was rough around the edges, but was selected for marketability over content. If Chris Cornell was a 300lb slob, I doubt Soundgarden would have been selected for promotion.

To be fair though, it's not just our generation that fell for it. The Beatles are the classic example of a band that was more about image than substance. There were other bands doing what they were doing, but didn't have the looks and attitude to sell to teenagers, especially young girls.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-06-2015 at 09:26 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:51 AM   #52
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snoop Lion (lol) has been phoning it in for the last 15 years. The only good verse he's dropped that entire time was the title track on Souls Of Mischief's 2014 album There Is Only Now. Everything else has been terribly forgettable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #53
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

-Sigur Ros
-Mumford and Sons
-The National

are the worst bands ever.

and I disagree with anything said about PF, LZ, or the Doors.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #54
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Snoop Lion (lol) has been phoning it in for the last 15 years. The only good verse he's dropped that entire time was the title track on Souls Of Mischief's 2014 album There Is Only Now. Everything else has been terribly forgettable.

While listening to Americaz Most Wanted over the weekend I couldn't help but think the same thing. He's basically a caricature of himself.

That being said, his assist on Kendrick's new album is pretty good.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #55
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
anytime an 'artist' finds a 'cause' I want to tell them to go suck a lemon. A pop singer putting out a song 'for the children' makes me hate children. .

Agreed, U2 are/were particularly heinous when it comes to this.

Anytime, I hear a music artist prattle on & on, I always listen to:

Music should be about the escape of the everyday.

While I am at it, my unpopulare opinion is that Hair/Glam Metal doesn't get the love it deserves. It produced some great sing along, fun time songs.

A fella like Kanye, could do with a Hair Metal Enema.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:50 AM   #56
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm not a huge fan of super-talented rappers (Andre 3000 and Kendrick Lamar) singing when they could be rapping instead. I don't mind it occasionally but I definitely prefer them to be rapping instead of singing.

Trap music sucks. There are maybe a dozen songs in the whole genre that are worth listening to.

I don't get EDM. I've tried to listen to it a few times but I just don't see what the fuss is about. Also, unless the EDM DJ playing the track is the person who produced it, he/she is basically useless.

U2 is garbage and I think Bono is an insufferable DB.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #57
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Except they're technically a "blues" band. They just played really loud.

I think you are safe to remove the qoutation marks.

LZ are a Blues Band, a loud/hard/at times fast/at times slow blues band.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #58
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Oh really?
IMO yes. Now, there are many great rock, alt rock, pop songs and songs in other genres that have done a great job blending analog and digital instruments and have created some awesome music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
-Justin Timberlake is very talented and is one of the few pop artist I can stand.
JT is the man but his last CD sucked balls. He needs to get rid of his Suit and Tie ####, tie ####.

FutureSex/LoveSounds was the best album of the 00's in my opinion. It was unreal.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #59
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
IMO yes. Now, there are many great rock, alt rock, pop songs and songs in other genres that have done a great job blending analog and digital instruments and have created some awesome music.

JT is the man but his last CD sucked balls. He needs to get rid of his Suit and Tie ####, tie ####.

FutureSex/LoveSounds was the best album of the 00's in my opinion. It was unreal.
FSLS I agree was the best, most consistent of his unfortunately limited discography. but on the 20/20 Experience, my favorite songs were the retro sounding ones (Pusher Love, Suit & Tie, That Girl, Take Back The Night). The whole album should have been in that theme/style. instead, all the rest of the songs on 20/20 to me sound like Timbaland farting for 7-8 minutes, just to get JT out of his album recording obligations as quickly as possible and back into making movies.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #60
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post

I'm not a Justin Timberlake, at least not his music (I am indifferent to him in films), but I think his singing talent is obvious. I'm just not a fan of his art... it doesn't speak to me or inspire me, which is what I think art is supposed to. If it does to other people, then great... I don't get it though.

It's like electronic dance music. I get that it is fun to dance, and dancing is a good way to meet members of the opposite sex, but nothing about the music itself seems artistically inspiring to me. I just don't get how anyone can listen to it outside of club or party situation. If dance music was a visual art, it would be like Ikea wall art and not a painted canvas.