Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #21
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm on Netflix via unblock US and haven't had issues with switching regions just yet.

For somebody far more understanding of the issues, does this mean that it is time to bail on the VPN subscription?

I just signed up for the annual subscription through unblock US without realizing that these supposed changes are coming from Netflix.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:12 PM   #22
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
The headline is a bit misleading, since in the article Netflix actually says, 'After users reported that their VPN connections were being blocked by Netflix, the company issued a statement saying that there was “no change” in the way it handles such connections, instead saying that it had always blocked VPNs when it could, and continued to do so.

“Netflix simply uses industry standard methods to prevent illegal VPN use,” the company said.'

So they may have simply changed something in their methodology which is now able to identify VPN use.
Or the normal things they do just happened to catch a few more users than usual, or this time the users were more vocal and it made it into media where normally it doesn't.

Either way the title seems accurate in that it's not a crackdown, a crackdown would be them increasing their efforts significantly.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:12 PM   #23
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Unblockus will refund any remaining yearly subscription if you cancel early.

I wouldn't bail, I would wait and see what Netflix is going to do. If all they are doing is forcing the google DNS then that can be overcome.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilyfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #24
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
For somebody far more understanding of the issues, does this mean that it is time to bail on the VPN subscription?

I just signed up for the annual subscription through unblock US without realizing that these supposed changes are coming from Netflix.
I doubt Netflix will be stepping up efforts its in their best interests to do as little as possible to satisfy the rights holders.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #25
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Or the normal things they do just happened to catch a few more users than usual, or this time the users were more vocal and it made it into media where normally it doesn't.

Either way the title seems accurate in that it's not a crackdown, a crackdown would be them increasing their efforts significantly.
Exactly. Or... Netflix helped get this info to the media in order to help fulfil their contractual obligations. "See, everyone! We're doing our best to fill the loopholes." Media latches on, pressure eases for a while from content providers, DNS/VPN services find new ways around it, etc.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #26
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm. Conspicuous Netflix update in the App Store today. Anybody know if this update is related? The version comments don't say a whole lot.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:53 PM   #27
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

More exclusivity in content providers and more restricted access through VPN as discussed in this thread... in concert with Netflix Canada offering such ####ty shows, might just honestly push me away from watching tv shows altogether.

Maybe a good thing really. I don't want to pay 4 different people to get access to 2-3 good shows each and then hoards of terrible waste of time tv I will never watch. #### off tv industry.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:15 AM   #28
Stranger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone else having trouble getting Netflix usa? I've had to log back in to my Canadian account. I can't find a DNS code that works anymore to watch US Netflix.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:18 AM   #29
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Anyone else having trouble getting Netflix usa? I've had to log back in to my Canadian account. I can't find a DNS code that works anymore to watch US Netflix.
DNS codes are really just piggy backing off providers who haven't locked down access to their subscriber base very well and are unreliable. Consider paying for a private VPN service. Some are affordable on special. I think I got SlickVPN on a $20/year deal during a sale.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #30
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I haven't had any issues with unblockus yet. Except for some reason my old Boxee won't log in when set to outside of North America.

On a side note, the British Netflix is really quite a lot better in terms of movie content.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote