Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #41
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Just about all the other secondary character are very strong. Strong secondary characters really help a show advance (textbook example: The Simpsons).
About this point, I have seen stuff where the creators say they really want to create a simpsons like town with people who just keep popping back up

Perd, Joan, the Tammy's, Jean-Ralphio etc.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #42
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

What I love about Ron is the balance the show has found for him to not make him so cartoonish. He never acts out of character, but his wisdom for Leslie and his growing friendship and mentorship with Andy, really gives the character heart.
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #43
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
About this point, I have seen stuff where the creators say they really want to create a simpsons like town with people who just keep popping back up

Perd, Joan, the Tammy's, Jean-Ralphio etc.
Kyle has to be one of my absolute favorite secondary characters. The town hall has a ton of great ones too, especially the "ham and mayonaise" chant guy.
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #44
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_1987 View Post
Kyle has to be one of my absolute favorite secondary characters. The town hall has a ton of great ones too, especially the "ham and mayonaise" chant guy.
Kyle is an excellent side character, just like Leonard from Community. They are almost the same character, just some random goofball that everyone hates and tells to shut up.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #45
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Get rid of that Tom Cruise looking turd and Rob Lowe. And revolve the show around Ronny Swanson.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #46
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Get rid of that Tom Cruise looking turd and Rob Lowe. And revolve the show around Ronny Swanson.
No.

Don't revolve the show around any one character. That was the downfall of The Office, it became the Michael Scott show. Parks and Recreation has an amazing ensemble cast of characters that is still growing, don't end that.

Adam Scott and Rob Lowe are fantastic too. Scott's nerdness is hilarious

"... they would never cancel Game of Thrones"
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #47
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
I disagree, Ron is a secondary character and should stay that way. If he was a primary character there'd be too much shtick shoved in our faces. Right now they handle the Ron character well.

I'm also a fan of Adam Scott (the Tom Cruise looking guy) and I think he handles the role well.

Parks & Rec is a show about Leslie Knope, and always should be. The characters revolve around her and her office.

Don't get me wrong I love Ron Swanson, and can watch his clips on YouTube for hours, but mostly because of how limited they are. Kind of like the Troy & Abed skits in Community. They're awesome but they shouldn't be an entire show. Think of how SNL movies tend to turn out when they stretch a funny skit into an entire movie, and that's only 90 minutes, not 528/season (22/episode with 24 episodes).

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #48
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
No.

Don't revolve the show around any one character. That was the downfall of The Office, it became the Michael Scott show. Parks and Recreation has an amazing ensemble cast of characters that is still growing, don't end that.

It’s a crossover hit! They’re telling human stories in a fantasy world.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #49
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the best Parks and Rec's last week...

Calculator? nice!

Rafi, OMG, The was sweet. "Might fire Eddie, dumb dumb Eddie has 2 kids. Treat him like you'd treat a person in another country that you paid $25000 to hunt." Rafi should get a show of his own.

Jerry/Gary not knowing they were suppose to come up with roles and the banner basically falling on him. Jerry is awesome!

John Rafio at the end! HAHAHAHA!
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #50
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed, this week's was great. Loved the appearance of Raffi from The League too, basically playing his same character from that show. So hilarious.

What happened with Ralfio at the very end? My stupid PVR always starts taping a few seconds too early and thus cuts off the final few seconds of P&R every week. Grinds my gears.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #51
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Agreed, this week's was great. Loved the appearance of Raffi from The League too, basically playing his same character from that show. So hilarious.

What happened with Ralfio at the very end? My stupid PVR always starts taping a few seconds too early and thus cuts off the final few seconds of P&R every week. Grinds my gears.
He made up a fake resume and took the job through a temp agency that Adam Scott (Ben) turned down (accountant for an accounting firm lol) after he told Ben to not take it...I'll try my best describe the scene since I cant find it online...

Manager: Welcome Mr. Severstein
Raffio: Thank you so much
Manager: I'll show you your cubicle
Raffio: I can't wait, I bet its a big one Barney
Manager: The temp agency says your fluent with Quickbooks Pro
Raffio: Oh ya, we should cover that, my resume might not be accurate so I have no idea what you're talking about, don't know what Quickbooks are
Manager: You don't have any accounting experience
Raffio: No, no, no, no Barney come on...
An office girl is now walking in front of them
Raffio: You don't have to have accounting experience to know this girl is a 10, Yo watup Diaz, you come here often..
Girl: to my job?
Raffio: Mouth on her also, shut it
Girl: Is this the new temp thats suppose to help me with the spreadsheets
Raffio: We'll talk about spreading sheets when we go back to my place and I'll rock your world
Manager: you're fired
Raffio: That majes sense so I go out the same way I come in

It was funny to me...
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #52
Bownesian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bownesian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bownesian For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #53
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jean Ralphio is the slimiest character in current television. The job interview was hilarious when he just left at the end, and the boss gets so pissed. The calculator joked had me in tears as well, the guy was just so happy about the joke.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #54
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahaha nice, thanks guys. Love Jon-Ralfio. My PVR cut it off right after she she replied "...to my job?" Does this every week, anyone else have this problem? Hate when shows can't get in sync like that.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #55
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Hahaha nice, thanks guys. Love Jon-Ralfio. My PVR cut it off right after she she replied "...to my job?" Does this every week, anyone else have this problem? Hate when shows can't get in sync like that.
They are making you PVR the whole 1.5 hours or whatever of shows so you don't feel like a goof when you miss it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #56
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the secondary characters are great. Jean Ralphio rhyming but always adding one too many words was hilarious.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #57
Bownesian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I record 10 minutes before and after every show and have eastern feeds for when I want to record something that starts on another channel right away.
Bownesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #58
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Yeah the secondary characters are great. Jean Ralphio rhyming but always adding one too many words was hilarious.
The way they keep adding these characters are great. The perfume guy interviewing Adam Scott was just hilarious.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #59
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^
Haha ya that's Rafi from The League, he plays pretty much the exact same guy on that show (minus being a perfume salesman). Love that guy, such a dirtbag.

May not be NSFW (language):
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #60
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
No.

I don't know why but I always read your posts picturing you having a Louis B. Hobson voice.

I suppose maybe you're right, you couldn't revolve the Office around Dwight but he's more integral than the main character. If you removed Dwight from The Office the show would be over, same as if Ron Swanson was removed from Parks and Rec. With that said, nobody would miss Tom Cruise guy or Rob Low.

Tom Cruise guy was added just to widen the audience to attract female viewers interested in a relationship angle. It takes away from the comedy in exchange for a broader audience but I'm ok with that as long as the show stays on tv.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote