Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #141
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Polak,

Have you written any original music? Care to post it? Maybe a copy of your SOCAN cheque?

Also, I LOVE your new commercial! When did you start endorsing boutique drum machines?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #142
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I never said there wasn't anything insanely impressive about what people in orchestra's can play. All I'm saying is that if you consider the 1st violin to posses immense artistic ability, then what do you have to say for the artistic mind that created the music that he/she is playing?
I can write for orchestra. Properly. I've done it many times. But I most certainly do not think I have a superior artistic mind to the finest players in the world. Quite the opposite, actually. Composing music is much easier than executing it, unless we're talking about the masters like Beethoven, Mozart, Stravinsky, etc.

Bottom line, you have no idea what you are talking about. In movies and television especially, and especially in the last ten years, composing music has never been easier.

Who's the superior mind when Bob Hartley draws up a play or a system? Bob Hartley, or the players for the Calgary Flames that make it work? Just like with a musical score, it is simply a set of instructions. The players are the ones that take those instructions and turn it into art. Same with the actors and a script.

If a band plays a show and there is nobody there to hear it, do they make a sound?

Last edited by Traditional_Ale; 04-13-2015 at 05:00 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #143
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I can write for orchestra. Properly. I've done it many times. But I most certainly do not think I have a superior artistic mind to the finest players in the world. Quite the opposite, actually. Composing music is much easier than executing it, unless we're talking about the masters like Beethoven, Mozart, Stravinsky, etc.

Bottom line, you have no idea what you are talking about. In movies and television especially, and especially in the last ten years, composing music has never been easier.

Who's the superior mind when Bob Hartley draws up a play or a system? Bob Hartley, or the players for the Calgary Flames that make it work? Just like with a musical score, it is simply a set of instructions. The players are the ones that take those instructions and turn it into art. Same with the actors and a script.

If a band plays a show and there is nobody there to hear it, do they make a sound?
This is the stupidest thing I have ever read.

What would those people be playing if they can't write music? A whole bunch of noise (i.e. Bumblefoot). What would those actors say if they didn't have a script?

Technical skill makes you a better artist but only if you're already creating your own quality work.

I've posted original music on here. I recently just received one of my songs back from being mastered. I'll convert it to MP3 and post it on here tonight.

But I digress as this thread isn't about music. I originally started this whole tangent discussing actors.

Last edited by polak; 04-13-2015 at 05:23 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #144
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What would those people be playing if they can't write music?
I don't quite follow.
?

Quote:
What would those actors say if they didn't have a script?
There isn't scripted dialogue for Trailer Park Boys and they seem to do just fine improvising based on a set of instructions or a synopsis, or even just talking with the director. And they're far from the best actors.

Quote:
Technical skill makes you a better artist but only if you're already creating your own quality work.
Are you suggesting the child taking up Violin at age three isn't becoming a better artist because they're not composing?

Moreover, can you still write without a computer? As in, pen to paper with a piano as a pitch reference? Because if you can't, you can be all "art" as you like but you do not have the technical skill to actually make art. Or in this case, the set of instructions required for an orchestra or ensemble (or even a single player) to make your instructions into art.

Quote:
I've posted original music on here. I recently just received one of my songs back from being mastered. I'll convert it to MP3 and post it on here tonight.
Awesome.

Quote:
But I digress as this thread isn't about music. I originally started this whole tangent discussing actors.
You made it about music when you brought up EDM. Again.

Last edited by Traditional_Ale; 04-13-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #145
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I don't quite follow.
?

There isn't scripted dialogue for Trailer Park Boys and they seem to do just fine improvising based on a set of instructions or a synopsis, or even just talking with the director. And they're far from the best actors.

Are you suggesting the child taking up Violin at age three isn't becoming a better artist because they're not composing?

Moreover, can you still write without a computer? As in, pen to paper with a piano as a pitch reference? Because if you can't, you can be all "art" as you like but you do not have the technical skill to actually make art. Or in this case, the set of instructions required for an orchestra or ensemble (or even a single player) to make your instructions into art.

Awesome.

You made it about music when you brought up EDM. Again.
Improv is creating scripts on the spot. That's not the same as regular acting.

Yes. I'm suggesting that they may have all of the talent in the world but they aren't artists until they create their own work. Kurt Cobain sucked donkey balls at guitar but #### me was he ever a better artist than 99% of guitarists in the world.

I didn't bring up EDM. At All.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #146
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Improv is creating scripts on the spot. That's not the same as regular acting.

Yes. I'm suggesting that they may have all of the talent in the world but they aren't artists until they create their own work. Kurt Cobain sucked donkey balls at guitar but #### me was he ever a better artist than 99% of guitarists in the world.
I think you're drawing a lot of hard lines in acting that simply aren't there.

Improv vs acting from script takes different talents no doubt, and personally I would say that pulling off good improv is probably the hardest thing an actor can do. But not all scripted acting is straight from the script. Those actors change words and phrasing in the scripts all the time. Some of Harrison Ford's scripts from Indy and StarWars have been seen online and they are just shredded with red pen. Leo DiCaprio cut his hand while doing a scene in Django and worked it into the scene, wiping the blood on the face of another actress. So wheres the line? Those guys aren't improv actors, but they are improvising/rewriting. Maybe because it suits the character they created more. Maybe because it just sounds better.

You may think those actors are few and far between but they're not. That stuff is pretty standard practice at all levels of theatre. How good it ends up being is an entirely different story.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #147
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Try ignoring the fact that Winter Soldier is a superhero movie, and rewatch it as a spy thriller. The thing that I liked about that movie was the change in tone from the Iron Man template.
Hmm, not sure if I really feel like watching WS again, but if I do I'll keep that in mind; I can definitely see some spy-thriller elements in it, but I also think those were part of the problem. To me, it was very interesting to have Rogers asking himself whether a government attempting to uphold peace will inevitably turn into the sort of fascist regime he had fought against during WWII. Captain America is such a goody-goody that some moral complexity was a really welcome addition to his story. Maybe my distain for W.S. comes from how much I liked this set up.
Then the realization that 'oh, it was just nazis all along' was among the lamest plot twists of any movie I can recall. Maybe for people who follow the comic-books more, the re-emergence of Hydra was exciting. For me it entirely deflated what was an interesting premise. No need for any moral ponderings when you're fighting evil personified. What was his Rogers' line? "If they're shooting at you, they're bad guys?" Yup, his world is simple, boring black-and-white again... leave the tough questions to the more intellectual super-heroes.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote