Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #1
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Help with beer description

I didn't want to interupt the most popular beer by country thread but I really need a beer geek/sommelier/aficionado to write a description of our new beer. It has just arrived at the AGLC for sale and I have no idea what to write. Wine tastes like grapes to me and beer tastes like bran muffins. I just don't get it. I so don't want to wade through the Ship crowd asking for opinions on beer. I'd really love an expert's help. If you know anyone, I've got beer...and t shirts.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 AM   #2
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the name of the beer? What kind of beer is it? What's the prize specifically?
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:48 AM   #3
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

The beer is Hell or High Water premium lager....it's lager but kind of different, aged significantly and a bit darker. The prize....whatever the pro demands plus a case of beer for whovever points me in the right direction.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
it's lager but kind of different, aged significantly and a bit darker
That would be pretty good right there.

Most people read beer flavor descriptions and end up saying "So... uh... it tastes like beer?"
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You can always rip off some descriptions from Beer Advocate. http://www.beeradvocate.com/

It's not like they are trademarked so if you see a description buried in the reviews of other beers that you feel captures the essence of your beer then I say, copy>paste my friend.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Tastes Great!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #7
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Make up a description based on the name?

Hell or High Water Lager will rip you away from typical beer expectations and float you down the river of satisfaction. Each can of Hell or high water lager will help to rebuild communities and is a great choice in rebuilding you after a long day at work. Drink a beer to the character and community that is symbolic of the Calgarians that inspired it.

Hell or High Water Lager. Give it a try and tell everyone what you think. *Facebook and twitter link provided*

DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Make up a description based on the name?

Hell or High Water Lager will rip you away from typical beer expectations and float you down the river of satisfaction. Each can of Hell or high water lager will help to rebuild communities and is a great choice in rebuilding you after a long day at work. Drink a beer to the character and community that is symbolic of the Calgarians that inspired it.

Hell or High Water Lager. Give it a try and tell everyone what you think. *Facebook and twitter link provided*

You're hired.

Quote:
You can always rip off some descriptions from Beer Advocate. http://www.beeradvocate.com/
Excellent suggestion. I was a bit hung up on honesty being the best policy. But it's just beer. All the springy, new, Saskatchewan hops and cold fermented, sparkle on the planet doesn't change that. And it really is about the charitable side and branding more than anything.

Thanks all. Maybe I'll post the winning "pedigree" and "description" later.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Tastes Great!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #10
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a pretty good description of beer:

CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #11
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Tastes Great!

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #12
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like a name that Minhas would use for one of his "beers".
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bring some by my office and I'll write something up for you.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #14
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's charity then I'll forgo any prize and accept a hand shake... Maybe a beer.

I'm not sure about using humor as the situation is quite serious and I don't want to make light of it. However, when disaster strikes, humor is a good healing tool.

When your car is floating down the river it's okay to have a six pack...
Our Pilsner is as refreshing and off colour as our humor. One dollar goes into disaster relief for each bottle (can) purchased - Hell or High Water.

For whatever floats your boat... Your truck... Your house...
Our Pilsner is as refreshing and off colour as our humor. One dollar goes into disaster relief for each bottle (can) purchased - Hell or High Water.

Supporting a charity is about sacrifice. One beer at a time.

When the water is running high, and you're stuck on a make shift island, it's nice to know that you have a few empty bottles lying around. Below is space to write your message.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #15
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beer. It doesn't flood sh*t and tastes good.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:10 PM   #16
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't want to interupt the most popular beer by country thread but I really need a beer geek/sommelier/aficionado to write a description of our new beer. It has just arrived at the AGLC for sale and I have no idea what to write. Wine tastes like grapes to me and beer tastes like bran muffins. I just don't get it. I so don't want to wade through the Ship crowd asking for opinions on beer. I'd really love an expert's help. If you know anyone, I've got beer...and t shirts.
Quote:
The beer is Hell or High Water premium lager....it's lager but kind of different, aged significantly and a bit darker. The prize....whatever the pro demands plus a case of beer for whovever points me in the right direction.
Quote:
You're hired.

Excellent suggestion. I was a bit hung up on honesty being the best policy. But it's just beer. All the springy, new, Saskatchewan hops and cold fermented, sparkle on the planet doesn't change that. And it really is about the charitable side and branding more than anything.

Thanks all. Maybe I'll post the winning "pedigree" and "description" later.
So how exactly does someone who apparenlty doesn't know much about/care about beer get into the beer selling business?

Also, out of curiosity, exactly what percentage of the sales of this beer go to charity/flood relief. Your website says a portion, and claims like that always kind of annoy me. Is it 20% or is it 1 cent per can. Cause that makes a big difference to me.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #17
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
So how exactly does someone who apparenlty doesn't know much about/care about beer get into the beer selling business?

Also, out of curiosity, exactly what percentage of the sales of this beer go to charity/flood relief. Your website says a portion, and claims like that always kind of annoy me. Is it 20% or is it 1 cent per can. Cause that makes a big difference to me.
I rarely know anything about anything before I do it. Not the sharpest marble. The charity is a dollar per case (a huge amount for on going charities in this business) but I can't say exactly that because I'm not sure if it will achieve charity status or not. If not, there are two options, give a dollar a case to a recognized charity, get the tax benefit and move along or, my preference, give .80 cents to whoever we want. I've spent a lot of time gathering flood stories and would really like to reach some people individually.

Quote:
When your car is floating down the river it's okay to have a six pack...

For whatever floats your boat... Your truck... Your house...

Supporting a charity is about sacrifice. One beer at a time.

When the water is running high, and you're stuck on a make shift island, it's nice to know that you have a few empty bottles lying around
Awesome. You've got launch party invites if you're in Calgary on June 20th.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #18
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nvm

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-24-2015 at 11:23 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote