Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #101
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Wouldn't we drink more non-alcohol beer if we really liked the taste of beer? We like beer because it delivers alcohol to our bloodstream. After 2 or 3, does the taste even matter?

Last edited by troutman; 03-24-2015 at 01:29 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #102
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well personally, I view it as either/or in my head because never in my life have I been "in the mood" for a Bud/Kokanee/Coors Light. The only time I'll drink one of those is if it's the only option. If more than one of those are my only options, I literally tell the bartender to grab me either, I have no preference and at that point it's basically just a tool to get a buzz going. I won't be enjoying the flavor of the beer.

That's why I just don't understand the concept of liking both. There is such a massive difference between those and even just one single step up. Stella for example. Nothing special, but miles ahead of a bud.

The only beer I think we can all agree is crappy that I have craved before is a Corona with a lime on a hot summer day. Sign me up for that. I don't know if it's just the idea of the cliche but sometimes that really hits the spot.

Oh and it's not that I'm a domestic/import snub. I hate Heineken probably more than I hate Budweiser. I really like Coors Banquet lately too. It's just that bottom shelf domestic I can't stand.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:26 PM   #103
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Wouldn't we drink more non-alcohol beer of we really liked the taste of beer? We like beer because it delivers alcohol to our bloodstream. After 2 or 3, does the taste even matter?
Just like Coffee and Caffeine, the alcohol is a very large part of the enjoyment of beer. If I'm not in the mood for alcohol, I'll get water.

Doesn't change the fact that I'd prefer my source of alcohol to taste better.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #104
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Wouldn't we drink more non-alcohol beer if we really liked the taste of beer? We like beer because it delivers alcohol to our bloodstream. After 2 or 3, does the taste even matter?
That would be fine if the non-alcoholic stuff didn't taste like watered-down rotten sparkling apple juice
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #105
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
troutman, i'm surprised to see you this simplistic.

Alcohol greatly alters the flavour of beer. The processes involved to mimic the obvious flavours of beer like malt and yeast without creating alcohol leaves a significantly inferior product.

Quote:
Food critic and writer Waverley Root described the common American near beer as "such a wishy-washy, thin, ill-tasting, discouraging sort of slop that it might have been dreamed up by a Puritan Machiavelli with the intent of disgusting drinkers with genuine beer forever."
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #106
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
troutman, i'm surprised to see you this simplistic.

Alcohol greatly alters the flavour of beer. The processes involved to mimic the obvious flavours of beer like malt and yeast without creating alcohol leaves a significantly inferior product.
Some of these scored well in tastings:

http://www.11points.com/Food-Drink/1...,_Taste_Tested

http://www.hitherandthither.net/2013...lic-beers.html

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/natio...eer-taste-test

We felt the best way to get our beer experts to critique N.A. beer exactly how they would a real beer was to force them to consider that they might actually be drinking real beer, and to judge it as such. And we chose Keystone Light because it's a mass-produced beer: It's one that wouldn't stand out like, say, a craft IPA. They judged the beer on aromas, flavor, and on whether they thought it was a real beer.

O'Doul's was far and away the best reviewed out of all the N.A. beers. It might only have a .5% ABV, but our experts thought it tasted like the real thing.

And how did the Keystone rank? It would've ranked right in the middle of the pack of the N.A. beers. Only two out of four experts thought it might be the real beer.

Last edited by troutman; 03-24-2015 at 03:55 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #107
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Well personally, I view it as either/or in my head because never in my life have I been "in the mood" for a Bud/Kokanee/Coors Light. The only time I'll drink one of those is if it's the only option. If more than one of those are my only options, I literally tell the bartender to grab me either, I have no preference and at that point it's basically just a tool to get a buzz going. I won't be enjoying the flavor of the beer.

That's why I just don't understand the concept of liking both. There is such a massive difference between those and even just one single step up. Stella for example. Nothing special, but miles ahead of a bud.

The only beer I think we can all agree is crappy that I have craved before is a Corona with a lime on a hot summer day. Sign me up for that. I don't know if it's just the idea of the cliche but sometimes that really hits the spot.

Oh and it's not that I'm a domestic/import snub. I hate Heineken probably more than I hate Budweiser. I really like Coors Banquet lately too. It's just that bottom shelf domestic I can't stand.
Have you ever had cheap, greasy pizza at a fast food place.. like Sbarro?

Delicious right?

But that high class, homemade everything pizza from a fancy pizza place or a local New York joint has everything much more crafted and tasty.

Both have their place, both taste great.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:56 PM   #108
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

After seeing that map I really do miss Brahma.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #109
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Have you ever had cheap, greasy pizza at a fast food place.. like Sbarro?

Delicious right?

But that high class, homemade everything pizza from a fancy pizza place or a local New York joint has everything much more crafted and tasty.

Both have their place, both taste great.
Bud is like little ceasers $5 garbage.
Something like Kieths or Rickards would be Panago.
Premium imports and craft beer would be your top pizza joints.

There's no place in this world for Little Ceasers.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #110
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Bud is like little ceasers $5 garbage.
Something like Kieths or Rickards would be Panago.
Premium imports and craft beer would be your top pizza joints.

There's no place in this world for Little Ceasers.

wrong

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote