Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #1
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Big Taste Calgary 2015

Looks like for this year it will be from March 6th to the 15th.

http://www.calgarydowntown.com/the-big-taste

Never went to one before but thinking of checking out Oceana. Seems like a pretty cool event for people to try out some new restaurants. For those that went in the past how were the menu options? and experience?
Kswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Went last year and it was neat, able to try all kinds of things you might not usually try. Almost everything I tried was great.

LOTS of people though, we went pretty early and by the time we left you could hardly walk, which makes browsing and eating a lot less fun. We said if we went again we'd go as early as we could.

And my biggest complaint with these kinds of things is no-where to sit down. They had stand-up tables scattered around but they were often right in the middle of isles so when things got busy they seemed more annoying than anything if trying to walk.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Went last year and it was neat, able to try all kinds of things you might not usually try. Almost everything I tried was great.

LOTS of people though, we went pretty early and by the time we left you could hardly walk, which makes browsing and eating a lot less fun. We said if we went again we'd go as early as we could.

And my biggest complaint with these kinds of things is no-where to sit down. They had stand-up tables scattered around but they were often right in the middle of isles so when things got busy they seemed more annoying than anything if trying to walk.
You are thinking of Taste of Calgary, which typically happens in the summer at Eau Claire. Big Taste Calgary is a time when various restaurants offer tasting menus for set prices.

I did one Big Taste menu at River Cafe once. It was amazing. Typically I couldn't afford to eat there, so it was a great bargain for lunch.
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Oops, I didn't know there was an event with almost the same name.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have ten reservations this year. Friday through the following Sunday. Should be nice and fat by the end.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

nice and poor too?!
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #7
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah. At $35 for a three course meal, it's incredibly reasonable, especially if you keep the booze bill down. I'll do a couple of the $65 menus as well, whole thing will come out somewhere in the vicinity of $500 per person. Considering the restaurants in question that's a killer deal. My meal at vintage for two last night was $250 on its own.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've done 3 so far (Fri Sat Sun) and thus far rank them as follows.

1. Vero Bistro
2. Bocce
3. Black Pig

All have been good in terms of quality, but Black Pig is one of those situations where if you're going to do a big taste menu, don't half-ass it. Don't give me half portions of three items on your regular menu reduce your food cost because the guest is paying $35 instead of the usual $50 for it. It doesn't reflect well on the establishment and this whole thing is about getting people to try your place and demonstrate "here's what we're about" during a period of the calendar where it's hard to fill your place up. This is particularly so for a new joint like Black Pig. If they weren't willing to do a real menu they should have just declined to participate at all, like Model Milk, NoTable, and others.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did the fondue at Laurier Lounge this weekend.

Everything was pretty good with the exception of their 'dipping sauces', basically 3 different versions of mayo which you're supposed to use with your meat and veggies. I would have preferred a nice mustard sauce or at least some form of variety. Oh well!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I stopped going to these last year. I found the portions to be just smaller versions of their big dishes. Not a deal, just ability to try smaller versions of multiple things. Chef's Table was the last straw as we were all starving after walking out.

I made a reso last weekend at Carino Reserva on 4th (did not participate). Spent $60/person tasting, and had an excellent 4 course meal that had both of us stuffed.

I think all those Taste events have become a marketing gimmick TBQH. They have people lining up to do it and adjust the portions accordingly to give the impression it is a good deal. No thanks.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I think all those Taste events have become a marketing gimmick TBQH. They have people lining up to do it and adjust the portions accordingly to give the impression it is a good deal. No thanks.
Personally I don't mind less food; too much for my gut to handle a 2000+ calorie 3 course dinner anyways.
And it gives me a chance to go to a higher end restaurant I normally would consider outside my price range; if I decide I like it then the bigger price tag when I come back will at least be know to be worth the price tag rather than paying big to "try" it.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:27 PM   #12
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

that's why it's called "Big Taste" and not "Big Portions". I don't think anyone should go into this type of event looking for great food value. just a few of them will set you and a companion back hundreds of dollars, and that's not even for the gourmet menus. if you truly care about value, the price of one night out could be used for an entire week's worth of groceries.

use it as an excuse to hang out with friends that you spend the rest of the year ignoring, and if you're lucky you'll find a new favorite for that special occasion later on.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #13
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some places actually have full sized portions. This is the main at Bocce, which was not only full sized but also delicious (I'd taken a couple bites before taking the picture). It's a giant beef shortrib. The person I was eating with didn't even finish it.

In contrast, here are the Black Pig courses. http://imgur.com/dFpDg3p&8L7oWgH&3GkTkcL&3TzrHEn

The dessert was actually a good portion, the main was about a half portion, the salad was like four tomatoes and some cheese.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #14
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished. I would say,

Best Overall Meal: Vero Bistro
Best Starter: Blink - Twice-Baked Cheddar Souffle
Best Main: Bocce - Braised Beef Short Rib (w/ polenta and jus)
Best Dessert: Blink - Lavender bavarois with black sesame cracker & burnt honey ice cream

They were all quite good this year. None of the meals were an outright disappointment, all money very well spent. If I had to pick a loser it would be Black Pig, for reasons set out above, but the food itself generally met expectations.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #15
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
that's why it's called "Big Taste" and not "Big Portions". I don't think anyone should go into this type of event looking for great food value. just a few of them will set you and a companion back hundreds of dollars, and that's not even for the gourmet menus. if you truly care about value, the price of one night out could be used for an entire week's worth of groceries.

use it as an excuse to hang out with friends that you spend the rest of the year ignoring, and if you're lucky you'll find a new favorite for that special occasion later on.
All just a philosophy thing I guess. For $35 I should have had a meal. If you leave hungry that is not a deal regardless. This is meant to be dinner out, not light appetizers out. I found some restaurants in past guilty of this, and looks like Black Pig was guilty too.

Great that folks are taking advantage, and in theory I think it is a great idea. However, if doing this is a way for the restaurant to advertise their fare, giving people small plates is a good way to ensure they see you as a bad deal for a full priced meal. I think it is actually worse than not participating. If the restaurant can't do a $35 three course with reasonable portions, either pick lesser ingredients/dishes, or don't participate.

Think of it this way. Chef's Table is a favorite of mine. I have done the $100 chef tasting a few times. It is actually very filling, high quality, and in my opinion good value. The $35 tasting I did there a few years ago was so small, we just complained about the sizing paid no mind to the food, and went and got food at wine bar after. The conversation at wine bar was my wife and I convincing our friends that the full menu was actually quite different.

I just think they need to standardize this in some way. Give basic minimums for food amounts or something. There should be no way Bocce is giving you a full meal, and Black Pig giving you light appetizers. It just looks bad on the restaurant and the event itself.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #16
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blink's menu actually consisted almost entirely of dishes pulled off their regular menu. The main I had was on the menu for $32 on its own.

In the case of Vero, the plates themselves were smaller portions for sure, but as it was a 5 course meal (plus a little plate of cookies and chocolates to go with your coffee after) I was still stuffed by the end. But if you really wanted a feast, they had multiple substitutions available for various courses for an additional fee - i.e., instead of one course on the prix fixe, you could sub in the Venetian seafood stew off their regular menu for an additional $15. Or, if you were getting the $35 menu with steak frites as the main, you could up the 8oz (IIRC) steak to a 12oz version for $15 extra.

That's a good way to give people the option if they want it.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #17
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
All just a philosophy thing I guess. For $35 I should have had a meal. If you leave hungry that is not a deal regardless. This is meant to be dinner out, not light appetizers out.
I think enforcing a standard amount of food for the $35 menus would be tough, but you are right about the frustration when you've plunked down the cash and leave a restaurant unsatisfied. For example, I went to Taste in Hotel Arts (it's never a good sign when the first quote on your home page says "It's definitely a hipster spot") and the Big Taste items were weird and puny. the people we were with got that, while I ordered off the regular menu and had a much better experience. but overall, we discovered it's basically a very expensive tapas joint and they did not gain a repeat customer, nor helpful word of mouth.

compare that to Living Room, where I left happily full of chicken and swine meat for the same price. that's a place that took advantage and will earn repeat business and positive recommendations.