Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2024, 12:17 PM   #1281
Rikster
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Lol. No. He made a killing.
The first will be in the 20's and the draft is expected to fall off a number of picks before then.

Kuzmenko has 8 goals and 21 points, doesn't drive play and unlike last year when he was on the first unit powerplay and playing a regular shift alongside EP, is now on a Flames team which doesn't have the same skill as the Nucks.

And I'm not sure why Kuzmenko would want to resign after next season?

Jurmo has to be resigned this June, and if he makes the NHL is expected to be a 5/6 depth type player

Like the 1st, the 4th rounder will be picked later in the round.

Bruzustewicz might turn out to be a NHL player.

What the Canucks didn't give up was any of their prized prospects or young roster players which I assume is what Conroy was seeking.

The first was always on the table and the number of other lessor assets Conroy picked up suggests that he couldn't get quality so he went with quantity.
Rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:18 PM   #1282
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
OMG, stop being so reasonable. The WUUUUUURST!

I mean, go through the trade rumours thread. I've been saying this deal since two weeks ago. The only thing that changed was Allvin changed his stance on trading a non-professional prospect. I expected us to (and dreaded) lose Podkolzin. I am honestly much happier with this deal than I would have been.

I'm not being reasonable. I'm gloating I was so much smarter than all of you and called this deal two weeks ago.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 12:19 PM   #1283
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post

Not sure if this has been posted yet...

Jurmo is only 21 and has been playing against men in the SM-Liga. Depending on his contract situation, I could see him in a Wranglers uniform next season. The farm needs D.
Hopefully, one day, the Flames can say to him "Joni, Jurmo than we were ever hoping for."
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 12:19 PM   #1284
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I like that the speculation is that the Canucks begrudgingly threw in that 4th/3rd last minute to seal the deal.

Yes, that is how we do business with these guys. Squeeze every asset you can.
It also lines up to what Conroy said in his interview with Steinberg where he did a play-by-play (surprise, surprise!) providing a lot of details around the last week, and he mentioned that on the day of the trade, "he (Allvin) came with his best offer, I maybe asked for a little more back, he added one little piece, the condition that if they go to the western conference final then I'll, instead of the 4th, I'll get a 3rd...".
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 12:20 PM   #1285
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
Don't listen to me tho, I thought he'd hang on to Lindholm until after the All Star break so all the GM's could get a look at him with their star...
Interetstingly enough, Lindholm was not even slated to compete in a single Skills event. I wonder if that will change now that he's no longer a "dirty Calgary Flame."

https://www.nhl.com/news/topic/nhl-a...eups-announced
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:22 PM   #1286
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindholm is genuinely playing like $5M dollar player this season.. maybe 6. More or less to the value of his current contract.

I don't see him re-signing there because his camp purportedly want a lot for an extension and it will certainly be more than the Canucks can dish out (just as it was too rich for the Flames).

He'll get a 7x7 with an American team somewhere this summer, I'd wager.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:23 PM   #1287
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikster View Post

For clarity, if the pick remains a fourth, we get the higher of Vancouver's or New Jerseys pick and Jersey may not make the playoffs.

Doesnt really change what you are saying, just wanted to clarify the point.
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:23 PM   #1288
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

For my money I want to see Vancouver go to the finals game seven and lose in overtime. That would be the best of both worlds - getting a third rounder and having a super pissed rival.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:24 PM   #1289
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I like that the speculation is that the Canucks begrudgingly threw in that 4th/3rd last minute to seal the deal.

Yes, that is how we do business with these guys. Squeeze every asset you can.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 12:24 PM   #1290
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

How important was it to the Canucks to get rid of Kuzmenko's contract?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:24 PM   #1291
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Why do the Flames care about cap space next year though? Kuzmenko is the type of UFA signing I would want to them take a swing at. Shoter term over pay and hope to flip the next deadline. Keeps spots open for Tanev, Hanifin, and a retention deadline deal.
The big use the Flames have for cap space next year is for this summer to take the other side of something like the Monahan trade. That cap hit might be worth a first then, vs now when it looks more like the 2nd year of Kuz got them the conditional 3rd/4th.

I'm not saying it was a bad trade, but taking Kuz is almost certainly more valuable to the Canucks than retaining on Lindholm would have been.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:25 PM   #1292
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
The first will be in the 20's and the draft is expected to fall off a number of picks before then.

Kuzmenko has 8 goals and 21 points, doesn't drive play and unlike last year when he was on the first unit powerplay and playing a regular shift alongside EP, is now on a Flames team which doesn't have the same skill as the Nucks.

Jurmo has to be resigned this June, and if he makes the NHL is expected to be a 5/6 depth type player

What the Canucks didn't give up was any of their prized prospects or young roster players which I assume is what Conroy was seeking.

The first was always on the table and the number of other lessor assets Conroy picked up suggests that he couldn't get quality so he went with quantity.

These are all things the Flames traded for, yes. What did you expect an underperforming UFA with a history of good play to get?

Conroy did supremely well here. So did Allvin. This is what you call "A good trade"

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 12:25 PM   #1293
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Jilted ex-lover syndrome.

As to the bolded: LOL
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 12:25 PM   #1294
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
To clear 5.5 next year? Very.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:25 PM   #1295
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
"Would like to, but don't have to"
Quote:
To clear 5.5 next year? Very.
This is an exaggeration.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 02-01-2024, 12:27 PM   #1296
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The control group is the null hypothesis, not the opposite.

The control group is all teams. If cup-winning teams have more R-shooting Cs than the population at large, then there is a case to be made that R-shooting Cs are helpful

Also, I don't think we can assume that it is evenly distributed among positions because, with fewer righties, they tend to end up as RW and R-Ds
Fair. And yeah, I don't think we can make the assumption either but there's no tidy dataset to use to quickly analyze this.

People will complain about it too. For example, Treliving acquired Lindholm. Peters used Lindholm as a RW and Sutter used Lindholm as a C. So, did we have a RH C the whole time, none of the time, or part of the time? If coaching decisions trump management decisions then it becomes difficult to evaluate the goals of management.

Jackets used Laine at C at one point. Does that mean Laine is a C for the purposes of this exercise?
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:27 PM   #1297
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Very, because they are facing a huge raise for Pettersson
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 12:27 PM   #1298
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was, infact, the Horvat with a division tax of a long shot prospect and a later round pick. The Canucks got a better pick and a prospect higher up on the trading team's prospect rankings but that is more to do with the fact NYI had a dearth of prospects. Also because Horvat was playing out of his mind.

It was the deal the Canucks were comfortable making and a deal the Flames needed.
Yeah, double edged sword if Lindholm was pacing the same as Horvat. I think they would have gave him a stupid contract unless he refused and just moved up his number.

Start of a new direction for the Flames
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:28 PM   #1299
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, go through the trade rumours thread. I've been saying this deal since two weeks ago. The only thing that changed was Allvin changed his stance on trading a non-professional prospect. I expected us to (and dreaded) lose Podkolzin. I am honestly much happier with this deal than I would have been.

I'm not being reasonable. I'm gloating I was so much smarter than all of you and called this deal two weeks ago.
Lindholm will do really well for the rest of the year he's there. You want no part of his contract ask though.

Pettersen will pump up his stats.

Hopefully he brings you guys some success because I doubt he sticks around.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:28 PM   #1300
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

dude Lindholm has 9 goals playing top line minutes haha

this guy, "couldn't get quality"