Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Playing with Fire: Hockey In the Virtual World
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #221
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by likwid888 View Post
Which is the reason why there is a club for players who want to play competitively and get satisfaction from being an elite team, and one for players to just have fun and not care about things like positioning.
Fair enough. I wish the Fatas well. Don't mind me too much. I'm just initially bitter no longer being a member of a team I have been with for four years.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #222
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
It's a video game. Not worth being under constant scrutiny for. Let's say you make it to 10th place overall in the entire EASHL. You get the same prize I do- being able to sit in one's basement and play a video game. This whole philosophy is silly, and it cultivates sour feelings, not fun. I understand having a desire to win, but this is completely not worth it for a video game.

In 09, we had so much fun. In 11 and 12, positioning has been more scrutinized than it is in the kama sutra :P.
It's a video game yes, and the objective is entertainment, but having a great number of distinct people yield different opinions on what type of gaming experience they're looking for. In 09, everyone was good with playing with any type of player since it was a new experience that was fun. Once that wore off though is when the development of wanting to do something different from the status quo begun to yield itself.

Some players didn't care how others play at all and still had fun, but some others did since they wanted to be able to play their own game properly rather then having to compensate for someone else, which wasn't fun to them. To be quite blunt, playing with certain players for some wasn't fun since their play was quiet off tangent from the rest which as a result teammates have to adjust their play to cover for them. Thus, some players stopped playing with the club because they wanted to play the game for fun.

It's impossible to appease to everyone since there are so many of us that are looking for a different experience from the game. If nothing changed and status quo continued it was likely that more and more of the active players would be playing club games less and less, because they want to play with players that allow them to play their game without having to adjust to cover for a player that is underskilled. They weren't getting that under the previous format since anyone could play.

It's not so much that we want to be EASHL Champs. It's a lofty goal to aim for to give ourselves a reward, but the majority of the active players want to play with players of like minded nature so they'll always have an enjoyable experience win or lose. I don't think any of us would care much if we lose 10 games straight. It's about playing with players that we enjoy games with because they're fun to have as a teammate. This is a fun experience for all that are involved. Since those are the players that play on the club most often and are skilled enough, it unfortunately alienates those that don't play that often or just don't match up skill wise. But this change was made to appeal to the side that plays the game the most.

Last edited by Joborule; 10-02-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #223
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

And that's fine, just don't B.S us with this try out crap...you have your guys you wanna play with, and those lines were set as soon as you decided to close the team.

Just being honest and not inviting us to begin with would have been the best way to do it instead of giving people false hope. Ya it's just a game, but playing EASHL is pretty much the only reason I buy the game every year.

Thankfully there's lots of games coming out in the next few months to distract me.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #224
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Everyone is welcome to tryout. As a matter of fact 3 people who tried out are now on the team so it is far from BS. Spike you are more then welcome to try out, Diverce had to so did Flash, Koop, Dobbles, Shick etc. The tryouts make for a fair way to pick the team and allow the team to be competitive.

The current team was picked due to compatibility and participation. It is a video game and it should be fun, trying to find a way to make 16 people happy is near impossible. Creating a competitive team and having like minded people who want to play competitively vs casually allows them to have fun, Just like creating a casual team would make the casual players have fun.

I understand that some people are angry but there is 2 sides to each story.

Kip I noticed your comments about the playoffs last year. I want to paint you a picture from the other side:

The "evil" roster players play 95% of the games each month then get excited to play playoffs because of all the time they put in. Then the "casual" I show up 1-2 times a week player comes in and complains that they should get to play playoffs. Yes its a team and everyone should play but playoffs are the reward for time spent in this game and those that play the most should get the reward otherwise there is no point.

I have only been with the Fatas since NHL09 so there is certainly more people who have played longer then me but on the other side of the coin there is only one player who has played more games then me for the Fata's.

This decision was not made to single people out or to make some people angry.
I am not trying to cause issues here I am just having a hard time understanding the posts in the last few days with people being angry about not being on the team or being cut when all it takes is to try out for the team and take it from there.

Last edited by Diemenz; 10-02-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #225
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
And that's fine, just don't B.S us with this try out crap...you have your guys you wanna play with, and those lines were set as soon as you decided to close the team.

Just being honest and not inviting us to begin with would have been the best way to do it instead of giving people false hope. Ya it's just a game, but playing EASHL is pretty much the only reason I buy the game every year.

Thankfully there's lots of games coming out in the next few months to distract me.
This isn't true. The players list wasn't established until Thursday night. The only people who we're established from the start are the GMs on the team whom have the ability to add players to the roster. If there was no point in giving two week tryout notice then I would've just announced on the final day that the team is closing off and just removed you guys like an ass.

I did give you guys an indiction on what type of skill level we expect from the players on the team. I even wrote up a tips post to give you guys an idea of what er're looking for. We're offering you guys the ability to come to us to tryout for the game, and we're going to provide constructive feedback on how you performed and improvements that can be made. There is no biased against keeping players off the team. All we want is players that are good skilled teammates. If players that didn't fit that criteria currently do so in a tryout in the future, they'll be added to the team.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #226
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime_On_Flames View Post
heyyy congrats to the guys that made it. I don't know what grading system you're using or what merit you need to make the club but I thought I had a pretty good showing in the games i've played (which are a lot!). I played in every one of the teams wins in the playoffs. I don't know what else I could have contributed. I'm not gonna cry over spilled milk.
Hi funk, you played very well with us. The decision to put someone on the team is a team decision and we have not received all the feedback necessary to make that decision. I strongly suggest trying out this week so the others that did not get a chance to play with you see how you play, I am more then confidant in saying if you play the same way you have an extremely good chance of being on the roster.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #227
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I get that. The divide still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I guess I would want to try out, but wouldn't getting on to a team with 8-10 players limit the amount of games that could be played, compared to having a larger roster? You've seen me play since 09, and you know my weak points. That being said, I have really improved this year, getting a point a game in eashl/otp.

I don't know what I want to do. Essentially, I can try out, sure. But I'm willing to bet if you want me on the team, I would have been there in the first place, because you know me as a player.

Hmmmmm...what to do, what to do?

Last edited by Kipper is King; 10-02-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #228
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I blame everything on the change to a single dressing room.
The Following User Says Thank You to Human Torch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #229
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Its only a divide if its treated that way. Several of the players have said they wanted to make another account to play with the casual team as well because they like the players.

Again this decision was not made over who likes who it was made over who plays cohesively as a team at a competitive level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I blame everything on the change to a single dressing room.
I blame everything on Yellow
The Following User Says Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #230
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Understandable but keep in mind it isn't anything personal and was a difficult decision to make. As we've acknowledge before this is something that has been talked about numerous times in the past couple of years and was something we we're reserved about doing because of how it cuts people out which sucks.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #231
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Mainly, I'm just frustrated because it's been so awesome playing with y'all.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #232
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Everyone is welcome to tryout. As a matter of fact 3 people who tried out are now on the team so it is far from BS. Spike you are more then welcome to try out, Diverce had to so did Flash, Koop, Dobbles, Shick etc. The tryouts make for a fair way to pick the team and allow the team to be competitive.

The current team was picked due to compatibility and participation. It is a video game and it should be fun, trying to find a way to make 16 people happy is near impossible. Creating a competitive team and having like minded people who want to play competitively vs casually allows them to have fun, Just like creating a casual team would make the casual players have fun.

I understand that some people are angry but there is 2 sides to each story.

Kip I noticed your comments about the playoffs last year. I want to paint you a picture from the other side:

The "evil" roster players play 95% of the games each month then get excited to play playoffs because of all the time they put in. Then the "casual" I show up 1-2 times a week player comes in and complains that they should get to play playoffs. Yes its a team and everyone should play but playoffs are the reward for time spent in this game and those that play the most should get the reward otherwise there is no point.

I have only been with the Fatas since NHL09 so there is certainly more people who have played longer then me but on the other side of the coin there is only one player who has played more games then me for the Fata's.

This decision was not made to single people out or to make some people angry.
I am not trying to cause issues here I am just having a hard time understanding the posts in the last few days with people being angry about not being on the team or being cut when all it takes is to try out for the team and take it from there.
I guess I just figured after 4 years I wouldn't have to try out anymore.

I know I'm not the best player, I just tried to do what I could for the team. I tried to keep things basic and cut down on my shooting, but other then that I didn't know what else to do.

It's tough for guys like Kip and I who have been around since the start. I think we're the only two long term guys who aren't on the team and still play fairly regularly. It sucks that after being with the team this long we're suddenly not good enough
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #233
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:

It's tough for guys like Kip and I who have been around since the start. I think we're the only two long term guys who aren't on the team and still play fairly regularly. It sucks that after being with the team this long we're suddenly not good enough
Well, in my case at least, it's not sudden. I've been team whipping boy since 09. Alas, I am saddened.

I have gotten better this year. Not enough, apparently.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #234
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well, in my case at least, it's not sudden. I've been team whipping boy since 09. Alas, I am saddened.
Logan Stajan?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #235
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Logan Stajan?

in my wound.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #236
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess I just figured after 4 years I wouldn't have to try out anymore.
It's wasn't about seniority at all. It's purely about your skill as an individual player.

Quote:
I know I'm not the best player, I just tried to do what I could for the team. I tried to keep things basic and cut down on my shooting, but other then that I didn't know what else to do.
One thing in your game that we'll like to see improve from you in is your cycle and play making ability in the offensive zone. While you cut down on shooting, we want to see progression in offensive awareness so you make better decision in picking the best option in knowing when you should pass to continue the cycle, maneuver with the puck, take the shot (wrister or slap shot), or dump the puck into the corner.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #237
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
It's wasn't about seniority at all. It's purely about your skill as an individual player.

One thing in your game that we'll like to see improve from you in is your cycle and play making ability in the offensive zone. While you cut down on shooting, we want to see progression in offensive awareness so you make better decision in picking the best option in knowing when you should pass to continue the cycle, maneuver with the puck, take the shot (wrister or slap shot), or dump the puck into the corner.
And telling me stuff like that would have been good to know, but you hardly ever hear anything, so how do you know what to improve?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #238
Dime_On_Flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Hi funk, you played very well with us. The decision to put someone on the team is a team decision and we have not received all the feedback necessary to make that decision. I strongly suggest trying out this week so the others that did not get a chance to play with you see how you play, I am more then confidant in saying if you play the same way you have an extremely good chance of being on the roster.
Hey Die! Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely try to get in some games this week. I guess I haven't played with Jobo enough to let him make that decision. I thought I did pretty well too, although I must say that this is the first year i'm playing EASHL. I've really reeled in my pinching and shots to limit turnovers and GA. I feel with say 20 plus more games I'll feel more comfortable contributing offensively. For now, it's all about making smart plays and puck possession.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #239
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And telling me stuff like that would have been good to know, but you hardly ever hear anything, so how do you know what to improve?
We'll be contributing feedback more under this structure. Beforehand since it was a open fun club feedback wasn't instigated to be provided unless asked (or in PS3 chat).
Old 10-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #240
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

i would like to give my 2 cents...

there has been a constant identity crisis for this team since about december of 2008 IMO. thats when there became a core of players that played regularly and got pretty good. i include myself in that group though i was definitely just tagging along with the santos's, koop, jobo, and chuck.

it was then that it switched from the fun team (i still remember how much run russic, whitetom, and i had the first couple months) to one that was decent. from a personal standpoint, i went from the goofball that bottomed out at like -200 to a positive player that contributed to the team.

ever since that time, there was hidden friction between many of the core players and many of the casual players. i actually initiated a dicussion between the core players in the summer of 2009 because of the differing opinions on how the team should be. we eventually agreed on trying the 2 teams which did eventually fail. however, a lot of the tension never went away. as someone that played hundreds of games those first 2 years (and was the quasi leader in the first year cpfatas.com anyone???) i talked to a lot of people and got all the different viewpoints.

with all that said, like diemenz stated, most of the time the team was just the small core group. and many people of that group didnt appreciate working hard to have a good record only to see it 'ruined' by random people stopping in a couple of times a month.

so what it all comes down to in my eyes is this: several of you have complaints that the team is not being handled correctly. however, you are forgetting that many other people had complaints that the old system wasn't working either. and realistically, you still have the option to play in the same environment: one thats open and casual and fun. you even have the ability to play with some of the guys like human torch that want to still play casually.

so i guess i dont see what the big deal is? would it be better if jobo renamed this team so something new and the casual team continues the fatas tradition? its not as if 8 people forming a new team is unheard of.

anywho, i have rambled WAY too long about some online drama about an online hockey team.

have a good night guys
Closed Thread

Tags
blinkingricorules , dobblesoutofretirement? , elitetop100herewecome! , send me