Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2017, 02:08 PM   #61
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Arizona, Carolina, Colorado, Detroit, Edmonton (not for long), NJ, NYI, Tor, and LV.
The Oilers will come off that list any day, the Islanders are working on Tavares, and Toronto's clock is ticking.

So it's basically the Flames and the lottery teams. Sweet.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #62
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
Here we go. Thank that idiot Chiarelli in trying to sign McDavid for $13M a season. The big contract like over $10M to good player will now start coming up.

Crosby averages over 10.5M a year until he's 35.
Parise averages over 10M a year until he's 35.
Weber averages 11M a year until he's 35.
Suter averages 10M a year until he's 35.
Ovechkin, going forward, makes 10M a year now until he's 35. He signed his contract in 2008 with a cap-hit of 9.5M+.
Lundqvist makes over 10M a year until he's 35.
Kane and Toews make 10.5M a year.
Kopitar averages over 10M a year until he's 35.
Burns is making 10M a year until he's 35 and signed until he's 39.
Benn makes 9.5M a year.
Subban makes 9M a year despite signing while still an RFA.

Top tier players have been making 10M in their primes long before McDavid entered the league. Price's contract will see him earn it past his prime, but no one should really be surprised that he reached 10M.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #63
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

Crosby averages over 10.5M a year until he's 35.
Parise averages over 10M a year until he's 35.
Weber averages 11M a year until he's 35.
Suter averages 10M a year until he's 35.
Ovechkin, going forward, makes 10M a year now until he's 35. He signed his contract in 2008 with a cap-hit of 9.5M+.
Lundqvist makes over 10M a year until he's 35.
Kane and Toews make 10.5M a year.
Kopitar averages over 10M a year until he's 35.
Burns is making 10M a year until he's 35 and signed until he's 39.
Benn makes 9.5M a year.
Subban makes 9M a year despite signing while still an RFA.

Top tier players have been making 10M in their primes long before McDavid entered the league. Price's contract will see him earn it past his prime, but no one should really be surprised that he reached 10M.
I believe he was referring to cap hit.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #64
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

IMO if Price keeps playing the way he does up until his late 30s early 40s, he'll be a top 3-5 goalie of all time.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #65
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I believe he was referring to cap hit.
Players get paid in money, not cap-hit. Why would Price care that Weber's cap hit is 7M when he knows Weber will average 10M a year in actual cash on his current contract until he retires? Players care about money, cap-hit might as well be Itchy and Scratchy Money.

Which again, players have been making 10M a year in their prime long before McDavid entered the league. Chiarelli has nothing to do with this contract.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #66
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Players get paid in money, not cap-hit. Why would Price care that Weber's cap hit is 7M when he knows Weber will average 10M a year in actual cash on his current contract until he retires? Players care about money, cap-hit might as well be Itchy and Scratchy Money.

Which again, players have been making 10M a year in their prime long before McDavid entered the league. Chiarelli has nothing to do with this contract.
I never said they did.

I don't care what players actually get paid, I am only concerned about cap it, as it affects the team on the ice.

I'm looking at it from the fans perspective.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #67
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
IMO if Price keeps playing the way he does up until his late 30s early 40s, he'll be a top 3-5 goalie of all time.
No. If you have to win a cup to be considered an all time great, and guys like Ovechkin are automatically dismissed. Why should a goalie get a free pass.?
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:05 PM   #68
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

As the cap increases, the top salaries will also increase. It shouldn't be that hard to understand. The cap has nearly doubled since it was first introduced. Of course the top salaries have gone up too.

In fact, the top salaries haven't kept pace.

Iginla signed a $7 million contract coming out of the lockout. That's equivalent to a $13.46 million cap hit today. Not one player in the NHL has a contract with that big of a cap hit today (even McDavid's rumoured deal will be lower than that and it won't take effect for another year).

Khabibulin signed with Chicago coming out of the lockout for $6.75 million. That's almost $13 million under today's cap.

$10 million on a $75 million cap is like $5.2 million on a $39 million cap. Right now, 3 players have cap hits of at least $10 million for next season. In 2005-06, 22 players had cap hits over $5.2 million.

A $7 million cap hit today is like a $3.64 million hit in 2005-06. In 2005-06, 53 players were above that mark. Right now, for next season, the count is 37.

Last edited by getbak; 07-03-2017 at 01:59 PM.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 03:08 PM   #69
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
No. If you have to win a cup to be considered an all time great, and guys like Ovechkin are automatically dismissed. Why should a goalie get a free pass.?
Because Montreal would be a basement dweller had it not been for Carey Price these past few years. Waiver pick ups like Byron are their key forwards and senior citizens like Markov were their minute eating defenseman.

Can't blame Price for their Scott Gomez era, nor can you blame him for their Subbam/Weber era. They just never have the roster to win a cup.

Last edited by MarkGio; 07-02-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #70
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post

That is nonsense. There are a number of players that would be in the conversation of "all time greats," even without a Stanley Cup on their resume. Ovechkin has been a ridiculously good player for the duration of his career which will end with him as one of the best goal-scorers of all time. Championships are important, but they are far from everything. In the end when comparing Carey Price to Chris Osgood or Alex Ovechkin to Dave Andrechuk the consensus will never change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:17 PM   #71
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

10 million for price seems perfectly reasonable to me.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #72
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
10 million for price seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Absolutely. It is still far more money than I would want my team to tie up in goaltending.

Ultimately this begs the question of what sort of team one wants to build, and I think there is a delicate balance to be struck between skill and depth. I am much more comfortable with the direction that Treliving is going with the Flames than I would be with a team constructed around a +$10 m goalie.

Quote:
Old 07-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #73
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Absolutely. It is still far more money than I would want my team to tie up in goaltending.

Ultimately this begs the question of what sort of team one wants to build, and I think there is a delicate balance to be struck between skill and depth. I am much more comfortable with the direction that Treliving is going with the Flames than I would be with a team constructed around a +$10 m goalie.
Sure but, 10 million for the best goaltender in the world who will be on the ice for all 60 mins a game? He's as close to a sure thing as you can find in the league.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:47 PM   #74
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Sure but, 10 million for the best goaltender in the world who will be on the ice for all 60 mins a game? He's as close to a sure thing as you can find in the league.
I don't disagree, and I think Carey Price's cap hit is perfectly acceptable. I am just not convinced that I would want to build a team around it.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #75
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't disagree, and I think Carey Price's cap hit is perfectly acceptable. I am just not convinced that I would want to build a team around it.
I think if the Flames had Price in net in lieu of Smith + 5 million dollar player (ie, Brouwer + F. Hamilton) they're a monster hockey club.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:58 PM   #76
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I think if the Flames had Price in net in lieu of Smith + 5 million dollar player (ie, Brouwer + F. Hamilton) they're a monster hockey club.
Sure, but is it possible to build such a team from the ground up? I seriously doubt it.

Quote:
Old 07-02-2017, 04:39 PM   #77
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

With Price in net, you can be weaker in another position and he will compensate for that single handedly (although the Habs are arguably mediocre in a couple positions) and he'll allow you to still have a chance against anyone. I don't have an issue with the cap hit either.

Teams look for years for a sure thing in net, and Price is one of very few.

Would you guys hypothetically give up the difference between Smith's cap hit and Price's right now to bring him in? Of course you would.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #78
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Price they're a playoff team, albeit not a contender. Without him...well it isnt pretty.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #79
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
With Price in net, you can be weaker in another position and he will compensate for that single handedly (although the Habs are arguably mediocre in a couple positions) and he'll allow you to still have a chance against anyone. I don't have an issue with the cap hit either.

Teams look for years for a sure thing in net, and Price is one of very few.

Would you guys hypothetically give up the difference between Smith's cap hit and Price's right now to bring him in? Of course you would.
Sure, but that is not remotely possible. There is no conceivable world in which the Flames could bring in Price and his salary sans Smith without also sacrificing something else fairly significant.

Like I said, there is always a delicate balance to be struck, and I remain unconvinced that committing more than $11.0 m of a team's cap to goaltending is wise in the light of that balance.

Quote:
Old 07-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #80
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

People were thinking that a guy like Price should top out at 9 million bucks a year. This is a reasonable deal for him. Frankly he should have been pushing for 12, I mean the rest of that team is hot garbage.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: