Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #41
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really tough to pay any player that kind of money but impossible to let him walk and extremely difficult to trade.

Flames have to be one of the only teams in the league where the highest cap hit is under $7M.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:02 PM   #42
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder how the Habs will get out of this when his knee blows out in a couple years.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #43
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
Here we go. Thank that idiot Chiarelli in trying to sign McDavid for $13M a season. The big contract like over $10M to good player will now start coming up. Next thing you know every single player who had a great season will demand that much. Just look at Draisatl.. one good season in the NHL and they think he deserves $9M plus a season. Radulov is the same thing so who's next? Are we going to have problem when Gaudreau and Monahan's contract renewal comes up?

I am not saying Carey Price or Connor McDavid does not deserve big contract but not that much. There's always an idiot GM that ruins things for the league. Back then it was Glen Sather of NY Rangers and that Philiadelphia GM who's throwing big contracts left and right. Suddenly teams in Canada and small market teams can't compete and bunch of teams were in trouble.
so it's chia's fault for all of this? that makes no sense.
it's not chia who says drai deserves 9 million. he hasn't said anything about number.
wait until drai actually signs a contract or offer sheet before you spread blame around.

and it isn't the contract of a top 5 player in the world that screws up a salary structure.
wait until chia pulls a kevin lowe before you nail him to the cross.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #44
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Yeah draisaitl really doesn't have the track record to be demanding 9 or 10 mil. You really need a longer resume of that production to demand that amount...aka be considered 'bonafide'.

Johnnys 78 point season earned him 6.75. I think that should roughly be Leon's ballpark as well. But I sincerely hope Edmonton follows this new trend and caves for 9 because I want to see them burn in cap hell and suffer poor depth for the duration of those contracts.

Gaudreau had virtually no leverage in his contract negotiation, whereas Draisaitl has nearly all of it. That makes the difference in what he is actually worth, and on the market he is worth over $9.0 m. Of course, I don't believe he is actually good enough of a player to earn that contract, but that is another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 01:09 PM   #45
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Canadiens sign Carey Price to 8 Year, $10.5m Contract Extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
...and it isn't the contract of a top 5 player in the world that screws up a salary structure.

He has already done that. The contracts he gifted to Lucic and Russell are franchise crippling.

Quote:
Old 07-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #46
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I wonder how the Habs will get out of this when his knee blows out in a couple years.
Insurance and LTIR will take care of that nicely.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #47
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Ah well, have fun carrying that team for the rest of your career Carey.
His names "Carey" for a reason
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #48
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Flames have to be one of the only teams in the league where the highest cap hit is under $7M.
It's called not having any elite players who have reached UFA at a reasonably young age.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #49
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
It's called not having any elite players who have reached UFA at a reasonably young age.

I think the Flames have been incredibly fortunate. The salary structure and the timing of their free agent extensions have all come at fortuitous times and under favourable conditions. The fact that the current team will likely not have a +$7.0 m contract against the cap for at least three more years is a massive advantage, and helps to illustrate why Treliving has approached this summer with such urgency.

Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #50
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
so it's chia's fault for all of this? that makes no sense.
it's not chia who says drai deserves 9 million. he hasn't said anything about number.
wait until drai actually signs a contract or offer sheet before you spread blame around.

and it isn't the contract of a top 5 player in the world that screws up a salary structure.
Lucic says hi.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #51
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I'm not saying they should trade him, I'm just saying that in the cap world it's pretty funny how one of the league's top players can instantly become untradeable at the stroke of a pen.

He's the best goalie in the league (IMO). Despite that however, the contract he just signed makes him virtually untradeable.
Just wanted to highlight this word because people said that Luongo was untradeable too. It wouldn't shock me to see Price traded at some point. The Habs haven't shown any ability to properly build a team in years, so I'm betting he'll want out at some point.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #52
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think the Flames have been incredibly fortunate. The salary structure and the timing of their free agent extensions have all come at fortuitous times and under favourable conditions. The fact that the current team will likely not have a +$7.0 m contract against the cap for at least three more years is a massive advantage, and helps to illustrate why Treliving has approached this summer with such urgency.
Yup. The timing of getting Giordano, Brodie, Gaudreau and Monahan signed was perfect.

They have Tkachuk and (eventually) Bennett looming, but with the salary structure in place, and assuming their window will actually be open by then, hopefully they can get done under the same umbrella.

We are sitting in really good shape for the medium term.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #53
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I smell an aggravating injury that is well enough documented to pull a Hossa
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipper_3434 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #54
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the way Bergevin work (in the same sense that I love the way Chiarelli works). He knows he has to re-sign Price, Galchenyuk, Markov, maybe Radulov. So, what's the logical move? Trade the one guy that might have contributed significantly on an ELC (Sergachyov) for another expensive RFA.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #55
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Here we go. Thank that idiot Chiarelli in trying to sign McDavid for $13M a season. The big contract like over $10M to good player will now start coming up. Next thing you know every single player who had a great season will demand that much. Just look at Draisatl.. one good season in the NHL and they think he deserves $9M plus a season. Radulov is the same thing so who's next? Are we going to have problem when Gaudreau and Monahan's contract renewal comes up?

I am not saying Carey Price or Connor McDavid does not deserve big contract but not that much. There's always an idiot GM that ruins things for the league. Back then it was Glen Sather of NY Rangers and that Philiadelphia GM who's throwing big contracts left and right. Suddenly teams in Canada and small market teams can't compete and bunch of teams were in trouble.
Much as I am certain you feel really big needlessly bringing the Oilers into this, I would like to point out that Jarome Iginla's contract in 2006-07 (the first year the cap was properly set against HRR) was a greater percentage of our payroll than Price's deal is.

You're overreacting to something that isn't new. At all.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:44 PM   #56
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:

The league has cost certainty. If you think these contracts are overpayments, then by definition a GM who does not follow along would have an advantage. Nothing is being "ruined". If that's not the case, then the star players are merely getting compensation appropriate for their talents, and I have no objection to that.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #57
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
He has already done that. The contracts he gifted to Lucic and Russell are franchise crippling.
but Ozsome was saying chia is ruining the salary structure of the league. chia is just screwing his own team, not others.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #58
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Really tough to pay any player that kind of money but impossible to let him walk and extremely difficult to trade.

Arizona, Carolina, Colorado, Detroit, Edmonton (not for long), NJ, NYI, Tor, and LV.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #59
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Sign and trade? Get 'er done Treliving.
Use the Jedi mind trick on them .brad:you wanna trade Carey Price to me . Marc: I wanna trade carey price to you. Bradk .deal
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #60
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Arizona, Carolina, Colorado, Detroit, Edmonton (not for long), NJ, NYI, Tor, and LV.
Within one year's time the Oilers and the Maple Leafs will have more than one +$7.0 m contract on the books for many years. The Flames will not for at least another three. And look at the rest of that list: with the lone exception of NYI virtually every one of those teams is awful.

Quote: