Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2017, 09:30 AM   #361
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Why use a better cut? That is the whole point of the Sous Vide. Buy a crappy and cheap cut and turn it into something worth way more.
I agree with Delgar. I personally prefer having the fat with the meat. Eye of round isn't as tasty as certain other cuts. Sous vide isn't improving the meat to the point where it's comparable to a good steak with a bit more fat flavor.

That being said... maybe sous vide eye of round with a good wedge of butter could work...
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #362
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ask the butcher for a 'fat cap' and tie it on. I do that for any lean roasts I do in the oven. Some supermarkets put a few out by the roasts.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #363
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saw this bumped. Expected pictures of KD sous vide...a little disappointed, but every time I see pictures of a roast in this thread, I become more and more motivated to join the cause.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:18 AM   #364
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Even things like eggs can be cooked in really neat ways using sous vide.

Link
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #365
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I did a sirloin roast for about 27 hours and it was damn near Prime Rib consistency. I flew a little too close to the sun with how rare it was, but my mom was the only one who complained. She likes steaks cooked well though, so she forfeited her opinion years ago.

Doing burgers tonight.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #366
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
That being said... maybe sous vide eye of round with a good wedge of butter could work...
1) Pick up a cheap injector off amazon.
2) Inject with a nice whiskey/bourbon butter, or a bleu cheese butter. Put a bit in the bag, save a bit for searing with.
3) Eat profits.

Although I'm kind of weird, I prefer lean cuts at the best of times.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #367
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Wagyu. Delicious, A-5 Wagyu. The food of the gods.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #368
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Wagyu. Delicious, A-5 Wagyu. The food of the gods.
Obviously, there's exceptions to every rule.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #369
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Cast iron worked fine for me but I prefer the torch. As recommended earlier in this thread I've been using a bernzomatic ts8000 and it's perfect. Pat dry with paper towel, sear for about 30 seconds on each side to get it nice and scorched. Delicious.
I have the same one, with the yellow MAP/Pro canister. Do you have a Searzall or do you just blast it direct? I find I get a better result if I go slower (takes longer than 30 seconds, and you need to be further away).
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #370
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any suggestions for something that I can make for an office pot luck tomorrow? I would like to use cook sous vide as a few people are curious how it works.
Thanks
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #371
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Any suggestions for something that I can make for an office pot luck tomorrow? I would like to use cook sous vide as a few people are curious how it works.
Thanks
it would be tough to make something sous vide as most recipes calls for searing.

I remember seeing recipes for cheescakes in individual mason jars, that might be a good one?
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me_dennis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #372
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks
If you are doing sous vide in the office, do something that's quick. I did (well, we did, my wife is finally getting on board!) sous vide cod last night.

It was left in for an hour but only needed 40 minutes according to the recipe. Pre-sprinkle with salt and pepper, add a little fat (we added a little coconut oil) bag and cook at 138. You could pre-bag at home and finish in the office.

The result is nothing short of phenomenal. At a potluck I'd then take it out, put it into flaked pieces or with toothpicks for people to have small bits.

It was better than my prior favourite fish, which was cedar planked salmon cooked over charcoal. Seriously, the texture and juiciness of the cod was amazing and like nothing I had before.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #373
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does that break the unwritten "no fish in the lunchroom" rule?
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #374
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Does that break the unwritten "no fish in the lunchroom" rule?
I think that may be more from microwaving fish, which never turns out well.
Fish can be amazing with sous vide. You can make this neat medium rare fish that you can't really make in any other way.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/t...de-salmon.html
Old 02-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #375
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with Delgar. I personally prefer having the fat with the meat. Eye of round isn't as tasty as certain other cuts. Sous vide isn't improving the meat to the point where it's comparable to a good steak with a bit more fat flavor.

I suppose my values are different. The best experiences I have had is buying an inexpensive cut and turning it to extremely tender slices.

What I usually do with my roast is stuff is with garlic, salt & pepper, thyme and oil and let it cook for 24 hours. It has been the same experience every time. The more expensive cuts seem to be the same to me.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 02-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #376
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Made pork for the first time recently. It was surprisingly tender even though the meat in the picture doesn't look pink. Next time I'll cook it at a lower temperature.

Last edited by activeStick; 02-13-2017 at 04:15 PM.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 04:55 PM   #377
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Made pork for the first time recently. It was surprisingly tender even though the meat in the picture doesn't look pink. Next time I'll cook it at a lower temperature.
In my experience with pork I like it better medium, around the 140 degree mark. I tried it at 136 but the texture just isn't right. When it's no longer pink but still super juicy it's perfect. Also, avoid fatty cuts of pork with marbling like loin chops, the fat just doesn't render at such low temperatures, tenderloin is really good. I'd suggest cooling it off before searing though, especially with thinner cuts like chops or they will overcook by the time you get a crust on them.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #378
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
1) Pick up a cheap injector off amazon.
2) Inject with a nice whiskey/bourbon butter, or a bleu cheese butter. Put a bit in the bag, save a bit for searing with.
3) Eat profits.

That sounds like a one way ticket to food heaven... possibly not metaphorically.

Quote:
Thanks
Costco meatballs with a blueberry jam glaze?
Pre-made wings?

Cheese cake isn't bad, but it might not be the best food choice to showcase the sous vide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
I suppose my values are different. The best experiences I have had is buying an inexpensive cut and turning it to extremely tender slices.

What I usually do with my roast is stuff is with garlic, salt & pepper, thyme and oil and let it cook for 24 hours. It has been the same experience every time. The more expensive cuts seem to be the same to me.
Fair enough. But we use our sous vide differently. Rather than use it as a full on cooking method, I use it as a food prep method to shorten my regular cook times.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #379
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Fair enough. But we use our sous vide differently. Rather than use it as a full on cooking method, I use it as a food prep method to shorten my regular cook times.
I have a question about this. Would you sous vide some chicken, store in the fridge/freezer and the finish it a few days later to make a quick supper when time is short?

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #380
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's an interesting question. I certainly wouldn't freeze it but the fridge should be okay. I wonder if it would be best to leave it in the vacuum seal or get the meat out of the juices if it's going to sit for a day or more?
You'd also probably want to bring it up to room temperature before searing so the middle isn't cold?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote